12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2010 1:11 PM by Testy5 RSS

Sling Box Classic not detected

elessar78

So I have Sling Box Classic and on the unit I get two green lights (power and network). The connection to the sling links (TV side and router side) are good. I know the unit won't work on my mac, but it's still not being detected by my PC.

Is there a way to check that I have a proper network connection?

• Re: Sling Box Classic not detected
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Elessar78,

I know the unit won't work on my mac, but it's still not being detected by my PC.

Why won't it work on your Mac ?  Sling Classics work great with Macs.

Regardless, two green lights but still not being detected is usually cured by performing a hard reset on the Slingbox.  Have you tried that yet ?

Here's a support doc with the relevant information:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000054.html

Is there a way to check that I have a proper network connection?

You could try pinging the Slingbox if you know what IP is has been assigned.  I think the first thing to do though would be to connect the Classic directly to the router via ethernet.  You don't need to have all the sources hooked up to it, just the Slingbox.  Hook it up temporarily that way, do a hard reset and see if you can detect it.

If it works, move it back onto SlingLinks and see how it behaves.

Hope this helps,

- Az

lovely_jones

I am having the same issue. I tried connecting with my mobile phone, desktop, and through sling.com and nothing is working.  I tired resetting the slingbox but it is still not connecting.

Please help!! Thank you

elessar78

thanks for the help, but still not being detected. I connected the Sling Box directly to my router and I got two green lights, so I assume the unit is still working and that it's communicating properly with the router? I performed a hard reset multiple time and tried to see if it could be detected. Still nothing.

So what are my possible trouble spots?

• Sling Links do not work? Unlikely. But is there a way to test? I can hook up my laptop to the other end and see if I can access the Internet, right?

• Firewall? I've checked and they are down.

I think it might be because I haven't configured my set-up correctly. When I try to set it up I don't know the Slingbox ID. Where do I find that? I tried all the numbers printed on the unit (I bought it second hand so no packaging), but no dice. Also tried using a direct connections using my router's IP address and I seem to be getting the port number wrong. Doesn't slingbox default to a 5001 port?

Where can I find either the Slingbox ID or the correct IP address and port number?

elessar78

Just tried Pinging 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.237 (supposed default IP for Slingbox?). The first one received all the packets and the second IP received none. So I assume the second IP is wrong or not working?

elessar78

Furthermore, probably, in a final act of desperation I hooked my slingbox directly to my computer via ethernet cable and still the set up assistant cannot detect it. Anything I missed before I go Office Space printer scene on this thing?

Hi Elissar,

So what are my possible trouble spots?

• Sling Links do not work? Unlikely. But is there a way to test? I can hook up my laptop to the other end and see if I can access the Internet, right?

• Firewall? I've checked and they are down.

You can test SlingLinks exactly as you said.  Use your laptop on one end (make sure your Wireless card isn't active), router on the other.  See if you're still on the network.

The router's firewall shouldn't matter since it's sitting between the public internet and your LAN.  It shouldn't be interfering with any devices behind it.  If you have a software firewall running on your computer though, that could do it.

I don't know the Slingbox ID. Where do I find that?

That gets auto-populated in the Directory listing for your Slingbox.  If it's not showing up in the Player's Directory, there's no good way to find it that I'm aware of.  You shouldn't need that at this stage though.  If your Slingbox is on the LAN, SlingPlayer will find it automatically.  Don't need the SlingID for that.

Doesn't slingbox default to a 5001 port?

Yes, but it can be changed.  A successful hard reset clears out all configuration data and puts it back to 5001.  The port shouldn't matter for local viewing and configuration.

Just tried Pinging 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.237

192.168.0.1 sounds like a router's IP address.  If it is, your pings were returned by the router, not the Slingbox.

192.168.1.237 is on a different subnet than the first IP.  It's not surprising that one returned pings and the other didn't.  You shouldn't have a routable path to both subnets in a normal home configuration.  Since 192.168.0.1 worked, it's a good bet that your router and computer have an IP of 192.168.0.xxx and your Slingbox is floating somewhere in outer space with an address that's not accessible.

I bought it second hand so no packaging

Okay, that makes a lot of sense.  The behavior you've described fits the profile for a Slingbox that has been previously set up and is retaining it's old network settings.  The normal fix for this is a hard reset-- I know you're tried that a number of times now and are probably losing patience with it, but what you've described sounds precisely like a Slingbox in need of a hard reset.

With the benefit of all the good information you've provided, I'd say you're down to these two possibilities:

- The Slingbox is fine, but your attempts to do a hard reset failed.

- Something beyond normal troubleshooting is giving you the Sling equivalent of PC LOAD LETTER.    It might have a hardware failure.  It could be the power supply, or something inside the Slingbox.

At this point, I'd say grab a cold, frosty beverage and try this:

- Make sure any software firewalls on your computer are disabled.

- Connect the Slingbox to your router via ethernet.

- Follow this procedure exactly: With the Slingbox powered on, poke and hold the reset button for about five seconds.  Keep holding it.  The lights will start flashing fast then slowly.  Let go when you get to slow blinking.  About 30 seconds later the Slingbox should be finished starting up.  When you get a solid power and network light, it's done.

- Run the Setup Assistant again.  If this succeeded, your Sling Classic should be detected and early in the process you'll be prompted to choose new hardware passwords.  Finish up configuration as prompted.

If it fails, do the same thing but this time have the Slingbox connected directly to your computer via ethernet.

If that fails and you're determined to try everything, do the same procedure from a different computer, then try a different power supply.  6 volts, 2 amps, tip positive.

If it still doesn't work, grab another cold frosty beverage, ask yourself what PC LOAD LETTER is, and go Medieval on its heiny.  Bring some friends.

Good luck,

- Az

elessar78

[quote]You can test SlingLinks exactly as you said.  Use your laptop on one end  (make sure your Wireless card isn't active), router on the other.  See  if you're still on the network.[/quote]

Just tried it and the SlingLinks are good.

I'm now going to try to find the proper IP addresses. My ISP worked with me on this and they said that they would open up port 5001, they may have had inactive or blocked.

I'll try to do the hard reset you suggested. Thanks for your patience.

I'm now going to try to find the proper IP addresses. My ISP worked with me on this and they said that they would open up port 5001, they may have had inactive or blocked.

That's cool.  You have an outstanding ISP if they're willing to work with you like that !

However unless your ISP has a massive, atypical amount of control over your router and how it handles your LAN, blocked ports and port forwarding should only affect remote viewing from the internet with your Slingbox.

At this point, everything you're trying and need to get working first is all stuff that's definitely inside your LAN.  Unless you have very special circumstances with your home network and internet service, the ISP and what ports they have open has no bearing on what's going on.

Not trying to rain on the parade (it is extremely cool of your ISP to help out with that), but external ports aren't causing the problem.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of your test results. 

- Az

elessar78

Woo hoo! That did it. It's detected. Now hopefully I'm done with trouble shooting, thanks for all the help.

Just in time too. The crew was coming over with baseball bats and 40s at 10 am.

Sweeeeeeet.  Glad to hear you got the Classic to wake up.

Re: Troubleshooting...   If it's detected, you should be able to configure it now and wrap up local viewing.  Note that if you do the config while connected directly to the Slingbox (no router), you're going to wind up with the same problem when you transfer it to the router unless the Slingbox IP is on the same subnet your router is using.  You can get around that by either entering network settings that cooperate with your router or do another hard reset once it's transferred.

Hopefully, none of that even comes up and everything just works.

For remote viewing you just need to enable that on one of the Slingbox setup screens then get your router to forward port 5001 to the IP your Slingbox is parked on.  If you like, give it a static IP on the LAN.  You can do that in the sling setup screens.  You're looking for manual network settings, give it an IP that's on your router's subnet but not in the DHCP reserved block.  My Classic is happier that way.  If you haven't already sorted that out, it'll be pretty straightforward.

Re: Your crew and their bats...  ever gone skeet shooting with failed hard drives ?    It's a hoot.

Happy trails,

- Az

Testy5

Hi

I have the same issue- lights on - but not detwected

I have two other Slingbox classic that are INSTANTLY recognised but the problem box - no way

I have hardware reset it several times, and ONCE saw an unconfigured slingbox, but the setup assistant froze:(

Any ideas?

Thanks, in anticipation

Mark

Testy5

update:

I ran the sling destop software on another computer and it found the classic instantly !

So this means the software doesn't seem to cope with multiple slingboxes ...