4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2013 5:08 PM by rjsexson RSS

Slingbox 500 and Cox Cable

rjsexson

I have Slingbox 500 and Cox Cable.  All of the regular channels work on slignbox but trying to watch MASN and HD sports sports channels 1053 and 1074 and somehow they seem to have it blocked.  Sometimes I can get it for a couple of minutes but then it goes blank and comes up that the channel has gone off the air which I know isn't true as I can tune my TV to it and it is fine.  I like to watch Nationals baseball on iPad or iPhone while spouse watches other stuff and just can't seem to get it to work.  Any suggestions.

• Re: Slingbox 500 and Cox Cable
          AdamJohnson Newbie

Hello rjsexson,

Thank you for reaching out to us using our online Answers Forum. I can understand how the channel being blocked is a problem and I would be happy to assist you. First we should make sure the issue is not caused by HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) or SOC (Selectable Output Control).

Ultimately if your cable box has SOC and HDCP the best solution is to unplug the HDMI cable from the cable box completely.

Here is an article on the issue:

Hope this helps.

Regards,

The Sling Media Moderation Team

rjsexson

I had to unhook the HDMI to even get the box to work at the very beginning so that is not the answer. I'm guessing major league baseball or the MASN sports channel is using some sort of special blocking method.  Just have to figure out how to get around it.

craig.sling Novice

Hello rjsexson,

Thank you for contacting us back so fast. I do have a few questions that I would like to ask. Have you reset the cable box since you unplugged the HDMI cable. The cable box its self may have some sort of setting that is remembering that the HDMI cable was plugged in causing these channels to still be blocked. Resetting the cable box should clear up this issue. Another way to test this is to run the cable right to your TV you should get the same block on the TV showing that it is not something with the Slingbox but actually a setting on the cable.

Hope this helps,

Thank you,

Sling Moderation Team

rjsexson

Thanks for giving me some ideas.  None of these worked but I decided to try it on another cable box in the house and it works perfectely.  The box that works is a new one I just picked up a week ago.  I'm thinking maybe something is wrong with the other one which I've had for a couple of years so I'm going to trade it in for a new one.  It could also be that I knew exactly how to hook up this one and didn't have the HDMI hooked in from the start.