7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2015 5:19 PM by tweintraub RSS

TiVo Mini

GopherFan

Hi - I'm planning on getting a Slingbox soon and was wondering about how I can set it up.  Briefly, I have a TiVo Premiere XL4 attached to my main TV and it is directly connected to my wireless N router for networking.  I have a TiVo Mini in my bedroom which is connected to the network by MoCA.  Because the Slingbox uses the tuner of the device when I'd be watching remotely on my phone, iPad, etc. I'd like to use the TiVo Mini as the device to attach it to since it is already using up one of the tuners from the main box.  That way, someone could be using the main TV and not get interfered with if I'm on the other side of town watching something on my phone.

So, my questions are about that set up - I can either buy a Slingbox 500 and have it connect to the router wirelessly or I can buy a 350 along with one of TiVo's MoCA adapters.  It would be cheaper to get the 350 and the adapter and since my bedroom TV doesn't have an HDMI input, it wouldn't gain anything from having an HDMI port.  So, would that setup work with the 350?  And if I went the route of getting the 500 instead, is a wireless N connection fast enough to stream out to my phone?

And I guess the one other question I have is to confirm that I can use the TiVo Mini in this capacity - I don't see offhand why it wouldn't work, but I thought it was worth asking.

Thanks for any information you can give me!

• Re: TiVo Mini
          Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello GopherFan,

Thanks for posting in the forums! That's a great question! Tivo Mini will work with the Slingbox 500. However, it is not supported with the Slingbxo 350.

The reason is because the Tivo Mini only has one HDMI output. The Slingbox 350 uses component or composite, which is not an output on the Tivo Mini. Also, the Slingbox 350 does not have HDMI inputs or outputs.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

GopherFan

Thanks for the help, but let me ask a question - is the only reason it won't work with the 350 due to the lack of component or composite outputs on the TiVo Mini?  I ask because if you get a "break-out cable", the Mini does have both of those.  It has a single output (a headphone jack) each for the component and composite outputs and using that cable, it becomes a full set of component and composite outputs.

Maxcats Novice

Yes, if you use the Tivo Mini breakout cable as pictured. It will be OK with the 350. But make sure your Tivo Mini is outputting on its HDMI output AND the component jack simultaneously.

GopherFan

Ok, that's good to know.  As it stands, I won't even be using the HDMI output on my Mini - my bedroom TV is old enough that it doesn't have an HDMI input - it also doesn't have component inputs, so I'll be using the composite connection.  My plan is to run component to the Slingbox and then composite from the Slingbox to the TV and I hope that works.  If not, I can run composite directly from the Mini to the TV while also running the component to the Slingbox, but I'll have to split the sound cables to go to both if I do it that way.

test350 Novice

The Slingbox audio and video outputs are just passthroughs; it cannot encode component video to composite.  However, it should be possible to connect composite video from TiVo to TV, component video from TiVo to Slingbox, analog audio from Tivo to Slingbox, and the Slingbox audio outputs to the TV's audio inputs.

GopherFan

Oh, I see.  That's good to know.  I could also just run the composite video and the audio to the Slingbox and then run them to the TV, but then I lose picture quality through the Slingbox since I'm not using the component connection.  I think I'll follow your model - I'll need to get an extension cable for the composite video since its connector is right next to the audio ones and will not be close enough to the TV to connect, but that's a minor issue.

tweintraub

Where is the TiVo mini breakout cable available for purchase?