6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2013 1:22 PM by Sunshine_D RSS

Zoom Bug on Ipad Player

Sunshine_D Newbie

My cable system has a lot of 4:3 letterboxed content.  On the latest iPad player when you press the zoom button, the picture stretches horizontally but not vertically.  This bug was present in the last version too.  Is this bug being worked on?  Two versions in a row have the bug.  I'd rather not watch a distorted picture.

• Re: Zoom Bug on Ipad Player
          craig.sling Novice

Hello sunshine_d,

Thank you for pointing this out. I do have a few things I would like you to look over to see if we can get this solved for you. I will post a link to these articles below.

I hope this helps,

Thank you,

Sling Moderation Team

Sunshine_D Newbie

I don't think you quite understand the problem.  Zoom works correctly on the plugin player under Firefox and IE and works properly in the standalone player.  The bug I'm referring to popped up only in the last two versions of the iPad player.  Before that, the iPad player did not have the bug.  The articles are familiar territory. I'm very familiar with concerning aspect ratios and screen sizes.  The iPad player zoom function stretches the image horizontally (makes the image wider) but does not correspondingly stretch the image vertically.  So you have a thin and wide image that is distorted.

Step by step through the bug:

Start watching slingbox.  Notice that you are watching a 4:3 ratio image with letterboxed content (black bars top and bottom), i.e.,  16x9 program within a 4:3 image size.  Example, Fox News.  Press aspect button on iPad player.  Press the Zoom Button.  Resulting image stretches wider, but not taller.  The right and left sides of the program are flush with the left and right side of the iPad screen as they should be.  The black bars on the top and bottom are too big - large disproportunate gap between the top and bottom of the program image and the top and bottom of the iPad screen.  The image is squeezed thin, thus distorted.  Zoom worked correctly on previous versions of iPad player.  Last two versions including the current one have the bug.

There is no combination of buttons that result in the proper image.  Pressing auto-detect or letterbox changes nothing.  Pressing letterbox then zoom results in identical distorted image.  Pressing Standard then Zoom distorts the picture vertically but not horizontally. Pressing Zoom from Standard enlarges the vertically distorted picture.  It's got to be pretty obvious to anyone who uses the program.  I can't explain it in any further detail and if you don't understand what I'm describing, I just give up.

hburks

Just to note I'm seeing exactly the same problem - this seems to be a pretty fundamental bug - related to retina display?

I also understand screen ratios etc - on zoom mode the ratio is distorted - plain and simple. If I zoom 16:9 content on my ipad it should expand to full height and crop sides without stretch distortion....

Sunshine_D Newbie

The new iPad player update pushed a few days ago did not fix the bug mentioned in the original post.  Problem persists.

Sunshine_D Newbie

The latest version, the one that fixed things for the Ipad 1 still has not fixed or changed the Zoom bug I've been complaining about for some time now.  The latest web player likewise is screwed up big time when you try and zoom.  The function had worked perfectly for years.  What is the deal preventing the fix?  It's so obvious they can't be unaware of the problem.