4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2013 4:46 PM by Tyler.Sling RSS

slingbox classic - how do I find out the IP address?

Dave8819

just connected to my Sky router (i'm in the UK). I am trying to set up my firewall to allow access to the slingbox, but I need the IP address... how do I find this?

I have looked on the data label on the slingbox, but it only has a MAC address

• Re: slingbox classic - how do I find out the IP address?
          Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello Dave8819,

Thank you for posting your question in our answers forum. That's a great question. I ave provided you a link to an article that tells you how to do so. If this does not work for you, the IP address is assigned by your router. If you contact your router manufacturer and give them the MAC address on the bottom of the Slingbox, they will be able to tell you what IP address your router is giving the Slingbox. Feel free to reply to the post if you have any other questions.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

Dave8819

Hi, Thanks for your prompt response.

I had already found this on the forum. Unfortunitely It doesn't work, because I get the message ' slingbox not found'

It I am then asked to register my slingbox... asking for the slingbox ID and password.... I don't know what these are, or where to find them.

The problem I have is that the LH green light on the slingbox is flashing... aparrantly this indicates that it is not being identified by the router?

I am assuming that it is being blocked by the router via the firewall? ... but to allow it access i need the IP address... hence the question.

I am going around in circles ... do you have any other suggestions that I could try?

Unfortunitely my ISP (Sky in the UK) refuse to provide any support with their equipment in relation to port forwarding, nor any issues with connecting external devices .... zero points for customer services! ... so I am stuck with trying to sort out the problem myself.

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello Dave8819,

Thank you for replying! I am sorry to hear that. The network light flashing does mean that it has not gotten an IP address from your wireless router. Have you changed the router/modem that is connected to the Slingbox at all? If you do this, the Slingbox will not automatically configure to the new router/modem. You will need to reset the Slingbox to factory settings, first. Also, is the Slingbox connected via Ethernet cable, to your wireless router? Here are some articles that may assist you with troubleshooting this issue. Feel free to reply.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

Dave8819

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have pressed the reset as described, but still no joy.

The slingbox is connected to the router using slinglink turbo units.

Upon pressing the reset butten I observe the following...

the red 'n'  and the LH green light flash slowly, the 3 lights on the slinglinks are solid.

after approx 30 seconds the  red 'n' & the LH light on the slingbox change to flashing at a higher rate for 5 times, then off for 3 seconds, then flashes 5 times ....   The RH side light on the slinglink flashes once every few seconds.

Any more ideas?