57 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2013 5:02 AM by sextonj Branched to a new discussion. RSS

SlingCatcher servers appear to be down

alanrichey42 Master

We are seeing a number of posts from SlingCatcher users who have done a factory reset and cannot restart the device as it cannot access the Sling Media servers.

Having seen what is happening I have a suspicion this is affecting ALL Slingcatchers.  The reason why we are only seeing relatively few posting about it is that under normal circumstances a Slingcatcher  user would not be seeing this.  The ONLY time (apart from actually  going through the Settings menu to look for it) you will see a problem  is when you do a factory reset and the Slingcatcher  will not restart because it cannot access.the Servers at Sling Media  that control the Update process.   So as a couple of users have found,  their SlingCatchers are apparently 'bricked' because of a problem at Sling Media, not because their devices have broken.

And just to confirm for the Moderators, this is NOT an issue with  Slingcatchers connecting to the LAN. If we go to Settings > Network  then all the details are correct, and from the Slingplayer option we can  connect and view remote Slingboxes.   The problem is when you go to  Settings > Sling Account or Settings > Software Update you get the  message 'No Network'.    I assme this means they cannot communicate  with your servers.  It means you cannot switch accounts, or actually  restart the device after a factory reset.

Please look into this and provide a fix.

Thanks

Al

• Re: SlingCatcher servers appear to be down
          alanrichey42 Master

Another symptom appears to be that none of us are getting the Network light on even though we have good connectivity with our routers,

Any more information we can give ?

alanrichey42 Master

Sorry, slight correction to original post.  It appears the Slingcatcher does not get 'bricked' on a factory reset, you can bypass the Update message.

metaman

I am having the same problem and have been in contact with Tech Support a number of times.  I have spent a total of 6 hours on the phone with them, because they have me do all of the normal checking of my network, which I know is fine.  They finally admitted that it is their problem, but can't give me any status of when it will be corrected.  I saw that on your post you said you can bypass the update, how do you do that?

alanrichey42 Master

I am having the same problem and have been in contact with Tech Support a number of times.  I have spent a total of 6 hours on the phone with them, because they have me do all of the normal checking of my network, which I know is fine.  They finally admitted that it is their problem

Sling support always start with the assumption it is your fault and take a LOT of convincing otherwise

I saw that on your post you said you can bypass the update, how do you do that?

It's wasn't me, it was discussed over in this thread:  Re: SlingCatcher cannot update ! Says "No network"

OvCollyer Apprentice

Just wondering - how long do Sling legally have to 'support' the SlingCatcher?

Maybe turning off the firmware server is their way of hammering the final nail into the coffin.

Surely they wouldn't do that - would they?

alanrichey42 Master

You would hope not wouldn't you.   I suppose they could argue that no firmware updates are planned so there is no need to maintain connectivity to the update server, but that doesn't take account of people who have to factory reset their devices and finish up with the original firmware.   Also, there seems to be no way to switch accounts.

Not sure why the moderators haven't issued a statement yet, they seem to be answering lots of other people.

Al

weejas

Same problem here with my Slingcatcher - had it for years and use it all the time. I was beginning to think i was losing my mind trying to get the network light on even though you can see it has been assigned an ip address by my router and can see other slingboxes within my home network.

Thankfully others have the same problem so it must be related to whatever is going on with 'Sling' themselves. Hope they don't pull the plug on the catcher as it provides a much better picture quality than the WD that I have.

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hi,

The SlingCatcher server should be back up and running. I'm not in IT, but my understanding is there was an issue with a migration that caused it to be down temporarily.

If you have a moment, can you verify that everything is working normally?

Thanks,

-Matt

alanrichey42 Master

No change here:   Settings > Sling Account and Settings > Software Update both show "No Network" and no Network Light on the front.  Even after a reset.

metaman

YES and NO...

Ok, It looks like they fixed the server and my slingCatcher is now dowloading the update, Yeah!!!

But now I'm like the rest of you on this Forum.  All I am getting is the Power light without any Network light.

So it seem that Sling had two different problems.

1) Their link to the Download server was broken (this seems to be fixed now)

2) The firmware update seems to have corrupted the box to now I only have the startup screen then blank and the only indicator light is the power light.

I also received a link from Media Support to download the update manually and to put it on a thumb drive. I also tried that to no-avail and have the same problem, only the power light no network light.

For those of you who want to  try it yourself here is the content of the email.  I've also uploaded the .zip file.

Hello Jim,

We are sorry you are having troubles with updating your Slingcatcher. Well we do have some information for you about the issue. Here are the instructions to update the Slingcatcher.

1) Have the customer download this linked file to their computer: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19848567/CatcherManualUpdate.zip

2) Unzip the files and folders and copy them to the root/bottom level of the thumb drive

3) Plug the thumb drive into the SlingCatcher's USB port

4) Reboot/power cycle the SlingCatcher

Hope this helps you and if not, give us a call and we will assist you, Sling Media

SLING YOU NEED TO FIX THE UPDATE IT IS BREAKING SLINGCATCHERS!!!

weejas

No change here either. Still shows 'No Network' although it obviously is connected as I can stream remote Slingboxes that are located abroad

pgvillanueva

Thanks for the files.  Once I´ve done it, it´s working but with some issues (besides not network light).

I have 3 different Slingboxes: 1 Solo, 1 Pro and 1 PRO HD.

It streams only with a SlingboxPro.  I can´t stream with a Slingbox Solo neither Slingbox PRO HD.

All the Slingboxes are working (I can watch them on Slingplayer) but the SlingCatcher only works with the Slingbox Pro that was the first slingbox that I connected to the Slingcatcher.

Does anybody have the same problem??

Many thanks

alanrichey42 Master

This might be connected to the fact that the Slingcatchers can no longer access the Sling servers so since the restart it cannot check your account to determine what other Slingboxes you have available.

I'm afraid we are all stuck until Sling restore the server link.    Why they haven't done it, or given us a progress report is a complete mystery to me.  I am begriming to wonder if the conspiracy theorists are correct and they have done it on purpose and hope that if they continue to ignore us that the complaints will eventually die down and we will give up.   If so they are sadly mistaken

leigh@mustique.vc

I have the same issue with 2 SlingCatchers, no network light (network settings confirm connection) and no network when trying to login.

So either, Sling Media have a major problem that renders SlingCatcher useless, again I reiterate as of today I can no longer log in, so can no longer stream my SlingBox.

Or

Sling Media are as someone suggested earlier, putting the final nail in the coffin for SlingCatchers.

Sling Media care to comment?

Matt.Sling Apprentice

I can assure you all that Sling has many resources working on this. I totally understand your frustration, and we want this fixed just as much. As soon as any information is provided, I will update this thread.

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hello again,

I want to share a temporary work that has proved successful with our local SlingCatchers.

Follow these steps:

1.) Remove all Slingboxes from your local network. Important: Leave Ethernet cable connected to SlingCatcher, but remove any OTHER Slingbox hardware from the local network

2.) Factory reset the SlingCatcher by pressing and holding the reset

button on the back of the unit for 10 seconds.

3.) Allow the unit to reboot and go through the System Recovery.

4.) After the unit reboots, you should see the Login option for a second

or two (it's pretty quick)

5.) If you miss it, just briefly press (and immediately release) the reset

button on the Catcher to restart it - the login option should be present

after reboot.

NOTE: this is just a temporary workaround to get you back into your Sling

Account, and does not "fix" anything. The Catcher will still have no

network LED and the UI will indicate that it has no network connection,

even though it does. You will, however, be able to access the Slingboxes

associated with your Sling Account.

We continue to work on fixing this issue, but I wanted to share with you this information.

Please let me know if this temporary workaround is successful for you.

-Matt

pgvillanueva

Hi Matt,

I got 2 slingcatchers and 3 slingboxes (1 Solo, 1 Pro and 1 PRO HD).

I followed your instructions

1.) Remove all Slingboxes from your local network.

I did it (disconnect the ethernet cable from slingcatchers)

2.) Factory reset the SlingCatcher by pressing and holding the reset

button on the back of the unit for 10 seconds.

Did it

3.) Allow the unit to reboot and go through the System Recovery.

System recovery without ethernet cable/keeping slingcatcher disconnected to the local network (is that right?)

4.) After the unit reboots, you should see the Login option for a second

or two (it's pretty quick)

I didn´t see it so I move to the next step (correct?) I saw "no network" instead of Log In

5.) If you miss it, just briefly press (and immediately release) the reset

button on the Catcher to restart it - the login option should be present

after reboot.

I didn´t see the login option BUT I saw all my slingboxes

Problem: I DON´T HAVE ACCESS TO ALLTHE SLINGBOXES ASSOCIATED WITH MY ACCOUNT

NOTE: ... You will, however, be able to access the Slingboxes

associated with your Sling Account.

The only Slingbox that works is the Slingbox Pro (the first that I connect to my account through slingcatcher). 

The other Slingboxes have a Network Problem to connect (but I know that are working ok because I can watch them on Slingplayer app)

Did I do it right?

Thanks

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hello again, here's a slightly more detailed walk-through of the workaround:

Workaround

Here are some steps that a SlingCatcher user can use to sign into their Sling Accounts and once again use their SlingCatcher to connect to another Slingbox:

1. Disconnect all Slingbox units, as well as any Sling Adapters, from your home network. This is temporary.
                                              You can just unplug the network cable from the back of your Slingbox model(s).
                                            2. Make sure that your SlingCatcher is connected to your TV.
                                            3. Power on your TV.
                                            4. Set your TV input selector to the input that the SlingCatcher is using.
                                            5. On the back of the SlingCatcher, press and hold the Reset button for ten seconds.
                                            6. In a moment, you will see the System Recovery screen.
                                            7. Press OK on the SlingCatcher remote control to get started.
                                            8. When SlingCatcher finishes connecting to your home network, press OK again.
                                              Allow the SlingCatcher to update itself. When it's done, it restarts itself.
                                            9. While the SlingCatcher says SlingCatcher is starting up, you need to be prepared to click OK on the very next screen. That screen contains the Slingbox Directory, plus a Sling Account login screen. But the Sling Account login screen appears only for one second! Try to click OK immediately upon seeing it.
                                            10. If you miss it ... no problem. Briefly press-and-release the Reset button on the back of the SlingCatcher to get another chance. And this time, the Sling Account login screen should stay on the screen.
                                            11. Log in to the Sling Account.
                                            12. Reconnect your Slingbox model(s) to the network.
                                            13. You should be able to connect to your Slingbox, even though the interface says that you have no network connection.

Thanks again for your patience as we work on a fix.

-Matt

peter Moderators

Folks, there's one more bit of detail that you should be aware of that will help you as you follow this procedure.

Basically, just after a hard reset, the SlingCatcher can only output 480p video. So if you've connected your SlingCatcher to your TV using component, you won't see anything after you hard-reset your SlingCatcher (or while the SlingCatcher is resetting itself). Your TV may display "Unable to display the current resolution."

If this happens, all you're missing is a 480p-resolution image  the SlingCatcher displays post-hard reset that asks you to allow it to re-download its software.

So there's a quick-and-dirty solution: just wait maybe 30 seconds after you let go of the SlingCatcher RESET button, then just press OK on the remote control a few times. THEN: wait another 30-60 seconds, and press OK on the remote control again.

By doing that, you're allowing the SlingCatcher to reconnect to your network, and then to re-download its software.

If you see the SlingCatcher flashing alternate lights, then it's doing just that. Just hang tight for a few minutes.

After that, the SlingCatcher reboots itself, and displays high-resolution video that displays on your TV. You can then go ahead with this procedure.

However, if you'd rather see everything, then you can temporarily reconnect your SlingCatcher to your TV using composite connections, if your TV has them. You can keep it this way as you're performing this procedure, and then reconnect your SlingCatcher to your TV using component.

This procedure should let you sign back into your Sling Account, so you can access your Slingbox as you had been.

-Peter

pgvillanueva

I did it BUT I still have the same problem.

I have 3 different Slingboxes: 1 Solo, 1 Pro and 1 PRO HD.

It streams only with a SlingboxPro (I can see all my slingboxes in the Directory).  I can´t stream with a Slingbox Solo neither Slingbox PRO HD because of "network problems".

All the Slingboxes are working (I can watch them on Slingplayer) but the SlingCatcher only works with the Slingbox Pro that was the first slingbox that I connected to the Slingcatcher.

rwny1

Hi pg,

I also had a similar issue of the slingcatcher streaming my solo but not my 2 slingbox pro hds.  What I did was redo the Internet viewing setup for each slingbox using the manual option and then configure my router's  port forwarding for each box.  Afterwards my slingcatcher could view all 3 slingboxes.

sbishenden

I have also got the same problem, no network connection even though this is clearly not the case. Started to happen about 3 days ago and still no resolution. Would be nice to get an explaintion from Slingbox, who apart from some workarounds that hasn't worked for many users, what the issue is and when it will be resolved. Working in I.T. if any of our services had been down for days our clients would be looking at imposing financial penalties. It's unbelievable that this still has not been resolved!

rwny1

I had no network too after I did a factory reset.  I had to take my slingcatcher back to my home and connect it to the network where my slingboxes are connected.  When the boxes show up in the slingcatcher, I clicked on a box to login.  After I manually setup remote Internet settings on all my slingboxes and updated my routers portfowarding settings for each slingbox,  the slingcatcher could view all slingboxes again..

jaswinder05 Newbie

Hi Iam another die hard slingcatcher fan and although the slingcatcher works ,like everyone around the world there is no network.

Just wondering as sling are working on resolving this issue it would be nice if they could also see if there could be a firmware update to allow slingcatchers to connect to slingboxes in UDP mode (I find its a better and more consistent in stream quality than TCP] aswell as trying to up the HD resolution......

I know that this device is discontinued but the slingcatcher in my opinion still remains the best way of watching slingboxes remotely,atatched to a big screen tv.(I also own a boxee and WDlive box]

I would say the people who have this device shows there loyalty to SLING  and how much they rate their products.

It would be a great gesture from sling in rewarding their customers for the patience shown regards the small hiccups that occur

Thanks

jaswinder05 Newbie

Oh yeh just one more thing.......

It would be nice if the slingcatcher could be made compatible to work with the new slingbox 350 and 500, as for me that is a major issue in upgarding from pro Hd

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hello,

I have recieved an update from engineering that they have isolated and fixed the issue. Can the folks impacted please power cycle the SlingCatcher, and update this thread if you are continuing to have the issue?

Thanks,

Matt

leigh@mustique.vc

I am relieved to report my SC is working correctly again!

Thanks

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Thanks so much for the confirmations everyone, my sincerest apologies for the downtime.

-Matt

Jonnyboy

Slingcatcher is working but it seems to cut off after 5-10 minutes

serlen

Thanks for keeping loyal customers satisfied, I am one of them with 3 Slingcatchers, 2 Slingboxes Pro HD, 1 Slingbox Pro, 1 Slingbox Classic and 1 Sling Link Turbo. Please don't pull the plug on the Catcher, is the BEST hardware device connected to a TV for its purpose. Everything working OK now.

polonus

Hi,

My Sling Catcher has been down. I spoke to a technical support. We did everything including resetting for 30 seconds. All for nothing. I am getting each time a message: "Sorry, Sling Catcher cannot connect to the Slingbox due to network error.

Please, note that there is no network error, since I can get streaming on my computer.

I need help. I was advised that I might get resonse via email. In such case, could you please respond to whodis149@hotmail.com, rather than what address on my account.

I was advised to set up my router again. However, I can't get through login and password step. Sling Box router is in Europe. Do I have to know login and password, or there is some way around?