2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2013 10:05 AM by ccflyer RSS

Take My Money Slingbox!!

Superballs017

I had the slingbox tuner years ago (used it from 2007-2010) and thinking of giving em a shot again.

Just wanna set it up at my main house and be able to view it at my summer place..but on the actual TV. It's very clear that I can watch it on a computer, smart phone, tablet, etc but as far as TV goes its not very clear. I do have appletv so I'm thinking I can view it on my phone then AirPlay it over to the tv via appletv. Then if that works can you actually access the DVR from the remote location?

At home it would be set up on a tv with the dvr. My Internet connection is right there so I can hardwire it and get good speed with my Comcast Blast Plus. Then at my summer place I have the same speed but will be going wireless. I'm doing that with appleTV right now and movies stream perfect with that. At my summer place ill have a IMac running OSX, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Re: Take My Money Slingbox!!
          OvCollyer Apprentice

Search the forums for "iPad Airplay" before you commit, not to mention "iPad iPhone HQ issues".

They'll happily take your money for the iOS apps and then carelessly go and break them before making a string of broken promises as they spend months trying to fix them. It would actually be quite funny if people hadn't already spent $30!

I gave up a while ago on the Apple TV/Airplay solution as a genuine and reliable method for getting things onto the big screen.

Of course, it might work for you just fine, just make sure you go into it with your eyes open and read this forum carefully!

Other better alternatives for getting onto a TV are the Google TV, Western Digital and Netgear streaming devices, though these aren't perfect either - again be sure research these forums as best you can.

Hope this helps, I'm not saying don't do it, just read up about it so you don't get an unpleasant surprise.

• Re: Take My Money Slingbox!!
            ccflyer

I have a Slingbox HD Pro at my winter home in Florida. At my sumer home I have Apple TV connected to a large Toshiba flat screen TV. When mirroring with Airplay from my MacBook Pro the setup works almost flawlessly and the HD picture is great. However, Airplay does not work with the Slingbox app on my iPad 2.  I can live with this but you'd think it would work considering they're selling the app for $30!