10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2010 3:08 AM by giodibe RSS

Trouble viewing Slingbox Solo on Mac

Froggie

Hello,

I have a PC and a Mac at home.  We have no problems viewing our Slingbox Solo remotely on our PC, but on our Mac it has recently stopped working.  It was working fine until about a week ago and all of a sudden our Mac says it cannot detect our Slingbox (either via the web or using SlingPlayer).  Do you have any suggestions? Tips?

Many thanks.

• Re: Trouble viewing Slingbox Solo on Mac
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Froggie,

That's a bit odd.  Does your Mac have problems connecting on your home network, remote viewing, or both ?

I'd start off by checking to make sure you're connected to the correct router at home (if your Mac uses wifi), then try deleting/re-adding your Slingbox in the Directory on the Mac Player.

Until we have a better handle on what's going on, I wouldn't advise making any changes in the Web Player.  Unlike the full Mac SlingPlayer app, the Web Player's Directory is tied to your Sling account and could affect your Windows computer.  Wouldn't want to break something that's working by accident.

If those suggestions don't help, post back and let us know.  If you notice any other details, clues or error messages, that would be helpful too.

Hope this helps,

- Az

Froggie

Hi,

Our slingbox is in San Francisco and our Mac and PC are in Singapore.  So we're always viewing remotely.

The Mac has no problem with the wifi connection.  But I even plugged it into the ethernet and it's still not working ...

Per your suggestion, I tried deleting/re-adding our slingbox to our Mac Player and it still doesn't work.  On my Mac, I cannot view remotely either on SlingPlayer or via the internet. On our PC, both work!  Sigh.

Any other suggestions on what we can do?

Thanks!

eferz Expert

From your Macintosh, try going to http://support.slingbox.com.  If your slingbox isn't shown on that page, login using the link in the upper-right hand corner.

You should eventually see your Slingbox and information about its IP address and port number.  In your address bar, paste the Slingbox Public IP Address, follow it by a colon (:), and then Slingbox Port.  (for example, "1.23.45.67:5001")

Let it time out and you'll get one of two responses, and if your PCs Slingplayer are working but your MAC your response is...

"Safari can’t open the page “http://1.23.45.67:5001” because the server   where this page is located isn’t responding."

This usually occurs because of a firewall rule on the router which is redirecting the port or ip address away from your macs.

"Safari can’t open the page “http://1.23.45.67:5001” because the  server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when  the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again"

This means that Safari can connect to your Slingbox.  (It just can't understand the response because the Slingbox isn't a webserver)   But more importantly, that usually means that you have a desktop application like a desktop firewall which is preventing the Slingplayer application or plug-in from connecting to your Slingbox.

Froggie

Hi Efrez,

Thanks for the help.  I followed your directions and received the following error message:

Safari can’t open the page “http://173.164.161.222:443/” because the server where this page is located isn’t responding.

Now the hard part ... what do I need to do?  When you say "This usually occurs because of a firewall rule on the router which is redirecting the port or ip address away from your macs" what exactly does this mean and how do I fix it?  Sorry, I'm not a super tech whiz so am a bit confused.

Also, how is it possible that my PC is able to access the slingbox and we're both accessing from the very same location in Singapore to the very same Slingbox in San Francisco?

Thanks!

eferz Expert
                          how  is it possible that my PC is able to access the slingbox and we're both  accessing from the very same location in Singapore to the very same  Slingbox in San Francisco?

There are many ways actually, but the most probable is port forwarding.  Port forwarding is a way to forward an TCP port from from your external ip address to your internal ip address.  This is necessary when using Network Address Table (NAT) in your network.  All of home gateways implement this in their routers to provide access from one public ip address to many private ip clients.  The addresses typically used for your local network will be in a private private range of address set aside by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).  These address have been set aside to provide a private address space and aren't directly accessible over the internet.  Port forwarding provides a way to host a service within the private address to the public internet.

The typical port forwarding rule might look like "Port: 5001 to IP: 192.168.0.2".  This means, if it receives information on port 5001 from your outside (public) IP address it will forward the information to 192.168.0.2 your internal (private) IP address. Some routers provide even more functionality by allowing you to customize both IP and Port for the External and Internal address.

Safari can’t open the page “http://173.164.161.222:443/” because the server where this page is located isn’t responding.

I find it interesting that your Slingbox is using port 443 for its services, since that port is normally reserved for HTTPS - a secure web page service.  I attempted to test that from here using "telnet 173.164.161.222 443" and I couldn't connect to it either.  However, that could mean that my public address isn't listed as a vaild address to port forward into the private network which your Slingbox resides.  It could also mean that your PCs are using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) software that's not present on your Macs.

Now the hard part ... what do I need to do?  When you say "This usually  occurs because of a firewall rule on the router which is redirecting the  port or ip address away from your macs" what exactly does this mean and  how do I fix it?  Sorry, I'm not a super tech whiz so am a bit  confused.

I'm not exactly sure how to fix it at the moment, there's still a lot of unknown variables.  One thing I would recommend, is to connect to the router of your network in Singapore and the one in San Francisco.  Look for rules or filters that maybe in your router's configurations,  They might be listed as Port Forwarding, Special Applications, or Virtual Servers (unfortunately not all manufacturers call it the same thing).  You only need port forwarding for your Slingbox in San Francisco, since that's where the Slingbox resides.  If you have the same rule in your router in Singapore then it will redirect the port to the local ip address assigned which might by why your Mac isn't able to connect.

giodibe

Hi there. I have the very same problem, and I was hoping anyone had any clue about how to solve this. Everything works great with Windows (installed on my Mac), but it only works when I'm at home on my Mac.

I created another thread too. This is just to say that I also think that the problem is to be found in the port forwarding, but I don't understand what am I doing wrong. I set up my router the way Slingmedia told me to, with the correct ip and port. How could that be wrong

eferz Expert

Well, some routers have an option of forwarding just "TCP" or "UDP" or both "TCP and UDP".  I recommend that you go back to your port forwarding configuration to check that.  The only other possibility is that the you have some sort of desktop firewall which is preventing the Slingplayer client from talking over the network.

giodibe

It works!!! I'm not sure if this will work for everyone, but what I did is I specified the ip and the port of my Slingbox, and configured it so to use the mentioned ip, rather than the Slingbox ID. Apparently, by doing this I bypassed the Mac firewall and I could reach the Slingbox. Hope this helps

giodibe

Well it was very easy. Just go to Slingbox/Get Info, click on Information and scroll down till you see the ip and the port of your Slingbox. Write both numbers down, then click on Connection, check the "Direct Connection (for advanced users)" box and enter the ip and port number.

It's all I did, and it worked. If you still have problems let me know and I'll see if I can help you