4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2013 2:56 PM by Tyler.Sling RSS

New Slinbox 350 / 500 no longer has an HD tuner?

luvencl

One of the great features of the HD Pro was that it had an HD tuner. It appears the new product lineup no longer support off the air HD. Why??

This is a show stopped for me as I use mainly off the air broadcasts. Please tell me why and if it will ever return? If not, what product out there does?

• Re: New Slinbox 350 / 500 no longer has an HD tuner?
          Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello luvencl,

Thanks for posting in the forums! That is a great question! The built-in tuner was a feature that was only added to the Slingbox PRO-HD. Which is still an up to date model that you could use. The Slingbox 350 and 500 are more of an upgrade to the Slingbox SOLO. Quite a few customers are wondering why it does not have the built-in tuner. I would think that it is a possibility in a future Slingbox that is created. However, as of right now, the only way to use a coaxial connection, is to use the Slingbox PRO-HD.

Have a great day!

Kind regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

daddyb

It's unfortunate that they chose to eliminate the tuner. I just purchased a used Slingbox Tuner to accomodate the needs of my son while he's away at school. I have the Slingbox Pro HD and it's great that it also has a built in tuner. Without the separate tuner, the device would be useless for me while I'm travelling. How can one utilize it without inconveniencing the family at home? All you can do is scrounge up a used one while they exist. Eliminating the tuner was a big mistake on Sling's part. Of course, that's just this disgruntled consumer's opinion.

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello daddyb,

Thanks for posting in this thread! I do apologize if that has been an inconvenience to you. If you have a Slingbox PRO-HD, there is a way to avoid the Slingbox controlling your set-top box.

First, you will need to run a splitter from the coaxial cable that connects to the IN on your cable box. Then, you will need to connect a coaxial cable from the splitter, to the IN on your cable box. After this, you will need to run an additional cable from the other input on the splitter to the IN on your Slingbox. This will give the Slingbox and your cable box their own signal.

You will also want to go to setup.slingbox.com and configure the Slingbox under the coaxial input. After that, you should be able to watch without interupting what someone is watching at home!

Here is an article that explains this:

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team