8 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2013 1:27 PM by Tyler.Sling RSS

Can you use Slingbox with the wireless ATT Uverse box?

superclio

I'm thinking about switching from Directv to AT&T. I travel a lot and my Slingbox is currently hooked up to the TV in the front room. Problem is I then can't watch half the time because whoever is cat sitting is also watching and I don't feel like I can kick them off since they're looking after my cats! I was thinking about hooking it up to the bedroom TV instead. I was hoping that since I can access the same recorded programs with Uverse on both TVs, if I had Slingbox on the bedroom TV I could happily watch away while my cat sitter watches what they want in the front room. But then I found out the second Uverse box is wireless so I can't tell if this would work or not.

Has anyone hooked up their Slingbox to the wireless receiver?

• Re: Can you use Slingbox with the wireless ATT Uverse box?
          Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hi superclio,

Yes, you can definitely use a Slingbox with the ATT U-verse set-top-box. They use IR for remote (I believe you would select either the U-verse Universal remote or VIP 1216) and have standard video outputs.

-Matt

superclio

Hi Matt,

thanks for the response, that's good news! I guess I'm switching to ATT then. I have one other question - if we have the sling box in one room (with the wireless set top box) it won't affect what anyone is watching in the other room, will it? Even though you can access the same recorded programs from either room's box?

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello superclio,

Thank you for replying! That's a great question! If somone in another room is watching TV on a different set-top box than the Slingbox is connected to, it will not interfere with what they are watching. This only occurs if someone is trying to watch a TV that is connected to the same set-top box as the Slingbox. If somone is trying to watch the Slingbox at the same time, you will experience channel wars.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

bigj1813

what if you have a pro hd? I tried hooking it up and it still changed the channel on the set top box

superclio

That's what I have, Pro HD, it's nothing to do with that.

Are you saying that you change the channel on your Slingbox and it changes it on the TV? That's how it works. the TV that your cable box is connected to will always mirror what's on the Slingbox and vice versa. I was concerned since my new cable service has two boxes in different rooms that share recorded programs this would affect the Slingbox and end up having both TVs mirror the Slingbox (my old system was two separate DVRs that weren't linked). This doesn't happen. It only mirrors the TV it's connected to, the TV in the other room can be watched without interfering and I can watch recorded programs without it confusing the system or not working.

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello bigj1813,

Thanks for responding! If you have a Slingbox PRO-HD, there is a way to avoid channel wars. If you run a splitter from the basic cable drop, then run one cable from the splitter to the Slingbox, and the other from the splitter to your cable box. This will give the Slingbox and the cable box each a seperate cable signal.

Upon doing this, you will need to go to setup.slingbox.com and change your input to Coaxial.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

The Sling Moderation Team

superclio

Ha, I had no idea we could use a splitter, all those times we had to watch the same thing while I was miles away in a hotel somewhere! Thing is this won't work now we've changed from Directv to the ATT Uverse box as it only has one coaxial output which is going to the TV. It's an old TV so no HDMI or S Video outlets. So I guess without getting a newer TV we can't use a splitter, or am I missing something?

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello superclio,

Thanks for responding! That is correct. If you have no way to get a video signal from your set-top box to your TV, other than Coaxial, the only solution is to use a different TV. I do apologize if this has been any inconvenience to you.

Feel free to post if you have any other questions or concerns.

Have a great day!

Cheers,

The sling Moderation Team