8 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2013 3:18 PM by SoCalSlinger RSS

Aspect Ratio Question

SoCalSlinger Newbie

I have a Slingbox Solo hooked up to a Time Warner DVR. Previously I used an S-Video cable, but the new Samsung DVR doesn't have and S-Video output. So, I tried using a component video cable to the Solo, and a composite cable from the Solo to my older 4x3 conventional-style TV. Questions...

1.  I got no video on the TV (but got audio). Is that because of the different video input (component) and output (composite)?

2.  When watching the Solo on slingbox.com, the aspect ratio of the picture was off (the picthre was "squished" horizontally). Is that because of the different input and output?

Thanks!

• Re: Aspect Ratio Question
          Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello SoCalSlinger,

Thank you for posting in our online answers forum! I'm sorry to hear you are not getting a video signal when using component cables. If you are getting audio with no video, it may be that you need to change the input. After hooking up component cables, you will need to go to setup.slingbox.com and select configure inputs. You will want to ensure that component is selected. If it is, and you are still not getting any video; feel free to reply!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

SoCalSlinger Newbie

I tried reconfiguring the video settings via slingbox.com online configuration. The problem persisted. When I changed back from the component video cable to a composite cable, the problem went away. I'm trying to figure out why, when using the component cable, there was a problem.

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello SoCalSlinger,

Thank you for your quick response! It sounds like something programmed in your cable box called Selectable Output Control. Basically, whenever there is an HDMI cable connected to your cable box, it disables the component OUT on your cable box because it is also an HD output. Your cable provider does not want the HD contact pirated, pretty much. If you have and HDMI cable connected to your cable box, even if it is going from your cable box to your TV, it will block the Component output. If you were to disconnect the HDMI from your cable box, the video should come through the Component input.

Below is an article explains Selectable Output Control and what do to:

Also, the article is says the Slingbox 500 but it is the same for any Slingbox that has a Component input.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

SoCalSlinger Newbie

I am not using an HDMI cable. Here's my set-up

CABLE BOX/DVR --->Component video cable (and audio) ---> SLINGBOX SOLO --->Composite video cable (and audio) ---> TV (conventional/old style 4:3 aspect ratio).
                          Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello SoCalSlinger,

Thanks again for replying! I apologize that did not resolve this issue. However, if you have component connected from your Cable box to the IN (top row) on the SOLO and have the component input selected in setup.slingbox.com and you are still not getting a video signal; I would recommend running the component cables from your cable box to your TV and switching your TV input over to component and seeing if there is a video on the TV. If there is no video on the TV it is an issue with the ports on the Cable box or the component cables you are using. If there is video, there may be an issue with the component ports on the Slingbox.

Below is a link that may also help you with troubleshooting this issue:

Hope this resolves it!

Kind regards,

SoCalSlinger Newbie

A couple of things...

1.  I went into the cable box settings. There's an HD setting to change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3. Would that have anything to do with the fact that the picture looked "squished?"

2.  Sort of a threshhold question -- Can I use the Solo with Component video in and Composite video out to the TV? (Or does the output have to be the same as the input?)

Thanks!

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello SoCalSlinger,

Thank you for responding. To answer your first question; yes, that is mostly likely why the image looks that way. I would try changing it to 4:3 to see if that resolves the issue. Also, to answer your second question; you will need to have the same cables connected to the video OUT as the cables that are connected to the video IN. In your case, you will need an additional set of component cables connected to the video OUT if you are trying to pass the video through the Slingbox to the TV.

Have a great day!

Cheers,