11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2010 3:10 PM by eferz RSS

Ipad Support

nolan

Will the slingbox pro and pro-HD support the new apple ipad?

• Re: Ipad Support
          eferz Expert

The iPad will work with the Slingbox Pro, Solo, and Pro-HD using the SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone in compatibility mode.  That means you'll have a choice to see it 1x or 2x resolution on the iPad using the current iPhone app.  However, they are working on a higher resolution update to SlingPlayer Mobile that  will be a better user experience on the iPad. (at least that's what it says on the respective FAQs for the Solo and ProHD regarding the iPad)

I wouldn't ask directly if the Slingbox Pro will be compatible with the iPad update, or Dana will probably give you a canned response that goes something like  this...

Dear  <insert your name here>,

Thanks for  participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum! We don't comment on  unreleased products or release dates here, but we can tell  you that we  are working hard on a higher resolution update to SlingPlayer Mobile  that will be a great user experience on the iPad.  Here's a link to a  great FAQ page on our website with answers to the  most common questions  about the Slingbox:

http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-solo-faq

http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-prohd-faq

On a side note.... if I remember correctly my old Slingbox Solo and Slingbox Pro were limited to a maximum output resolution of 640x480.  This is fine for the iPhone since it has a native resolution of 480x320.  The Slingbox Pro-HD has an advanced hardware accelerated encoding that allows it to stream in 1080i (1920x540 to be  specific) in real time.  The iPad has a native resolution of 1024x768, so that wouldn't be a problem either.

You can draw your own conclusions, but you should just patiently wait for the update like the rest of us.

These guys should not be selling an app on the apple site for the ipad when the quality is so poor.  I upgraded to a dish network 922 receiver to get the slingbox functionallity then i purchased their app another $29.  This was a waste of money, at least until they release an app with a quality picture.  There a 2 million ipads shipped.  Slingbox you need to catchup.

eferz Expert

If you noticed the current app in the iTunes store is an iPhone application.  It exists specifically in the iPhone Apps category, not in the iPad Apps category.  Compatiblity with Slingplayer Mobile for iPhone is handled by the same compatibiliy as all the other iPhone apps on the iPad.  For some of us this will make due until a native client is available for the iPad.  When one is available, you will see it available in the iPad Apps category.  (and hopefully, it will just be an upgrade to the current app; making it a universal app.)

SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes ...
                    ... Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iPhone
                    OS 3.0 or later. Customer Ratings. Current Version: 1145 ...
                    http://support.slingbox.com/go/dl-spm-iphone

This the result of searching your website. It clearly says iPad.  

eferz Expert

Exactly!

Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.  Requires iPhone
                        OS 3.0 or later. Customer Ratings. Current Version:  1145 ...

There's a difference between compatible, native, universal, and incompatible.

Again, "Slingplayer Mobile for iPhone is handled by the same  compatibiliy as all the other iPhone apps on the iPad."

A native iPhone App has been designed for use with the iPhone.

A native iPad App has been designed for use with the iPad

A universal iPad/iPhone App has been designed to be used on the iPhone and iPad.

An incompatible App cannot operate.

(btw, I'm a customer not a Slingmedia employee)

I realize I am being picky.  Slingbox has a great technology that works well on a PC\Mac. The ipad should not have been a surprise to a company of your size.  It is the perfect device for a Slingbox. From a marketing aspect you should not include the iPad in your descriptions until you have real iPad product. The iphone resolution was poor to begin with on an iPad it is one of the worst apps available .

eferz Expert

From a marketing aspect you should not include the iPad in your  descriptions until you have real iPad product.

I  believe that all non-universal, native iPhone Apps that can run on the iPad will have the same "Requirement: Compatibilty" description.

As I understand, the advertisement  of application compatibilty in the iTunes Store is determined by Apple.

ACC1008762 Newbie

Yeah it "works" on the iPad, but it's not designed for it and is hardly worth watching. They've said for months now that they are working on it. All they have to do adjust the resolution of the video and menus. I can only assume they are taking this long so they can release a whole new version to charge us another $29. We've already spent enough on the iPhone version and Slingbox alone. I hope they don't pull some BS like that.

I will be great when they get this working. I am using a Global Cache to control all my video equipment via wifi.   I still need the IR HEX codes for pip, swap and position to complete my installation.

eferz Expert

255110440524728 wrote:

I will be great when they get this working. I am using a Global Cache to control all my video equipment via wifi.   I still need the IR HEX codes for pip, swap and position to complete my installation.

You may conside looking at this post (https://community.sling.com/thread/3300).  Alan Richey has volunteered to assist people with custom remote profiles.  Though there are some condition, you might want to give that post the once over.