3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2013 1:52 PM by Maxcats RSS

Slingbox 350/500 Is It One Audio Input Only?

Maxcats Novice

Am I correct that the 350/500 are both NOT designed to share the one audio input  (RCA red/white) between component and composite video sources?

So it is ONLY one TV source with video and audio together on the 350/500?

The other input (either composite or component) is video alone with no audio?

• Re: Slingbox 350/500 Is It One Audio Input Only?
          test350 Novice

There is only one set of audio inputs, though they can be used with both video inputs.  A typical solution is to connect the audio outputs of  both sources to the Slingbox, using Y connectors.  Then, you have to ensure that only one of the sources is turned on at a time.  If they are both on, you may hear a mixture of the two soundtracks, or badly distorted audio, depending on the devices.  With a few devices, a Y connector won't work well, because one device will load down the other's audio output, even when turned off.  In such cases, you'll need to use an external remote-controlled audio or A/V switching device.

• Re: Slingbox 350/500 Is It One Audio Input Only?
            Maxcats Novice

I'm an audiophile from decades ago and long experience swapping leads with dire consequences has me nervous about Y-Splitters and other dubious work arounds!

At the moment my source is a Tivo which can not be turned off, so my 350 is reduced to one video/audio source and one silent video-only source on composite.

The online 350 Support section says:

"The Slingbox 350 is designed for only one A/V device at a time. However, you could use the remaining available video input (composite or component) for another device without sound, like a security camera, as long as it uses the proper connector."

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000211.html