7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2010 7:05 AM by npate6 RSS

Web Setup Freezing - Can't Finish Internet Viewing Setup

npate6

Has anyone else had a problem where the online set up is freezing?  I'm at the URL http://setup.slingbox.com/web-setupassistant/start/start and it's just frozen and not responding, just stuck at "Initializing Sling Accounts"

Using Firefox 3.5.9, Flash plugin 10.0.32.18, WebSlingPlayer 1.4.0.88.

I'm using the SlingPlayer 2.0 to try and complete the setup and am running into problems.

Basically I'm trying to see if there is a problem with the setup of my Slingbox.  Internally, I've manually set the router to use the IP of 192.168.1.254 for the MAC of my Slingbox, set up port forwarding for 5001 to this IP, and set the Slingbox IP using Setup Assistant (and verified in Slingbox directory) that this is the IP that the Slingbox is using.

Unfortunately I don't think the Slingbox is responding (tested using the GRC port tester -- still get no response).  I tried to do some more investigation on support.slingbox.com but the IP shown there is incorrect (it's showing an old version and old IP in there, so I'm not sure if that might have something to do with the problem).  Is there any way to force an update of the info that is showing there?  I did get a new router recently but am fairly technical and have done the hard reset + router setup noted above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Re: Web Setup Freezing - Can't Finish Internet Viewing Setup
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi npate6,

As long as 192.168.2.254 isn't in your router's DHCP block and you entered the correct subnet mask, what you've manually configured sounds about right.  What you're describing probably doesn't have anything to do with the new router though.

All your router really needs to do is handle incoming traffic on port 5001 and send it on to the Slingbox, either with port forwarding as you've done or with UPnP.  Slingbox setup should run properly regardless of what your router is doing with its firewall.

Web setup is a nice tool, but it's good that you switched over and tried the SlingPlayer app.  Both should work, but I'd suggest sticking with the SlingPlayer app until this gets resolved.

Try connecting your Slingbox directly to your computer via ethernet.  If it doesn't show up as a LAN-connected device in the SlingPlayer's directory, do another hard reset.  That should allow you to get in there and configure it.  Since you're going to enter manual network settings anyway, it doesn't matter that you're running Setup with out the router. 

Give that a shot, see if it works.  Note carefully what happens... if it doesn't work, your observations will help us sort out what's going on from here.

Good luck !

- Az

npate6

Thanks for your help so far Az.  I was doing some thinking and realized that I have a two-router setup since the cable modem we have set up is also a router, then we have another router behind it.

Here's how I have it set up right now (going to go backwards to make it easier):

1) Slingbox Pro HD - static IP 192.168.1.237 assigned by Secondary Router.  Port set to 5002.  Gateway 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0.slingbox_settings.jpg

slingbox_props.jpg

2) Secondary Router - Netgear WGR614v10 - static IP 192.168.0.2 assigned by Primary Router (internal IP is 192.168.1.1).  Port forwarding turned on for 5002 to forward TCP/UDP to 192.168.1.237.  No firewall.  I set the NAT type to open, even tried to put 192.168.1.237 in the DMZ but did not seem to have any effect.

netgear_forward.jpgnetgear_attached.jpgnetgear_WAN_setup.jpg

3) Primary Router (cable modem) - Motorola SBG 900 - IP 192.168.0.1.  Port forwarding 5002 to 192.168.0.2 (secondary router) and also configured to let port 5002 through the firewall.

motorola_forward.jpgmotorola_firewall.jpg

I used a port scanner utility (http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/) to verify that port 5002 is responding on that port (it wasn't responding when I forgot to forward the primary router to the secondary router properly).

Scanning ports on 24.13.188.88

24.13.188.88 is responding on port 5002 (rfe).

Checked on www.canyouseeme.org, got:

Success: I can see your service on 24.13.188.88 on port (5002)
              Your ISP is not blocking port 5002

However, the internet setup still won't complete (both web setup and the sling player application, both doing it with the manual setup).  Been messing around with this for 4 hours today and am getting ready to give up.  Hoping there's something small I may have missed if you can help point out any trouble spots with the setup.

This setup used to work without the Netgear router in the middle (just using the Motorola SBG 900), but needed to add the Netgear because the wireless on the Motorola was terrible.  So I know the hardware is good, but something is still wrong with the setup.

Thanks again for all your help and any advice you can give!

eferz Expert

Btw, can you connect locally via web or slingplayer app?

I tried to do some more investigation on support.slingbox.com but the  IP shown there is incorrect (it's showing an old version and old IP in  there, so I'm not sure if that might have something to do with the  problem).  Is there any way to force an update of the info that is  showing there?

Sling's Location Services is directory on the internet.  It acts like  a specialized Dynamic DNS for Slingbox.  It keeps a listing of Slingbox  Accounts, IDs, and IP addresses.  Since most residential ISPs assign a  dynamic IP address to thier customers, the Locator Service tracks IP  information.  The IP information is gathered from an identification  packet from your Slingbox.  It will intermittently send out an  information packet to msg.sling.com.  The packet is sent  through TCP 5678, 80, 443, 8080, 3490, 3074, or 3724.  It will cycle  through each port and will stop when it receives an acknowledgement.

When you  use the web Slingplayer on www.sling.com, it is already propagated with  the information from the Sling Location Services; however, the stand  alone Slingplayer application, will get the information from 70.42.244.144:443 or 63.97.127.35:80.   (Actually its a range of IP address, which you can get from using  netstat -o and matching the pid with taskmanager.)  Slingplayer Mobile  for iPhone uses dish.sling.com

You can also get some information from Slingplayer 2.0, command bar | Help | About Slingbox <model> (Alt +E) | Information Tab

Lightek

Mine gets 70% done and and goes no further. I have tried multiple times.  Please tell me how to finish this.  I don't do techie stuff on pnp home equipment so please tell me what to run next that will get this stupid thing to install and let me watch my shows.

Mary