3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2013 8:16 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

So, is Sling Catcher still supported and....

franc11s

Here's my setup. I have 2 Sling Players, one is pro-hd and the other is basic pro.

I have 3 sling catchers. Over time, all 3 power supplies went on them and I just got 3 more but now I notice the following;

1. Works perfectly.

2. This one gives me no lights other than a very dim network light and doesn't show anything on the TV

3. The last one gives me a bright power light but comes back and says no network.

All 3 are in the same location allowing for easy testing (same network, power adapter, cables etc.,). I just swapped them out with the same cables for the test.

So, are 2 of them "dead" in the water?

I was using component so I will try a HDTV cable next.

Thoughts, things to try?

What's the sling catcher being replaced with? It's so convenient with the simple remote control.

Cheers,

• Re: So, is Sling Catcher still supported and....
          alanrichey42 Master

Assuming you have tried running 2 & 3 off the power supply that works with 1 and still see the problem I would guess they are broken.   Although it still might be the that the new Power supplies are marginal and that 1 is a bit more forgiving.  Are they proper Sling-supplied Power supplies ?

franc11s

What do you mean, the new power supplies might be marginal? No, they are not proper Sling ones. I thought, given all 3 gave out over 2 years (when I have 30 other "adapters" for other devices that have never given out), I thought buying sling ones was silly! Was I wrong?

So, what's the replacement for "catchers" since they've been dropped?

alanrichey42 Master
                  What do you mean, the new power supplies might be marginal? No, they are not proper Sling ones. I thought, given all 3 gave out over 2 years (when I have 30 other "adapters" for other devices that have never given out), I thought buying sling ones was silly! Was I wrong?

It's just that I have seen so many reports of problems with Power Supplies it is obvious that Sling products are VERY particular about the power supply.  Maybe they are just hard on them, or maybe they REALLY need the full voltage and current at all times and some third-party adaptors might start dropping the voltage if you pull a lot of current.

So, what's the replacement for "catchers" since they've been dropped?

There isn't one.   I think Sling have just decided not to get involved with that type of box and go down the route of providing software plug-ins for other people's connected devices.   Although I am still waiting for one for my Roku