8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2013 3:52 AM by jdkatz RSS

Slingbox 350 Proxy server

Jasonv8z

Has anyone gotten the proxy server feature to work with a sling 350/500?  I am using trustedproxies and I can verify the login/server information is correct by connecting with my browser and checking the ip address.  When I connect using my sling 350, I get a connection error message.  I have tried both "custom proxy settings" and "browser proxy settings".  The "browser proxy" appears to default to my regular network settings, while "custom proxy" will either quickly timeout with trustedproxies port, or very slowly timeout if I use my normal slingbox port (5204 in my case).

• Re: Slingbox 350 Proxy server
          Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello Jasonv8z,

Thank you for using our online answers forums! I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with using a proxy server. I would first, try setting up the server again. If you have any issues with doing so, below is an article that gives you step by step instructions. Feel free to reply if you have any further questions.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

Jasonv8z

I've only tried proxy on the online viewer, and it doesn't work through any of my web browsers (firefox, chrome, ie).  I haven't tried slingplayer, but I will give that a try.

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello Jasonv8z,

Thank you for replying! Feel free to reply to the post again if the issue persists. If it does not work, try on another computer if possible. This sometimes can be a result of issues with the computer you are using to setup the proxy server.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

Jasonv8z

I installed the standalone slingplayer, but got the message"device is not supported".  I believe the slingplayer will not work on the 350 or 500.  I have tried 2 computers and both show the same problem.  Because I can connect to the proxy server via web browser, I don't think it is an issue with my computer.

Jasonv8z

I was able to force the slingbox to use a proxy server with a 3rd party proxifier.  My speeds were definitely improved, but I do not like having to run an additional program every time I watch tv.  I hope slingbox fixes the proxy server feature on their 350/500.

peterflatley

Hi, I have a 350 and just setting it up to send UK sky tv to the Middle East, I have seen on YouTube the proxy server video and how it speeds up the streaming bite rate, please can you give me a step by step guide of setting the proxy up with the 350 I'm using a Mac Mini, and also is it worth doing?

Thanks

Jasonv8z

You can try entering your proxy information under settings>advanced settings.  It didn't work for me on any of my web browers, but maybe it will work for you.   I called tech support several times, but they were not very helpful.  If it doesn't work, please complain to slingbox so they may fix it.

I'm using a program called Proxifier on my receiving computer which forces the slingbox to use my proxy server.  There are may proxifier type programs and I'm sure there is a mac equivalent out there.  I am getting anywhere from 2-5x speed improvement over my direct connection from Boston to San Francisco.  It was worth it for me, as there is no other way to get local programming.  Before using a proxy server my slingbox was almost unwatchable (<200kbps) during peak hours.  Now I generally get around 1mpbs around 8pm, and up to 5mbps by 11pm.  Some proxies will let you try their service for a few days for free.  I recommend trying it out for yourself.