5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2013 1:08 PM by rayt721 RSS

Basic Questions re: Slingbox (pre-purchase)

rayt721

First of all, I would appreciate that if anyone responds to me that you write as though you are addressing a six year old because quite often overly technical responses tend to make me feel like a cartoon character who has just been hit over the head with a mallet. I have no issues with you speaking to me like I'm stupid. I encourage that.

So, I have a television that I cannot wire to (don't ask) and I want to send my whole house DVR service from WOW cable over to it. It's a 47" tv complete with HDMI ports and all kinds of fun ports but keep in mind I do NOT want to use wires other than from a box to the tv. This TV is not near any cable input nor ethernet access. Therefore, in theory, this is the television that I want to receive the slingbox signal, not that I intend to send from.

We have two televisions and the gateway/router is between the two rooms in our office/computer room. We have two desktops and two laptops that are connected to the wifi gateway. That's not the issue. Can I connect the slingbox directly to the gateway router or does it have to connect to the television / cable box that gets the tv and DVR signals? Or do I need the Slingbox 500 for that???

What do I need for the television that I want to receive the signal on? Does this require a USB dongle or a magical elf with an antenna? How can I transit to a stand-alone television if the TV is not attached to the internet? I have a bluray player that gets netflix and a Roku to get hulu plus and a bunch of other channels I will never watch but I want to get access to the taped shows from my DVR and the cable service I am on the "bill us all you can" package.

To further answer my question, how could I receive my tv service/dvr on a remote television, like at my office or a hospital during a nervous breakdown caused by cable tv access??? What would be needed on those televisions??? I understand the whole tablet and smart phone transmission and receiving ... but not how to access a non-internet connected tv.

Can anyone help??? I want to know if wireless transmission is possible through the Slingbox 350 and if it must be attached directly to the "other" television or my gateway. Would the lower price 350 work or do I need the 500???

Again, please write to me in very simple terms.

- Ray (ohio)

• Re: Basic Questions re: Slingbox (pre-purchase)
          OvCollyer Apprentice

Ok firstly you need to connect a Slingbox to both your router and to your DVR. Typically you would therefore locate your Slingbox next to your DVR. Then, if you are within cabling distance of your router you can use a Slingbox 350. Or, if you are not in cabling distance of your router, you can use a Slingbox 500 and connect wirelessly. This is because the 350 does not have wireless capability. There are other differences between the models, but lets not confuse thins to begin with.

That's the basic idea at the Slingbox end.

At the TV viewing end, you then need a device to receive the video that the Slingbox will send. These devices are termed 'connected devices' on this website and you can purchase models from Western Digital, Netgear, Sony or Vizio, and maybe some others I've forgotten. Whichever one you buy you would connect to your TV (typically with an HDMI cable) and also to your network. When you setuo your Slingbox in the first part you would have created a Sling account. You would then sign into your Sling account inside a special Slingplayer application on the connected device and this then lets you control your DVR, view the video and hear the sound.

The best method for connecting the connected device would be a wired connection to your router, but if that isn't possible then the most common solution is to use wireless - all the connected devices will have wireless capabilities.

As far as remote viewing in a TV outside your home goes, it's the same principal. You need one of the connected devices and it needs to connect to the network of the building it's located in, and thus (if things are configured correctly) out onto the Internet and back into your home where the Slingbox is. The extra consideration here is that the upload speed of your home Internet connection, where the Slingbox is located, is directly correlated to the quality of video you will be able to view remotely.

That's the basic idea. There are other things you need to consider such as which type of audio/video cable you use to connect your DVR to your Slingbox, which affects picture quality and there is an alternative to using wireless which makes use of the mains electrical cables in your house but I'm trying not to overload you to begin with.

rayt721

First... thank you for the reply. I am sorta grasping what you're saying but would like to clarify a few questions with more direct questions:

OK... I think I got the answer to attaching the Slingbox to the DVR. I'm good with that. Unless the current cabling has attached the back bedroom TV to the router/gateway DIRECTLY, I will go with the 500 model. I can do that. But, here is where I am now lost:

I need to know about the "connected device" on the receiving end. Thank you for the manufacturer names but can you identify what the "devices" are called if I were to find one? I currently have an LG bluray player that receives netflix and youtube through the internet (through a service called netcast) but I assume that is not a "connected device." Let's say I insist on Vizio, I see something at BestBuy called a "Co-Star Stream Player" for $99.99 ... is that a "connected device?" Would the "connected device" be called a stream player, blu ray player, or ???. That's what I need help with understanding.

Now let's say in order to thank you for your help that I want to come over with a twelve pack and watch something from MY DVR, would I have to bring my "connected device" with me to connect to your connection??? (did that even make sense?) ... How would I know if a remote location TV has the "connected device" capabilities that my Slingbox could connect to? Right now I am specifically thinking about a hospital room television, for example.

But, thank you, thank you for answering the first part of the question clearly ... it's on to what I need for TV that is perplexing me.

- Ray

OvCollyer Apprentice

Basically you need a device that has a 'Slingplayer' app available for it. Yes, they'd generally be referred to as 'Streaming' or 'Media' players.

Here is a link to the section of these forums that lists the ones that have this app.

https://community.sling.com/community/slingplayer_for_connected_devices

The Vizio Co-Star is one such device that has this app, so that would work. But read up about the various players as maybe they will have particular features or services (not necessarily related to Slingbox) that would be of use to you, as these are multi-purpose players.

You would need to bring your 'connected device' to wherever you wanted to view your DVR, unless the place already has one. In which case you'd need to sign into your own Sling account to be able to access your DVR.

It's pretty unlikely a hospital TV would have anything like this, generally these devices are things you would buy for another room in your house or a second home.

Most people would probably use a tablet in that situation (hospital I mean).

The future may improve things if TV become equipped as standard with a technology called 'WiDi' as this would allow you to use your tablet to connect to your DVR and then press a button to 'project' the video onto the TV.

rayt721

Awesome!!! Thank you so much for clarifying. I had written to my cable company (WOW) for explanations and they kept replying with generic terms like "receiver," "box," or "equipment," and while I know they cannot recommend specific makes and models, they were TOO generic to be helpful to me. This answer was exactly what I was looking for and I greatly appreciate the link. These types of forums are fantastic for getting answers but hard to sort by subject name exactly where specific answers can be found. I think I have the information that I need now in order to move forward with the purchase(s) of what I will need. The screwy part of it is the whole reason for this tv nightmare stems from having installed new flooring to the living room and the need to remove the cable that was formerly buried under the carpeting that the wood laminate is replacing... and the fact that the wife is against moving the placement of the television. You did it!!! Thank you for your assistance and odds are I'll be back with dumb questions in the future. Again, thank you!