6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2013 1:49 PM by tcaradonna RSS

Disconnects When Streaming on Windows Computer

Bambiiee

Any idea why my Slingbox Pro-HD would disconnect after about 20 minutes of use when using a Windows computer to stream?  Once it disconnects...I cannot connect again without having someone at the source site unplug the slingbox and replug it in.  I have no problems streaming on my Mac device-no disconnections at all.  I am always streaming from the same location so don't think it has anything to do with my internet provider.  Any help is appreciated.

• Re: Disconnects When Streaming on Windows Computer
          Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello Bambiiee,

Thank you for using the answers forum! I'm sorry to hear you are not able to connect to your Slingbox and stream without any issues. However, this does sound like something is going on with the network at the Slingbox location. We will need a bit more information to better assist you.

• How is the Slingbox connected to your router? Ex: Ethernet cable, wireless bridge, etc..
          • What is the upload/download speed at the Slingbox location? (speedtest.net)

Feel free to reply!

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

Bambiiee

Thanks for the reply.

I live in the COUNTRY with farmers...so don't laugh but my download/upload speeds are:  1.92Mbps/.31Mbps

Both computers (MAC and Windows) are connected via wireless connection.

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello Bambiiee,

Thank you for replying! It sounds like the issue is with your network speed. Your upload speed is not enough to be able to steam with the Slingbox PRO-HD. Below is a link to the Slingbox PRO-HD Tech Specs so you know exactly what kind of network speed you need. Please, take a look at the Minimum Network Bandwidth section.

Have a great day!

Cheers,

The Sling Moderation Team

tcaradonna Novice

Bambiiee, no offense, but you really need to get a better network connection to make your slingbox worthwhile.  Thats the bottom line.

Bambiiee

Tcaradona - I am VERY aware of my internet speed handicaps, unfortunately when you live in the backwoods of Germany there is a monopoly internet company that gets my money for whatever they can offer.  I have no options and have to live with what I can get for the next few years...something is better than nothing...at least until I am back stateside.

I have to say I don't agree with the Sling Teams evaluation though.  I have had absolute no problem with my Macbook or my PC computer connecting to my Slingbox since arrival - even when I my speeds were < 1000 mbps (they "upgraded" the service about 9 months ago to 2000 mbps).  I only started having problems with my PC computer connecting to my Slingbox about 6 months ago when I was forced to upgrade the Slingbox software.  Since then, my disconnection issues have been ongoing on my PC only.  Macbook still connects and stays connected without an issue.  Wish I could revert the software upgrades on the PC..maybe I wouldn't have my issue.  

tcaradonna Novice

"Stateside" so I take it your slingbox is in the US?  What is your upload speed there?  (Hopefully not .31Mbps). 

When it is streaming, what is the bitrate?

What happens when you "force" the lowest quality setting (rather than Auto)?

On a sidenote, I heard that LTE is coming to much of Germany, including the countryside.  Any chance you can use them with tethering?