3 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2010 9:36 AM by ArizonaSackbut RSS

Slingbox Classic - Bricked

Shiftlock

I have a Slingbox Classic that I was trying to configure from within SlingPlayer.  It kept disconnecting before I could complete the configuration process, then it would refuse to connect until I reset it by holding down the reset button for 5 seconds.  After going through that a few times, it has now stopped working all together and will no longer reset.  I get a green power light, and that's it.  Holding down the reset button does nothing anymore.

I checked the power adapter with a VOM, and it's showing the proper 6 volts, but I also happened to have a spare Classic power adapter here, so I tried that as well, and I'm getting the same thing.  So it's not the power adapter.  It appears to be bricked at this point.  Is there any sort of a "harder" reset procedure beyong just holding down the reset button?  Any way to kick it into a mode where it will blindly accept a firware flash via tftp or anything like that?  Or is it just a paperweight?  I've got nothing to lose, so I'll try anything at this point before tossing it in the trash, including taking it apart and shorting out connections if anybody has any ideas.  Thanks.

• Re: Slingbox Classic - Bricked
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

HI Shiftlock,

Unfortunately, you probably have a paperweight.  If it is no longer responding to a hard reset, that's bad news.  Sounds like you've run through all the normal troubleshooting steps.

I don't know if using TFTP to force a firmware flash is possible, same thing goes for JTAG (like recovering a bricked router).

As for the other things you mentioned near the end of your post, anything that ventures into opening up a Slingbox is strongly frowned upon here.  You might try asking that question on a general discussion board instead.  I like placeshiftingenthusiasts.com for general talk.

Another option would be to ask Sling to fix it as an out-of-warranty repair/replacement.  You'll have to pay for it of course, but you'll end up with a working unit, it'll be cheaper that buying a used unit and you won't take the risk of getting another brick in the mail.  It's way cheaper than buying a new Slingbox.

For $100, it looks like Sling will fix it or send you a warranted refurb.  Here's a link that covers that stuff:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000027.html

...and here's the relevant bit:

Picture 1.png

(Click to Enlarge)

If you decide to just upgrade and start over, there's a $50 discount off current models if you have an old Slingbox.

http://www.slingbox.com/go/upgrade

Hope this helps,

- Az

Shiftlock

Thanks for the reply.  I might pop over to the forum you mentioned tonight.  I probably wouldn't bother having it replaired/replaced, since it's not that important to me, but if it was, I see there are some used Classics going for around $50 on eBay, so that might be the way I would go.  Oh well, I guess I'll keep it around for a bit in case anyone else has a suggestion here or at the other forum, and then throw it in the parts bin.  Thanks again.

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

I see there are some used Classics going for around $50 on eBay

Wow.  They were notably higher last I checked.  Cool !   I love my Classic.

Yeah, check out the Place Shifting guys when you have a chance.  If they can't figure it out or offer offer any suggestions, I'd say head for the bin.

Good luck !

- Az