2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2013 1:11 AM by addyrevet RSS

[WDTV Play] Black borders around TV image - No zoom available

addyrevet

Hello,

I've replied to the 'no full screen possible' thread, but I've seen this was 'assumed answered' and probably won't be looked at anymore, even though the problem is NOT solved.

So, what's the problem?

In the 'normal' PC webbrowser slingplayer there is none. I initially get a screen with black borders around it (zoom 'D') but when I change the zoom to 'L' I get a normal, full screen image without black borders around it. Perfect.

However, on the WDTV Play slingplayer, I get the black borders around my TV image, and I am unable to change it, as there is no zoom function available in the WDTV Play slingplayer. Adding the zoom function to the WDTV Play Slingplayer would solve the problem, because then I can just change the image to however I want it, just as it is possible on the webbrowser.

I have tried several slingboxes, all the same result. Some, however, have the option 'aspect ratio', just in case you want to advise me to use it: that doesn't help. Just stretches the image horizontally, not vertically, resulting in a too wide picture. Also, I don't get the option in all slingboxes I've tried.

I've already contacted WD, but after several emails they concluded that WD doesn't actually make the software, so they really can't help me.

I've added some images to clarify the problem

Hopefully you can integrate the zoom function into the next firmware update for the WDTV Play, so I can watch TV without having to switch on my computer and connect it to the TV

• Re: [WDTV Play] Black borders around TV image - No zoom available
          Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello addyrevet,

Thank you for using the forums! I can see why you would be posting about this. I'd first like to know how the Slingbox is connected. The aspect ratio will only appear on the WD TV if you are streaming the Slingbox in HD. As for the zoom option, I would recommend posting your request for a firmware update with th in the Enhancement Request Forums. Below is a link that will get you there.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

• Re: [WDTV Play] Black borders around TV image - No zoom available
              addyrevet

Thank you for the reply.

Ok, so I've actually tried several slingboxes; with different setups. Some are connected directly via COAX, with no set-top box, others are connected via set-top box with component cables. I kind of figured that the aspect ratio option is only there with set-top box connected devices, however this really does not solve the problem. I think it's strange, it seems to be that the software for connected devices, but also the iPad and Android slingplayers just catch the "standard definition" signal, On iPad etc this results in black borders on either the left & right OR top &bottom, which is explained here: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000195.html and makes sense. However, on TV this problem doesn't apply as it's the same aspect ratio and should be 'popped up'/zoomed to full screen, just as the original signal (and just as it does on the Sling webbrowser)

Hope this helps?

Asked for a firmware update, however I'd actually also like to know WHY this doesn't work