6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2013 8:32 AM by Tyler.Sling RSS

Screen goes black after about 2 min

RyanJZ01

When I attempt to watch TV through my slingbox pro hd the screen goes black after about two minutes.  It usually takes about a minute or a minute and a half to switch from standard definition to HD.  Once it does that it plays for about 30 seconds then goes black.  There is no audio when the screen goes black either

I have had my slingbox pro hd for a couple of years and have not had this issue in the past.  I am using all the same equipment I have been using for years and have not changed internet providers.  I normally would stream in full HD without interruption for hours at a time.

I have tried in internet explorer, firefox and Chrome.

Can anyone help?

• Re: Screen goes black after about 2 min
          Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello RyanJZ01,

Thank you for posting in answers.slingbox.com! I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble streaming in HD. Being that you have tried other browsers and still are experiencing the same issue, it is most likely an issue with the network speed. It could be at the location of the Slingbox, or the location you are connecting from. If you go to speedtest.net on your PC, it will tell you the upload and download speed on the network you are connected to.

Below are the PRO-HD tech specs that tell you what you would need for network speed in order to stream the without any issues:

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

RyanJZ01

Thank you for the suggestion but I do not believe that to be the issue.  My current download speed is 15 times greater than the required amount.  The upload speed is also much greater than needed.  Also, I have had this same internet for almost two years and nothing has changed in the location of the slingbox itself in that time either.  I am currently having the same issue at a friends house when I try to log on with a different internet provider as well.  I did not test their speed the last time I was there but I know thier network can support it because I have streamed in full HD for hours at a time there as well.

I have had someone reset the sling box a couple of times too.

Do you think there is anything else I can try?

Thank you for your help.

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hi RyanJZ01,

Thanks for responding! If you are getting the same error at more than one location, usually that means the issue is coming from the location of the Slingbox. Could you tell me how the Slingbox is connected to your router? Ex: Hardwired via Ethernet, Sling Links, wireless bridge, etc. Also , I understand you have reset the Slingbox. Have you reset it to factory settings. I would recommend doing so and then going through the online setup at setup.slingbox.com. You may also want to ensure your Slingbox has the latest firmware version. You can see the firmware version of your Slingbox  by going to support.slingbox.com. If you are logged in, all of the information of your Slingbox will show, including the Slingbox software version. I will give you links to articles that explain how to reset the Slingbox to factory settings and what the latest firmware version of all models are.

Here are the links:

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

The Sling Moderation Team