2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 12:35 PM by ACC5077263 RSS

Have to reboot either Slingbox or Wireless Router

ACC5077263

My Slingbox 500 works fine - but seems as if each day I need to to have someone at the house either reboot my wireless router to access from my computer.  If they reboot the router (just powering off then on) I will get the connection and everything seems to work fine.  I can log off, log back on.  But it seems like each day when I come home from work, I have to call my family and have them reboot again.  The cable box is on, the slingbox is on, lights are good.  but I have to have the router rebooted.  Something must be wrong . . . any ideas

• Re: Have to reboot either Slingbox or Wireless Router
          scott710 Newbie

I have had this problem with certain devices with some ISPs.  Even two identical tablets.  One will connect the other won't until the router is rebooted.  I have swapped out three routers and the problem persists.  In my case, I believe the problem is with the ISP (which they deny of course).  I don't have the problem with other ISPs.  You might try swapping routers or bringing your SB to a friend that has a different ISP.  One work-around that helps is to put your router on a timer and set the timer to turn off in the wee hours (when ISPs fiddle with their own routers) and then have the timer turn it back on within a few minutes.  In this way, your router's memory is flushed and starts out new and the immediate reboot isn't enough time for the ISPs router table to reset, which would change your IP (which might create problems if you use the same IP for other purposes).  I think your SB is OK.  I think your router is OK, too.  HTH.

• Re: Have to reboot either Slingbox or Wireless Router
              ACC5077263

Scott, Thanks,  I think your work around will be fine. I tested it out.  I tried the connect early this morning, did not work.  had my wife reboot this morning when she got home just got home and connected fine.  So this weekend when I am home I will pick up a digital timer and have it reboot in the early morning, and I should be set then.  Thanks,