15 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2013 9:12 AM by skees Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Slingbox won't connect after firmware update

cmv80

I have done a hard reset and  afterward I get two solid lights (power and network).  I go to watch the  slingbox and it works for a few seconds, then redirects me to   newwatch.slingbox.com to go thru the set up process.  I have also tried setup.slingbox.com

Every time the  same thing happens, it goes thru several phases, erasing data,  installing the update, then at 99% it says it's restarting.  After the  restart process, it says there is an error, and asks if I want to  retry.  The problem is something in this process causes the network  connection to fail.  The network light (which was solid) then begins to  flash after the error occurs.  The only way to reinitiate the set up  process is to unplug the slingbox, reboot the router, and plug the  slingbox back in.  I've done this 3-4 times and each time the same thing  happens, after 99%, it says it's restarting the slingbox, after a  minute or so I get the error message.

I have also cleared my cookies, my history, and tried using both Firefox 20.0.1 and IE 10.

It seems to me that something during the update process is causing the slingbox to lose the network connection.

By the way, the standard answers, like hold down reset, unplug it and plug it back in, etc are useless.  I have scoured these boards, I've tried them and wasted countless hours.  It's the same dead end cycle each time.

• Re: Slingbox won't connect after firmware update
          Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello cmv80,

Thank you for posting in the forums! I've noticed you have posted a couple of times regarding this issue. I sincerely apologize you have not yet found a resolution. However, do you have the Slingbox Hardwired directly to your router via Ethernet cable? We've noticed that in most cases when the Slingbox will not update, the Slingbox is not connected via Ethernet. I understand you have reset the Slingbox. Have you reset it to factory settings? This is done by holding down the reset button on the Slingbox for 30 seconds. I have attached an article that tells you what the latest firmware version of your Slingbox should be. If you go to support.slingbox.com while you are logged in to your account, it will tell you a lot of information about your Slingbox; including the Slingbox software version. You can use this to compare to verify if it does have the latest firmware version. If this does not help, feel free to reply.

Here are the a couple links that may assist you:

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

cmv80

To answer your question, yes, the slingbox is hard wired to the router.

I have not held the reset button down for 30 seconds, I have done it for 10-12 seconds until the lights begin to flash.

According to the support page I have:  Slingbox Software Version: 1.2.18-  I suspect I had a more up to date version before I reset the router.  Also, it says

Last Update Received: 05-11-2013, which doesn't really make sense.

Here are the 2 questions no one seems to want to answer, in order of importance.

1) If my slingbox WORKS without the software/firmware update, why does it fail to work AFTER the update attempt?

2) Why is it that every time I attempt to update the software I lose my network connection and have to go thru the reset process?

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello cmv80,

Thanks again for replying. The latest firmware version for the Slingbox SOLO is 2.1.270. It seems the Slingbox SOLO has not been updated for a while Whenever the Slingbox attempts to update the firmware and it fails, the Slingbox cannot be connected to. The reason is because you would have a lot of streaming issues if the Slingbox is not up to date. With any devices that have a firmware version that is not up to date, you would not be able to use until it is. I would recommend trying a hard reset and holding down the reset button on the Slingbox for thirty seconds. If that does not work, I would try updating the Slingbox from different computer. The article I provided you with in my last response lists the only reasons the Slingbox firmware will not update. If you have went through all troubleshooting steps in that article and are still experiencing the same issue; there is most likely a defect somewhere in the Slingbox.

Hope this helped!

Cheers,

The Sling Moderation Team

alstein

Hi

I posted a few days ago about not being able to do a hard reset on my Slingbox Solo subsequent to an update that was done by slingbox on May 7 2013. Prior to the May 7 updateI had no problem accessing my TV programming via slingbox on my home network or remotely when I was away on vacation. The slingbox was working perfectly until sometime on May 7, when I noticed there was no access when I tried to watch through my Ipad app. I returned from vacation  on May 9, and went through all of the troubleshooting steps with no success. I then tried the hard reset route, and noticed that the slingbox was unable to reset. The various lights never blinked when I tried.

When I checked information on my Slingbox on the web page this is what I see:

Slingbox Software Version: 2.1.270

Last Update Received: 05-07-2013

When I connected with online chat they said that since my Slingbox was out of warranty that they wanted 29.95 to troubleshoot. I said that this was unfair since I believe that the update that Slingbox sent out on May 7, broke my Slingbox. They said that they understood my frustration, but coudn"t help.

I understand that when a product breaks after the warranty period, there will be  a repair charge. But if the damage was created by an update sent by the manufacturer, then I belive there is a moral and legal obligation to repair or replace the damaged product.

ajsiegel

I am having the exact same problem.  My Slingbox worked fine until May 7th when it stopped functioning.  The power light flashes continuously. I've unplugged it for as long as 24 hours, plugged it back in with the same result - no connection.  It's hardwired to my router, and I've even switched network cables and ports to see if that helped.  It didn't.  Pressing the reset button (for as long as a minute) accomplishes nothing. It says it has the latest firmware (2.1.270).  I rebooted the router -- no effect.  Finally, I deleted the Slingbox to force it to reload -- and now it's gone.  It's not showing up on my network and the power light is still blinking continuously.  Now what?

A.J. Siegel

thebig1

I have the same issue, al ways fine then the update and the Solo is dead, its so obvious the firmware has done it.!!!!!!!

PABOBTV

After update. I am getting the following error. This channel should be available shortly. Trouble is the tv and cable box are working fine. Its the sling box that is messed up.

**Edited to observe House Rules**

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that for some of you this issue is ongoing. I am forwarding this thread to our engineers, but I did want to add a couple items of information. The "Last updated" date on the front page of the support site ("My Slingbox Info") does not indicate a firmware update date, but rather the date of the last successful Slingbox connection. No new firmware updates have been issued for PRO-HD or SOLO since around October of 2012, but I'll see if somehow some of you recieved delayed updates. I'll update this thread as soon as I have any additional information.

-Matt

skees

I cannot download the firmware update for internet explorer as during the process it instructs to turn off internet explorer even after I have done so and verified same via task master and does not recognize that fact and recycles endlessly..This the second computer that I have attempted process on.When I try to rerun the installation again the guide states that an application already is in progress and the installation fails....slingbox model Solo

hipcat

Same issue, however mine goes back several months. I suspect it has something to do with my PC on which I configure the Slingbox has Windows XP as the operating system, and after the last update, that OS is no longer supported. Is that correct? If so, that is very unfair to no longer support an OS that is still very widely used.