27 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2013 12:45 PM by xtracteve Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Solo Not Networking & Won't Hard Reset After Update

terakopian

Hi Folks,

Hoping for some help!

My Solo powers on fine, but will not light up the network light when either cabled straight to my router of through the bridge connections. Everything was working perfectly until an update on 04 24 2013 (which I'm guessing was automatic?). I've tried everything from power cycling my modem, all the bridge adapters and naturally teh Solo itself. The Solo won't even hard reset. I've held the reset button down for 30 seconds and the LEDs don't flash as they are supposed to. have tried this several times.

As far as I know, it has just died - powers up, but nothing!

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated as sadly teh UK support team appear to be non existant. The phone number still has a recorded message from Christmas and cuts off and the online chat has kept me waiting for around 30 minutes with a promise of a support representative being with me shortly!

Thanks,

Edmond

• Re: Solo Not Networking & Won't Hard Reset After Update
          craig.sling Novice

Hello terakopian,

Thank you for contacting us here on the answer forum. I see you are having a problem with the Slingbox Solo and would like you to try a few things for me. I will post links below that will walk you through the steps I would like yo to preformed.

I hope this helps,

Thank you

Sling Moderation Team

terakopian

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Apart from getting a new powersupply (it appears to be working fine) I have tried all of what is suggested in the links you provided. As I'm mentioned clearly, the unit won't even let me reset.

Any other suggestions?

Edmond

alstein

Hi

Sorry for budding in, but I don't know how to start a new topic.

I am having the exact same problem with my Singbox Solo. Prior to an update on May 7, 2013, my Slingbox was working perfectly. After the update, it stopped working. I was on vacation until May 9. When I arrived home I went through various steps to get my Slingbox to work, with the final step being to reset my Slingbox to factory settings.

However, the slingbox will not reset. I press the button and nothing happens. The power light stays brightly lit, and the network light also stays lit, but not as bright.

I contacted online chat, and they said that since my slingbox was out of warranty that they wanted 29.95 to help. I said that it was the update that triggerred the problem, but they said there was nothing they could do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

cmv80

You aren't alone.  I have the same issue.  On top of that, if I click "Watch" I can occasionally watch my slingbox for a few seconds before I am redirected to install the update.

Not to go all conspiracy theory, but if all out slingboxes were working before the update, and now after the update they stopped working, doesn't this seem like a cash grab by the company?  Release a flawed update, make people call in and pony up the $30 bucks.

Funny, none of the updates I received while I was in the 1 year warranty caused a problem.

cjaller

Chat also said to pay to troubleshoot.  They refuse to admit it was from the update.  They told me it was like owning a car where you have to pay to get your car checked out for a problem after the warranty is up.  I responded saying that cars also have recalls when it is manufacturers fault.  I have tried everything a few times that troubleshoot says to do.  I hate to pay $30 for them to tell me they cannot help.  It worked fine for years before the last update. Seems curious since they have a promotion for sling owners to update. Anyone know how often updates come out?  I guess I just wait for next update and see if anything changes. 

cjaller

I am having same issue.  I have a solo, and after the update it is not working!!  Maybe Sling is trying to force everyone to upgrade, so they found a way to cut us off!!

cmv80

If anyone else is having the same issue, PLEASE respond to this thread.  The more people who respond the more we can force them to admit there is an issue with the update!!

thebig1

Hi,

Mine is doing exactly the same!!!!!

terakopian

I did finally get through to a support tech on the online chat and they arranged for a new AC Adapter to be sent out. Although I wasn't holding out hope of it working, it did! When I chnaged them over, the network light came on, but the unit could not be seen, so I did a hard reset and set it up again, and touch woord, so far, so good. It's working just fine :-)

Edmond

alstein

Did you have to pay for the adapter?

terakopian

No, it was sent free of charge. Having said that, my unit's relatively new - around 1.5 years old.

alstein

Wow. If a new adapter fixes the problem, I dont understand why they wouldnt offer a replacement to anyone having this problem.

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello alstein,

Thanks for posting in the forums! I'm sorry to hear you are unable to update your Slingbox SOLO. However, there has not been a firmware update for the Slingbox SOLO since October. Your Slingbox may have not update to that firmware version when it was released.

Hard resetting the Slingbox to factory settings is the first step we would take in trying to update the Slingbox. If you look at some of the posts above, there was an article provided that explains how to do so.

The article below explains the warranty policy and why we cannot waive any fee for a replacement part:

Have a great day!

alstein

HI

Thanks for your reply.

I never said that my Slingbox Solo wouldn't update. I said that my Slingbox wouldn't do a hard reset after an update on May 7, 2013.

I never said that it was a firmware update. But I know for sure that on May 7th some sort of update was done. It is right there on my Slingbox Information. Here is what it says: " Last Update Received: 05-07-2013. And when I highlight the term, an explanation pops up saying "the date of the device's most recent software or configuration change".

With respect, your comments on hard resetting  to factory settings being the first step you would take in trying to update the slingbox, indicate that you really haven't read my initial posting which clearly states THAT I AM UNABLE TO DO A HARD RESET. I know how to do a hard reset, but the Slingbox simply won't. And I, like many other users are experiencing this identical situation which occurred on May 7, after some sort of update bricked my Slingbox, along with many others.

I know your warranty policy. But I don't think it applies if you, the manufacturer for created the problem.

In any case,  I guess this discussion is now less relevent for me since I have decided that I would rather purchase another product from one of your competitors than have to deal with a company that treats its users as shabbily as yours has done.

cmv80

I agree Alstein.  My unit won't do the Hard Reset prescribed either.  I have held the reset button for well over 1 minute, and nothing different happens than when you hold it for 5-10 seconds.

Here is the issue no one will acknowledge or address-  MY SLINGBOX WORKS for a few seconds when you first go to the watch page.  Then, after the update process begins, my slingbox STOPS working.  Can anyone from Sling Media explain that?  If my slingbox WORKS before your update, and stops working after your update, how can you possibly conclude that the update isn't the problem?

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello alstein,

Thank you for your response. I understand the Slingbox is not hard resetting to factory settings. However, the only update we would send to your Slingbox, is a firmware update. When your account says "last update received"; that could even be the last time you connected to the Slingbox. Pretty much the last time our servers got an update that the Slingbox is connected. There was not an update that caused the Slingbox to not hard reset.

I provided the warranty information because if the Slingbox is not resetting to factory settings, it is in need of replacement. If you are not within the complimentary support period, I would recommend trying a replacement power adapter. In most cases, that resolves the issue.

Have a great day!

Just trying to help,

The Sling Moderation Team

alstein

Hi

Sorry, but your own web page defines "last update received"  as "the date of the devioce's most recent software or configuration change"., and NOT the last time I connected to Slingbox. There are many postings very similar to mine, where users are compaining that their Slingboxes stopped working on May 7. Where are all the postings for failures on other days?

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello alstein,

Thanks for the quick response! There are other people that have experienced the same issue. As it is not only this thread that has been posted regarding this issue. We have seen that the problem is often corrected by a power supply replacement.

As we cannot send a replacement power supply free of charge if you are not within the complimentary support period, we recommend trying a replacement power supply from Slingbox.com. The only update that could be sent to any Slingbox, is a firmware update. Which hasn't happened to any Slingbox SOLO since October.

If it were an issue with any kind of update, there would be a lot more users posting in this thread and other threads describing the same exact issue on this same day. I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you, however, a hardware replacement is the only further troubleshooting step that can be taken.

Have a great day!

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

Lw091053

Same problem. We changed the router when we went from Cablesision to Verizon. I have 2 sling boxes(don't ask why). The Sling Box 500 is fine.My sling box solo has a blinking light, I have tried everything ,  Does the security on my router affect my sling box solo? I am clueless.

xtracteve

Tried using my slingbox today, did not work. Last login was feb 2013. I'm having the exact same issue. Solid network light, solid power light, won't connect to the network. Hard reset does not work. Guess its time to buy a new power supply, or an HD Homerun.