11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2013 7:41 AM by mmitrione RSS

Update for Explorer will not complete installation?

55TMM77

After logging into my sling account, I received a message that there was an update for Explorer.  Downloaded the update, but it would not complete the installation.  Over several attempts, the same problem:  it advises to shut down Explorer in order to complete the installation.  Explorer is shut down, but the message continues to display no matter how many times "Ok" is clicked as confirmation that Explorer has been shut down.  Any suggestions on how to fix this?  Thanks.

• Re: Update for Explorer will not complete installation?
          AdamJohnson Newbie

Hello 55TMM77,

Thanks for posting to our Answers Forum. I can understand the issue with installing the plug-in for Internet Explorer. I have a few things for you try. Make sure iexplorer.exe is closed, also make sure you are running a required OS and browser version.

Here are a few links to help:

Hope this helps.

Regards,

The Sling Media Moderation Team

drew25

works fine on firefox and google chrome! SLINBOX please fix this error soon its not on our end!!

It will not allow us to close explorer or acknowledge that explorer is closed during installation!!!

FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT!!!!

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

55TMM77

I have not had the time to find the solution, but I will explore your suggestions.  However, I like the response asking Slingbox to just fix the problem, as that has to be the best answer/solution.  As I could not readily figure it out, I just used Chrome to log on and watch the news.

And I use Windows 7 Professional  and Internet Explorer 10, both updated autmatically.

I will reply more directly to your suggestions when I have more time.

Thanks.

55TMM77

I have a 64-bit OS.  If that means my IE is also a 64 bit (versus the 32-bit your site says is required), does that mean I simply cannot use IE to Watch via Slingbox?

AdamJohnson Newbie

Hello 55TMM77,

Thank you for the response. All you would have to do on a 64 bit OS is use a 32 bit browser which Internet Explorer should have. To make sure you are running the 32 bit version just go to all programs and it should be the Internet Explorer that does not say 64 bit next to it. You can also check out Microsoft's website to check what version you are on. Also I would double check your processes to make sure "iexplorer.exe" is closed out of completely. If it is still running that is why the plug-in won't install completely.

Here is an artible on 32 bit and 64 bit:

Hope that helps,

Regards,

gsaudio

I also have the same problem of not being able to finish the plug -in upgrade(?) due to internet explorer not being closed, when it is. Why is it that when an upgrade has a bug that the onus is shifted to the end user to trawl forums to find a fix? Slingbox was previously working fine with the software currently on my machine (Windows 7, latest IE) I have changed nothing therefore its the plugin. Please fix it.

AdamJohnson Newbie

Hello gsaudio,

I would be glad to answer those questions. It worked before because Internet Explorer was fully close and the plug-in was able to install itself. The problem arises when Internet Explorer isn't fully closed, there is usually background process running that are associated with Internet Explorer. Which cannot be closed by conventional means. In order to finish installing the plug-in you just have to make sure none of the background processes are running. You can do this through the task manager on your computer. The quickest way is CTRL+SHIFT+ESC this instantly pulls up the processes and if you sort them by name by clicking "Image Name" You can scroll down to "iexplorer.exe" Click on it to highlight the process. Then in the bottom right corner click "End Process." Finally go back and make sure all "iexplorer.exe" processes are closed. Then go back to the Slingplayer installation and finish installing it.

Here is a more indepth article (Note it says for XP, but this also applies for Vista, 7, & 8):

Hope this helps.

Regards,

drew25

A full restart fixed this issue on windows 7! Slingmedia was not really helpful in figuring out this issue! I did it myself! iexplorer.exe was running in the background for some reason?? Sling media should require a restart  or give the option to restart when installing the software! Iexplorer.exe seems to run often in the background on windows 7. DO NOT CANCEL THE PROCESS (EXPLORER.EXE) this will shut down your windows desktop and can cause damage to your system!!

Hope this helps!!

Sling media support is getting better but they are still a "cheap company" with a great product!!

LOL I should not have to be doing the tech work for them, they are not paying me as i am a customer!!

I DO NOT APPRECIATE THE UPDATES SLINGBOX MAKE THEM (OPTIONAL) everytime you update you cause problems!! And then you ask for $$$ to get help kinda a trap LOL. But you are a growing company with a great product and your servie people at the 800 # in America are much better than Costa Rica support!

Keep trying slingbox and i will keep buying lol great device!! So far so good!

eldenhale

I am not even able to access the plug-in.  Running Windows 7/64 I get the new terms and conditions, accept them and then get the plug-in page.  But there is nothing there to click on.  I had no problem with Chrome.  How do I access the plug-in to download?

mmitrione

I am having the same problem.  Tried saving the executable, then closed all applications and then tried to run executable.  Got the same results.  Seems like the update program is in an endless loop.