19 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2011 7:38 AM by 255909662557039 RSS

What happened to...

millermmail Newbie

What happened to all the information from the old forums?

I'm trying to set up SlingPlayer 2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 and all the links I can find direct to slingcommunity.com which no longer exists.  Has all the knowledge accumulated in the old forums been erased?  Can anybody help me?

• Re: What happened to...
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi millermmail,

Unfortunately, all the threads, articles, etc. from the old place went down with the ship.  You might be able to pick over the bones using the cached page feature on Google or the Wayback Machine if you have a lot of patience and want to go back all the way to 2008.

Obviously Slinging with Ubuntu isn't supported.  I've tried before with WINE and hit a brick wall.  Gave up after that.

You might ask around on a general discussion board, I like placeshiftingenthusiasts.com for stuff like that.

Good luck !

- Az

millermmail Newbie

Thanks, that's rather dissapointing to hear.  I know there were some really good fool-proof noob gudes on there that did get SlingPlayer working on Linux -- I tried it one time a while back, but not all my hardware was linux supported so I moved back to Windows.  I was thinking I'd give it another go since Ubuntu 10.04 now supports 100% of my hardware without any fiddling.

bitpopler Newbie

Hi,

I am running Linux only at home. So I had the same problems. It runs now really good with wine.

Here is how to do it :

install wine (i use 1.1.42 from WineHQ on Debian unstable). Also get the winetricks Script by typing :

wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

in a terminal window

I attached the files you need. You can not use the 2.x Versions of the Slingplayer. I am running 1.4.0.206 Version (not included, too big to upload, use google to find it). Starting the App and toggle Fullscreen / back is a little bit slow on my 1Ghz Celeron Dual Core (Sony Vaio Laptop) but the Rest is fine. I also do Firmware Upgrades with this App under Linux.

- before Installing Slingplayer you need to do some small stuff.

1. Run winetricks by typing

sh winetricks

in a terminal window. Select gdiplus and wmp7 (Windows Media Player 7) for Install. After installing these packages copy all the files included in the .zip file to /home/<your username>/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32. Replace <your Username> with your Username .

Now we need to register these files by typing this into a terminal window :

wine /home/<your Username>/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/regsvr32.exe /home/<your Username>/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/msxml3.dll

wine /home/<your Username>/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/regsvr32.exe /home/<your Username>/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/dxdiagn.dll

wine /home/<your Username>/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/regsvr32.exe /home/<your Username>/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/quartz.dll

wine /home/<your Username>/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/regsvr32.exe /home/<your Username>/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/qcap.dll

You should get "sucessfully registered" Messages.

Now type

winecfg

into a terminal window.

Under Sound just press on apply for the autodetected settings (may take a second to show up).

Under Libraries select

dxdiagn

qcap

quartz

msxml3

Edit these Libraries and set them all to native windows.

Now you are ready to install Sling Player Application. Simply doubleclick the Setup and it should go all the way through. After that you have a working Slingplayer.

Hope this helped.

greets

millermmail Newbie

Great!

One last thing -- where do I get the old 1.x version of SlingPlayer?

It looks like everything is now slanted for online viewing at the SlingMedia site, and I only have a version of the Windows SlingPlayer 2.0  installer (guess it's good I kept a copy).

millermmail Newbie

Someone posted a script on PlaceShiftingEnthusiests...SlingPlayer 1.4 works quite well though it's rather laggy -- it's better than nothing.

His Script: http://pastebin.ca/raw/1887992

If that link goes dead, I pasted a copy of the script in a seperate comment on the main article: http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/watching-your-slingplayer-on-linux/

Here's the directions using that script:

1. Install WINE and open "winecfg" (Wine Config) -- now is a good time to click "Audio" and "Apply" so you don't forget later.

2. Run the script to set everything up -- just follow directions, click "Next" as needed.  If Media Player crashes just un-check "Restart media player" and select "Don't Send" on the error report.

3. Configure SlingPlayer

-------------

Once you have SlingPlayer working, you may notice your computer will go to sleep while watching.  I found a workaround in Gnome (I'm running Ubuntu Netbook Remix but it should work on any system running Gnome).  It sets the appropriate flag to prevent the computer from going idle while SlingPlayer is running, and clears the flag when SlingPlayer is closed.  Now it will behave like Windows and your computer will keep running until it reaches critical battery (which hibernates without asking) or until you close SlingPlayer.  This is how Windows works.

1. Save the script somewhere (I put it in the .wine directory)

2. Edit the script to reflect the current path of your SlingPlayer application launcher, it should be similar to what I have listed

3. Edit the application launcher (or create a new one) that executes the script instead of SlingPlayer directly

Here's the script:

#!/bin/bash
                    gnome-screensaver-command -i -n SlingPlayer -r Streaming&
                    inhibitPid=$!

# -- Edit the BELOW line to match the original application launcher command

env WINEPREFIX="~/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\SlingPlayer.exe"

# -- Edit the ABOVE line to match the original application launcher command
                    kill $inhibitPid

#End

-----------------

Another tip -- I found that the channels don't always change properly as if the first key press is lost or there is severe lag between the 1st/2nd key presses.  A workaround I discovered is to decide the channel and then as fast as you can type Space or some other control key to kick-start control mode.  So to tune channel 120 I type "Space120Space" and it goes into control mode, shows the current channel, types the numbers, and the last space clicks OK to accept the new channel.

Hope this helps everyone else!

deh021

Thanks so much for this post bitpopler.  Thought I might have to run a dual-boot with Windows to get the SlingPlayer running, but now I don't have to!  Thanks again.

255909662557039 Newbie

Ok. So an update here for Linux desktops. I have a solution! I stumbled upon this completely by accident and haven't tested it yet because some compiling and patching is involved. If you would like to know the solution, please PM me or message me as I do not think this should be public just yet. For one reason, it's quite beta. Secondly, it's not officially supported by SlingMedia, who seem to not care if a Linux version is ever created.