6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2013 11:30 AM by Tyler.Sling RSS

WDTVLive HUB stuttering - firmware 3.11.10...the latest

jfriedrich

Hi guys,

I brought this point up 3 months ago....

The slingplayer app streaming speed is all over the place, even with the new firmware.  Thus, on the 'best HD' setting,  it is unwatchable.  I can put the SAME settings in my browser and get flawless video....The streaming rate stays above 4000...I have a 5M upload speed.

So, I AM GETTING REALLY TIRED OF THE LACK OF SUPPORT AND ANSWERS IN REGARDS TO THIS!!!  I have gotten no answers from WD and nothing from you guys.

Also, the ip showing in the wd slingbox app is incorrect along with the terrible streaming speeds.  Come on guys, it's been 3 months since I brought up this issue.  Can someone maybe shed some light on this?  Is this the common experience using the WD player????

Thanks for everyone's time.

Get this resolved!

Jason

• Re: WDTVLive HUB stuttering - firmware 3.11.10...the latest
          jfriedrich

Well,

To be expected...nothing....

I would like to see a posting that SAYS - "Here are the current issues with this playback device....."

I guess I can post it over and over and maybe something will pop up.  What?  Is it the WD?  Can't handle the playback stream?  Should I switch to a Roku or something else?

All I am looking for is a bloody answer!  HELLO!?!?

OvCollyer Apprentice

From what I can tell they use a different system for receiving the stream on the WD TV and other devices, compared to the web player. It's based on Flash.

In my experience the WD TV is less tolerant to network fluctuations when compared to the web player.

I see no evidence of any genuine attempts to improve the WD TV player. I reported a load of issues and did some fairly detailed testing last year and reported my findings but I've never had the impression it's a priority.

It probably works for the majority, the app is free, so I don't think they really care!

This is evidenced by the attempts (even failed ones) to fix the iPad/iPhone app where far more urgency was seen, presumably because people had paid for the app and it represented a bigger part of their business.

jfriedrich

Hi,

Thanks for the HONEST response...Here is what is really disappointing...Sling has a HUGE captive audience with the WD.  By far, its the most prevalent media device out there.  You can literally knock it outta the park with a kickass app on the WD.  Its a win-win for both Sling and WD to sell the WD players and the Sling devices!  Free or not, the upside is sales on the both ends for the devices.  I, personally am not gonna watch stuff on my ipad when i can put the content up on a huge screen thru the WD...

Come on guys, here is your chance to really make it work.  Its obvious why they went with the WD simply because of sheer volume.  The other players have their strengths, but, for sheer numbers, the WD is the gorilla for now....

Jason

jfriedrich

On another note, I'm cool with paying for the app on the WD as long as it works....Hmmmm, the ipad screen versus my 50" tv...No contest!

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello jfriedrich,

Thanks for posting in the forums! I'm sorry to hear your are getting poor video quality. Could you try switching the quality to auto and see if the issue persists?

Feel free to reply if this does not work for you!

Cheers,

The Sling Moderation Team

jfriedrich

Hi,

Yes, the auto goes to a very mediocre quality.  As mentioned in my previous posts, I get flawless video thru my web browser at the highest setting.  I have more than enough bandwidth to accomodate this.  The WD is another story...Setting it at the MAX HD quality gives me subpar quality, freezing and on the stats showing the wrong public ip....Cearly, I am not the only one seeing this...Check the connected devices forum, same issue.  Test it in your labs and you will see.  PLUS, why not also re-incorporate LAN streaming?  I have enough Cisco enterprise gear to accomplish this thru VPN...Anyways, the majority of the time, its gonna go thru the inet....

As a consumer, instead of me posting all this stuff, maybe just post the known issues such as this so we don't go nuts trying to get to the bottom of this stuff....Bottom line, great WD app means sales for WD and slingboxes....

Thx.