12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2013 2:04 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Windows 8 Issues with SlingPlayer. Alternative offline method?

wayne449

Does Sling have any new alternative for the SlingPlayer program that does not involve going online?

I  mostly use my Slingbox Solo from home, it is plugged into my DirecTV  receiver and I use my laptop to watch while at home on my own network.

The SlingPlayer program is perfect for this as you don't even need an internet connection to connect while at home.

I  just got a new Windows 8 computer and the SlingPlayer program no longer  works properly. The video and audio are terribly out of sync.

My  only way to watch my own slingbox at home is to go through slingbox.com.  This is problematic for me because the way I get online is with a  Verizon mobile USB card so in order to watch the slingbox it is  constantly going over my limited mobile data plan and the quality is  terrible compared to what it was going over my home wifi with the  SlingPlayer program.

Please let me know what I can do to avoid having to use data consuming methods to use the Slingbox.

It seems very strange that Sling no longer offers an offline program to use the Slingbox with.

Forcing everyone to access their Slingbox through the internet doesn't work for everyone as evidenced here.

• Re: Windows 8 Issues with SlingPlayer. Alternative offline method?
          Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello wayne449,

Thanks for using the online answers forum! I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble using SlingPlayer for the web. Unfortunately, there is not a way for the Slingbox to work offline. The reason is because it has to connect to our servers before it can be accessed.

However, I understand that the audio and video are out of sync in Watch on Slingbox.com. This issue may be resolvable. It could be that hardware acceleration is enabled in the web SlingPlayer.

Below is a link to an article that explains how to find out if hardware acceleration is enabled, and how to disable it:

However, as for the low bandwidth issue with your Verizon mobile USB card, the only thing I could recommend is increasing your data plan, or looking into a different hotspot with more bandwidth.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

wayne449

That is utterly moronic.

I have had a Slingbox since 2005 and have been able to access it offline since day one with the Classic model using Slingplayer.

I can still access it right now offline with Slingplayer, just completely out of whack on audio and video. Never an issue with XP, Vista, or 7. Just 8.

Clearly the Slingbox does not have to connect to your servers as I am able to connect without internet right now. If there were a properly maintained Slingplayer program this wouldn't be a problem.

Majority of usage is inside the home where it is located. Having to connect online just to have it loop all the way back to me doesn't make logical sense.

The difference in quality is drastic between connecting directly to the slingbox and having to connect over the internet.

Having to change data plans or having to deal with internet at all in order to connect to a slingbox sitting 2 rooms away is going to result in the slingbox going in the trash before I even remotely entertain the thought of doing that.

If there is no way to keep using the Slingbox like the way it was originally designed to operate for offline methods then you have done nothing but alienate the people who bought into the product and stuck with it for all these years.

test350 Novice

I run SlingPlayer v2.0.4.522 under Windows 8 and have no issue with lipsync (or anything else), when accessing my Pro HD.  I don't have a Solo.

"Unfortunately, there is not a way for the Slingbox to work offline. The reason is because it has to connect to our servers before it can be accessed."

Read that statement carefully.  While you might have privacy or security concerns about Sling Media tracking usage, where you connect from, etc., that is unrelated to your present problem.  When operating properly, the video stream from a local Slingbox does not flow over the Internet, whether you are using the standalone player or the web-based one.  The connection mentioned by Tyler is only for authentication and information gathering functions.  The data transferred is only a few kilobytes and should have negligible impact on your mobile Internet usage.

However, Sling Media also has a "relay" system, which is used when a direct streaming connection can't be established.  In Relay mode, the video stream from a Slingbox flows over the Internet to a relay server managed by Sling Media (it's physically in the Amazon cloud).  The relay server then forwards the stream over the Internet to the viewing device.

It appears that when you use the Web-based player, something goes wrong that is causing Relay mode to be invoked.  You can confirm this by holding the Ctrl key and left-clicking in the video window.  The Statistics window will open.  When working properly Stream Type should be TCP.

You can do the same thing in the standalone player; hold down Alt and Shift then type I (for Info).

The most common cause of unnecessarily selecting Relay is improper settings in a software or hardware firewall.

wayne449

The reason why it goes through the internet is because I have it connected to the Verizon USB mobile internet which the Slingbox is not seen as a local device on.

I have no hardwired internet at this location, it simply doesn't exist. It is either Satelite, Mobile, or Dial Up. No Cable or DSL here.

Even if I have wifi turned on to the local network that the slingbox is connected to the Slingbox.com player goes 100% through the internet.

Having to connect in this manner is not feasible for me.

I have tried with a Solo and a Classic and have pretty bad sync with the same version. 2.0.4.522.

I have played around with as many settings as I could but the sync issue is very bad.

Is there anything special you did or had to install to make 2.0.4.522 work on Windows 8 or do you think it is specific to the Pro HD?

test350 Novice

"... connected to the Verizon USB mobile internet which the Slingbox is not seen as a local device on."

Please explain your home network setup in as much detail as possible.  What kind of router or other device (make and model) is the Slingbox plugged into?   Does the Verizon USB modem plug into that router?  If not, how does the Slingbox get to the Internet?  Are you using Internet Connection Sharing or other routing software on the laptop?  Any other devices on the local network?

wayne449

In order for the Slingbox or anything else within the wifi network to get online when necessary the USB modem plugs into a Cradlepoint router which is the home wifi router. I tend to leave the local area wifi network without the USB modem if necessary to cut down on any data but in order to use Slingbox.com it has to be on. I have another USB modem as well and have tried connecting on both wifi and USB but the quality is the same, very poor as if I were traveling away from home.

The router gives out typical local IP address but I cannot control any of the firewall or port settings done by Verizon.

After that I only have a couple of computers connected over the wifi and the slingbox is hardwired with ethernet. I have tried nothing but the slingbox and my computer being on but with this setup Slingbox.com is unable to see it as a local device. I don't believe this is possible with the way Verizon or any Mobile internet service is configured.

I have tried plugging the computer and the slingbox directly into the router with Verizon USB enabled but Slingbox.com still does not get any better.

If there are firewall settings that have to be adjusted that cannot happen with this internet configuration, Verizon doesn't allow it.

The local firewall settings on the Cradlepoint router are behind another firewall that Verizon maintains for the mobile internet users.

test350 Novice

Do you have a conventional router to try?  Plug the Slingbox into a LAN port on the router.  Also connect your laptop, using Ethernet or Wi-Fi.  Connect the normal router's WAN port to a LAN port on the Cradlepoint and plug in the Cradlepoint's USB modem.  You should now have Internet access from both laptop and Slngbox, with a clean direct connection between them.  With luck, you'll be able to power down the Cradlepoint (ensuring no mobile data usage) and local Slingbox access will continue to function.

alanrichey42 Master

Try Slingplayer V1.5 (http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000206.html).    That was completely independent of the Sling servers, which only became important in V2.0.   Some of us 'old-timers' still have it installed to use when the servers go down.

wayne449

Are there any confirmed reports 1.5 working on Windows 8? I can't even get it to install. It just hangs shortly after it starts the install process.

I am running Windows 8 64 bit if that matters.

2.0 seems to work independent of the servers too if needed since I have been using it for years to connect while at home with internet access disabled.

I just don't set any Slingbox account and it always worked without needing internet.

alanrichey42 Master

Good point.   I just installed V1.5 on my WIN8-64 machine.  It installed OK, once I had uninstalled V2.0, and it starts OK and senses the local Slingbox, but unfortunately the video freezes and doesn't refresh.  So you can forgot about that suggestion.

However, after reinstalling V2.0 that worked perfectly with no sign of video/audio sync issues.

Have you tried a different computer ?   It seems odd that you got both those problems when I don't.

wayne449

I tried a different Windows 8 computer in addition to a clean install of Windows 8 on the same computer.

Audio is 3 to 5 seconds behind the video no matter what I do.

Is there anything else you remember doing with your install?

I have the Slingplayer 2.0.4 directly downloaded from Sling's website

This one here: http://download.slingmedia.com/player/pc/SlingPlayer-2.0.4-Setup.exe

And I enabled .NET 3.5 as requested.

It installs fine, everything looks fine visually but the audio sync is the only real issue.

Both computers I tried are fairly similar. Windows 8 64 bit.

One is Lenovo with Intel i5 3210M

The other is ASUS with Intel i3 3110M

Both have 4GB RAM and are using the internal Intel Graphics.

No issue with Windows 7.

So far my solution has been to partition the hard drive on my new computer and install Windows 7.

Slingplayer is my only program that has issues running on Windows 8 so far.

alanrichey42 Master

By coincidence I got a new Windows 8-64 laptop yesterday.    The browser plug in on Firefox worked perfectly, but I also installed the standalone V2.04 as well.   And I can confirm that when you watch a local Slingbox there is an audio sync problem.  Mine is not as bad as yours, probably only about 1 second.   Interestingly, if I watch a remote Slingbox then there are no issues at all and the audio is synced perfectly.   Most odd.