9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2013 8:43 PM by Biggadee RSS

Slingplayer on Iphone 5 or ipad mini Wifi Quality is horrible

brilami1

I am having really big problems with the quality on my iphone 5 or ipad mini. Since the last update, I can't watch a thing.

SQ is running, but when i switch to auto (player is stuck at 432 kbps and it keeps buffering). when i switch to hq, bps are not shown, at it buffers every

3-5 seconds. absolutely not watchable. strange thing is, on my mac or my pc, everything runns smoothly. even on my wdtv. (all of the are connected through lan cable). another strange thing is, that all my slingboxes, (on iphone or ipad mini) show between 4 or 6 green dots. meaning slingboxes are set up correctly?!?.

and it is def. not a problem with my speed. i have a 150mbti connectiont. router is a time capsule from apple. also at my office. wifi really sucks.

is it my router where i wanna connect wifi through my iphone 5 to the boxes? or could it be the router where the box stands? (but i thought if there are many green dots, the the slingbox setup is ok, and also the router).

it works even better on 3G

any solutions?

thx

• Re: Slingplayer on Iphone 5 or ipad mini Wifi Quality is horrible
          Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello brilami1,

Thank you for posting this to our online answers forum! I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with video quality when connecting on your iPhone 5 and iPad Mini. I believe the Slingbox may not be setup for Internet Viewing. Internet viewing uses different protocols when connecting remotely. The iPad and iPhone both use TCP. A PC sometimes uses different protocols and does not need TCP to stream. The Slingbox 500 sets this up automatically. If a setting on your router called Universal Plug n Play is not enabled, it will not allow TCP streaming.

Here is an article that may assist you with this particular issue:

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

brilami1

hi tyler

thx for your answer.

just to clarify, which router could be the problem?

i.e. my slingbox is at home connected to a router. and now i want to watch with my iphone at the office (wifi).

is the router problem at the office or at home?

thx

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello brilami1,

Thanks for responding! The router that this needs to be done on, is the router at the Slingbox location.

Have a great day,

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

brilami1

hi there.

i tried several things yesterday, and i think there is a bug in the app itself.

first of all, i tried with a android phone through wifi, no probs at all, was constant at 1400-1500 kbps.

then i tried with my iphone with 3G. was running great. tried again with wifi, horrible.

i don't think so, that the slingbox knows if i connect to it through 3G, wifi or cable.

then i connected again with 3G, after few seconds i changed my iphone to wifi (app is still running), and voilà, it

was running without any buffering.

any solutions for that?

brilami1

So, new update came out. Still same problem. When i connect through wifi and i tried 4 or 5 different places. Slingplayer auto or hq mode is stuck at 432 kbps. when i connect through 3g it goes up to > 2000. it used to work a few months ago, but since the last 3 updates or so this app is useless for me.

please take a look at this. it has nothing to do with the dots, cause they stay the same (3g or wifi).

this was my favourite app once, but now it is total ****. ipad same problem, android worked but since the new update, also no go.

i think i am not the only one, having this problem

brilami1

another new update.

still having the same problem. stuck at 432kbps. when using laptop (on same wifi) watch.slingbox.com speed up to 3000.

so the problem is the app. please fix it !!!

brilami1

new app update from sling this night with several bug fixes. well still stuck at 432kbps, still no answer from slingbox.

could anybody please help me? i am not the only one affected, there are another forums on the net with the same problems.

schindt Newbie

Having still the same issues with my iPhone 5. Transfer rates are going down to 432kbps and stuck there with permanent video buffering.

I also installed the iPhone player on my ipad2, there and on my iPhone4 it's working fine without any issues on HQ or Auto mode!

All my devices are with iOS6.1, transfer rates are from 900 to 2000kbps with three yellow dots.

Biggadee

Running sling player on iphone. Trying to watch my sling solo located in the UK from the US from a static location.

Strong Wifi connection and speeds at both locations. UK Down 37 Mbps and Up 3 Mbps, US Down 21 Mbps & Up 4 Mbps.

Can watch with bitrate of approx 1500 kbps on laptop via Firefox browser. Stutter free and can watch full screen. No issues.

However when I use the iPhone, I get video which stutters after the first 30 secs consistently every second or so. I am not using the remote or any functions just watching video. When I immediately select the Options (spanner tool) after starting the app, the bitrate initially starts at about 645 to 635 then drops and remains on 532 Kbps and at all times I only see three yellow lights.

Since in the US stuttering Video has been my experience, although nothing in my setup has changed from when I was in the UK. I have had to switch to the lower quality video to get a stutter free experience. I would not expect to have to do this with the setup I am running.

I have the latest version of the SlingPlayer 3.3.10 application on my iPhone, together with IOS 6.1.3.

I have read your online support pages and followed the advice contained there and this has made no difference. I have restarted my phone and reinstalled the application.

I would really appreciate your advice as to how I can improve the situation please.