14 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2013 6:50 PM by SBDC RSS

Seeking Suggestions - Choppy video & audio on Macbook Air

lionelgo

I'm trying to use a Slingbox 350 to stream from the US to Switzerland and viewing with my Macbook Air (2012).  For the first month or so the setup appeared to work pretty well but for the past month and a half every time I launch Watch on Slingbox.com the video/audio would play for 20-30 seconds, stutter and freeze for another 20-30 seconds, and then repeat the cycle.  When viewing the bit rate, I can see it ramping up to almost 1000 Kbps and then slowly drop down to 8-16 Kbps. I've tried to watch on Safari, Chrome and Firefox (all meet Slingplayer specs), reinstalled the Slingbox plugin and even re-installed OSX and nothing has worked.  Chatting with Slingbox support did not provide any solutions.  They think it's either an internet connection issue or a computer issue.  When watching with my wife's Windows PC the signal is fine and uninterupted.  At this point Slingbox unwatchable on my Macbook and as a result impossible to mirror to my AppleTV/LCD TV.  Searching through other discussions it appears that there are some others out there that had similar experiences but I have not found any relevant solutions.  Short of buying an Ipad and paying for the Slingbox app, does anyone out there have any suggestions for getting this to work properly on my Macbook?  Anything would be helpful at this point.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

• Re: Seeking Suggestions - Choppy video & audio on Macbook Air
          Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello lionelgo,

Thank you for posting in the answers forum! I'm sorry to hear you are getting poor audio and video quality. I would recommend checking your advanced settings to verify that hardware acceleration is not enabled.

Below is a link to an article that explains how to do so:

Also, could you go to speedtest.net and tell me the results of your download/upload speed?

Feel free to reply!

Cheers,

The Sling Moderation Team

lionelgo

Thanks for responding.

On my Macbook, the hardware acceleration option does not appear in my advanced settings.  Your website says it's a Windows-only feature (it does appear when using our Windows laptop).

Speedtest results follow:

Results from Switzerland to a Swiss ISP:

Ping: 17 ms

Down: 76.74 Mbps

Up: 7.41 Mbps

Results from Switzerland to 5 different North American ISPs:

Ping: 121 - 140 ms

Down: 7.18 - 74.68 Mbps (42.94 avg)

Up: 2.86 - 5.25 Mbps (4.48 avg)

My guess is this isn't an internet speed issue, it's a plugin for OS X issue.  Any other suggestions?

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello lionelgo,

Thank you for posting in the forums! I'm sorry about that. However, what operating system is your mac currently running on? It seems like more of a computer issue, rather than a network issue. If your Slingbox is model that is older than the 350 or 500, which are our newest models, there is another program you can try to use to connect to your Slingbox via your mac computer.

The Older Desktop SlingPlayer, is a program that you can use to connect to your Slingbox. The program can be launched right from your desktop. I will provide you with a link to the download for it. You will need to click on I have an older Slingbox or an older computer and need to download the legacy SlingPlayer desktop software.

Here is the link:

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

lionelgo

I have a Macbook Air with OS X 10.8.3.  It was purchased at around the same time as the Slingbox 350 (December '12-January '13).

Since both the Macbook and the 350 are new, can I still use slingplayer?  If I can, how do I obtain the necessary login info such as my slingplayer ID?

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello lionelgo,

Thanks for responding! The desktop SlingPlayer would most likely work with your Mac, however it will not work with the Slingbox 350. I do apologize for that inconvenience. Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling any of the browsers, at all?

Have a great day!

Cheers,

lionelgo

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Safari, Chrome and Firefox as well as the Slingbox plugin.  Last week I also completely wiped out everything and reinstalled OS X.  The problem still remains.

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello lionelgo,

Thanks for replying! I'm sorry to hear that did not work for you. At this point in time, it may be best for you to contact a computer technician. They should be able to pinpoint exactly why you are not able to connect on this specific computer.

Have a great day!

Kind regards,

porschet

I have the exact same problem on my white macbook since forever.  I have the slingbox 500.  I have windows 8 installed on my macbook with dual boot and the windows 8 works fine with slingbox.  On the mac side, i've removed all add-ons and tried different browsers but it keeps studdering.  Frustrating but at least it works on windows 8 for me as well as my phone and tablet.

lionelgo

porschet,

Thanks for your comments.  I'm glad you have at least access to your SB through other means.  I'm getting by watching thru my wife's Windows laptop but am extremely frustrated and disappointed that I can't get it to work on my macbook/appletv/LCD TV.  Since my computer is relatively new with not much to back up, last week I completely wiped my macbook, reinstalled OS X and then installed the slinbox plug-in to eliminate any possible conflicts with other add-ons but the same problem reappeared.  Been browsing other forums and we are not alone in having this type of problem.  There doesn't seem to be a single, straightforward solution and I'm not as tech-savvy as I once was so deciphering some of the posts has been a challenge.  Some have had luck blocking port forwarding/TCP and forcing their SB to UDP but I'm not sure if that only applies to the old slingplayer software and/or slingbox models.  I doubt I'm going to follow Slingbox's advice from above and invest the time/money to find a computer technician here in Switzerland to take a look at my new Macbook and probably tell me there's nothing wrong with it.

Will add to this post if I come across anything that may be of help to the SB community at large but right now I'm at a loss.

lionelgo

UPDATE

The problem with choppy/unwatchable video & audio when trying to stream my Slinbgox 350 to my mid-2012 model Macbook Air has apparently resolved itself earlier this week.  Unfortunately I cannot determine exactly how the problem was resolved but can share what events had occured since I had last tried accessing my slingbox:

1) Slingbox had updated Watch on Slingbox.com

2) My spouse had accidentally turned off/on the slingbox while she was in the US

3) I had just updated my laptop with an Apple update specifically targeting the Macbook Air

I regret that I cannot provide a definitive explanation as to how my problem was resolved but wanted to provide at least a little information to other Slingobox users that may encounter a similar problem and also to close out this post.

I was looking foward to finally start using this device at intended, but since yesterday my TIVO Premiere XL4 remote has mysteriously disappeared and replaced with a generic-looking remote that is missing most of the essential buttons.  But that's for another post...