12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2010 2:39 PM by eferz Branched to a new discussion. RSS

iPhone os4

thepowerdog

I know the new Iphone isnt out yet but I read that Apple was saying that the new OS would work on Iphone 3g and 3gs, so my question is does anyone know if the slingplayer app will automatically work with the new os upgrade or if Sling will take a while to get its app up and running with Iphone os4. The reason I ask this is because with the new Iphone (rumored) coming out in the 2nd week of June I really want to get it for the World Cup and obviously would buy the Slinbox app right away so I could watch it at work. LOL. I know this would be rumors but has anyone on these forums heard anything regarding this. BTW I dont own an Iphone yet or the slingbox app but have a slingbox pro up and running. Thanks.

• Re: iPhone os4
          eferz Expert

I don't know if it'll apply this year, but last year Apple sent out notices to registered developers.  They were sent out two months prior to the iPhone OS 3.0's official public release.  It indicated that apps would be removed if they weren't compatible upon it's release. The Slingplayer for iPhone wasn't approved till after 3.0, so I don't know if they'll be proactive about the release of OS 4.0.  But, since they are a registered developer, I'm sure someone behind the scenes has tested its compatibility with the iPhone OS 4.0 SDK.

thepowerdog

Thanks for the info. I guess its just going to have to be a wait and see thing. I know that ESPN Mobile will be playing the games on their channel and that is available for the phone I have But I really would rather have the Sling app so If Im busy I could DVR it and watch a game during my lunch break. And I really want the iphone 4G so Ill have to wait I guess.

EvanChavez

I just upgraded to the iOS4 and tested the SlingPlayer Mobile. It works just as it did with previous version of the iPhone OS. (I'm running it on the 3GS). The multitasking works too, but it basically reconnects the SlingPlayer to the video source similar to when you close the application and relaunch it. Not a problem as long as the $30 app still works. Hope this helps.

eferz Expert

Actually, SPM is not multi-tasking. Its not "fast switch" compliant, nor does it run in the background.

Already discussed in the following topic (https://community.sling.com/message/8023#8023)

thepowerdog

Cool, thanks for the info guys. I got my iPhone pre ordered for Thursday so I will hopefully have everything up and running that day.

eferz Expert

Excellent, I can't wait to hear how horrible Slingplayer Mobile will look on the iPhone 4,

thepowerdog

Yah it doesn't look too good. I don't have the hd version and I guess sling box will only allow you to watch in HD if you have the most expensive version. Which is BS if you ask me, I have it plugged in through component cables. Anyway, even on wi-fi it still artifacts and is a little fuzzy. It does the job though. But only drawback is I didn't have the iPhone before AT&T got rid of unlimited data plans. I'm gonna see how much data it really takes ip watching on 3G.

eferz Expert

It doesn't matter the current version of the Slingplayer Mobile for iPhone has a maximum resolution of 320x240 (QVGA).  That's why everyone is waiting for an enhanced version to use enable higher resolutions.

ipcctv
                                    I have the iPhone 3G. It worked fine UNTIL I ugraded to the latest OS. Since then the player will only work with WI-FI. I believe port 5001 is getting blocked by the carrier as it changed network settings minutes after the reboot following the firmware upgrade. Apple say it's the apps fault and they should have modded the app. O2 don't know how to contact their own networks staff to see if the port is or isn't blocked. Apple will be able to find them. Deadlock but if you want to keep your player working, don't upgrade the firmware.. Slingmedia tech support checked out my system remotely and said the box, router and firewall settings are spot on.  Watch this space.
                                        eferz Expert

I have iPhone 3GS running on iOS4, it works fine.

Once you've setup the Slingbox for viewing locally, its the routers responsibility to allow remote viewing.  I recommend that check your router's firewall rules.  You'll need to make sure that that the corresponding public UDP and TCP ports and being forwarded to your Slingbox's private IP address.  Most of the time this problem is associated by only having the TCP port forwarded.

Sometimes, you have to deal with either the broadband provider or WiFi Hotspot either blocking the ports, throttling the bandwidth, or using them for their own nefarious purposes.  You can try to work around this by changing Slingbox's default service port of 5001 to something more common like port 80 (HTTP) or 443 (HTTPS).  If this is necessary, then you also need to change the port forwarding rules to match the new port number.

IP address and Port Number: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-005866.html
                                        Port Forwarding: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000068.html
                                        Network Setup Assistant: http://support.slingbox.com/get/network-assistant.html
                                        Manual Changes: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000126.html

eferz Expert

ipcctv wrote: (https://community.sling.com/message/13736#13736)

Just swapped 5001 for 443. All working. So, thanks for the tip and shame on 02 UK for this and not having the staff to recognise the problem.

I've been insisting this port was blocked and they kept saying talk to Apple. At one point, they admitted they didn't know how to contact their own network guys and suggested Apple might know. Apple werent any better suggesting I put a complaint against the app or downgrade the firmware.

Once again.. thanks for that..I'd forgotten you could swap ports.

You're welcome.  I'm glad to help.