4 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2013 8:03 AM by dshabs RSS

Streaming equivalent to downloading?

dshabs

Some ISP's are limiting the amount of download per month or better yet they are looking at slowing the download speed as the usage goes up.  By watching the streaming video via Slingbox, am I burning into my data limit?

• Re: Streaming equivalent to downloading?
          daugustus5150 Newbie

Hi dshabs,

When you're watching the Slingbox on a mobile device such as an tablet or phone, it will use your data as long as you are using 3g or 4g on the device. If you switch to Wifi on that device it should pull the Internet signal from whatever Internet connection you are connected to, leaving the data on your phone untouched.

Hope this helps,

The Slingbox Moderation Team

dshabs

Thanks for your quick response, but  I was actually wondering about the comparison of quantity of data flow.  If I choose to download a 1gig video file to view as compared to the quantity of data being downloaded while viewing the same program as a streaming video.  Is viewing the stream equivalent to the 1 gig video file?

OvCollyer Apprentice

It depends on the viewing quality - in the web player you can see the bitrate if you hover over the stream quality indicator to the top right of the video.

This is the number of bits per second.

So for example, if you stream at about 3000kbps, which should be enough for the highest 'HD' setting, then you would be downloading 3000 k/bits every second, which is 375 k/Bytes every second (since 1 byte = 8 bits), or 375 x 60 x 60 = 1,350,000 k/Bytes per hour, or about 1.3GB per hour.

If you are using a different streaming quality then adjust the above accordingly.