80 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2013 4:52 PM by dfgsdfgsdfgsdfg RSS

Still no Slingbox app for Roku?

strife0429

Roku i sup to version 3 of their player and I'm dissappointed to see Slingbox has not yet created a app channel for it. What's the hold up?

• Re: Still no Slingbox app for Roku?
          haffarfamily

Would be great to see a Sling Channel for Roku...why not guys?  Your customers have been asking for years.  Roku says it's a Sling issue and Sling says it's a Roku issue...why not do a joint deal?  You can charge us, your loyal customers, another $20-$50 for the channel just like you charge us for IOS and Android app and you can keep a percentage and Roku can keep a percentage.  Just think of all the additional money you could make let alone all the loyal Sling fans you'll make happy and all the wonderful PR this will create for both companies.

coltvista

I agree!  Would be a win-win.  Roku just sold its 5 millionth Roku, so it could be a big money-maker for Sling if they sold the app.

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/04/10/celebrating-5-million-roku-players/

ACC5046725

This has to be the number 1 request coming in. You support NeoTV and WD Live, two dying platforms, but not the market leader. Makes no sense

boplinger

This needs a lot more attention.  Roku, especially the new Roku 3, continues to be the best streaming device out there.  The reviews by the experts and the population at large, blow away the competition.  Please, please, please, develop a Slingplayer channel for Roku, ASAP.

Thank you.

stevenkinsey

Dispite already owning a Roku I ended up wasting my hard earned money purchasing two NeoTVs per slingmedias recommendation. One died and the preformance of the NeoTv makes the other one unusable.. the other connected devices from my understanding are just as bad.

PLEASE support the Roku or Chromecast, the current connected devices are junk...

rgritt

There is really no reason technically that would make it hard to develop a Roku channel for slingbox. The only reason I could think of is they have some agreement with WD or NeoTV that prevents them from developing for Roku. Personally I think Slingbox should LISTEN to their customers who pay them a lot of money.

OvCollyer Apprentice

I think it relates to which device support the 'Flash' platform.

The connected devices they have supported so far, do. This means they can pretty much write the Flash application once and make it available on the WDTV, NEO and Google TV with minimal changes between each so it probably seems a minimal investment for maximum return.

Unfortunately the application is, as many have pointed out, ****.

Roku doesn't (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) support Flash. Same with Apple TV. So this means they'd have to develop a different form of Slingplayer for these devices so you're talking about a bigger investment of resources.

Personally I think they'd have been better off supporting the most likely devices to survive (Roku, Apple TV) and write top notch apps for one or both of these, rather than use a platform (Flash) that gets them on several of the weaker devices. And then make a hash of it. And then taking ages/forever to fix the issues with it.

I'm not holding my breath for a high quality app for Roku, taking into account the feedback from the devices they've supported so far, because I'm not sure the Sling Media of 2013 is capable of either listening to the customers sufficiently or developing it to a high standard.

However, I'd be very happy to be proven wrong and will be the first to congratulate them if they pull it off.

enettrek

Considering that they've already stopped supporting the actual slingplayer for windows and hidden the setup for it under so many links just to force people to use a really big resource hog (browser+flash)  when the windows program was working great, it just sucks for the END USER experience, I wouldn't hold my breath for too long. There's another slingbox type of device that Verizon wireless is selling now that seems to be almost as good if not better. Those of us that have bought a sling we won't be migrating to it but the new users to that platform are happy with it.    

haffarfamily

Hallelujah we finally have a sling player channel on Roku the catch is you have to have the app on your iphone or android and I wasn't able to beam the content to my tv successfully. Let me know if you got it working

OvCollyer Apprentice

So this sounds like something similar to streaming via Airplay to an Apple TV.

I wonder if it suffers the same flaws:

1) remote commands take ages when compared with the web player

2) doesn't stream in 50/60 fps when the source is 1080i

3) the stream still relies on wifi to the iOS device - it would be so much better if the iOS app was able to somehow authorize the Apple TV to stream directly using it's Ethernet connection and the iOS device only maintains a connection for the purpose of issuing remote commands

4) no support for proxy connections

Would be interested to hear from people who've got this working.

alanrichey42 Master

Working fine for me, although I did find I had to force shut down the App and restart before I got the icon next to the volume bar.

Can't comment on 2 & 4 yet but I find a remote command takes 3-4 seconds to operate.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Cheers Alan.

Still sounds slower to respond than the web player then. Currently I see a 2-2.5s with the web player and an SB500 (much longer for a SB350, due to the last firmware bug).

I think the reason the web player is quick is because it doesn't wait for 5s of buffer to build up, instead showing the stream rightaway but playing at a slower speed (Play Speed in the little stats window, on the web player, starts at 90% and rises to 100%) until 5s of buffer has built up. I expect they don't have this control with Airplay on Apple TV, and have to wait the full 5s, but I was curious as to whether they have control over this for the Roku channel/app.

It would be nice if they built in the proxy support to the iOS app as it can make a big difference for long distance Slinging - I go from a sub 2mbps stream to 4-5mbps using a proxy in France when connecting from Istanbul to NYC, which is the difference between SD and HD.

boplinger

This is still a failure on Sling box and Roku's part.  They went to all this effort to develop an app that requires the use of another device.  I had been waiting forever to buy a Roku because the WD TV Live connected device sucks.  But having to use my phone to make Slingplayer work on a Roku still defeats the purpose for me.  Why wouldn't they just make a standalone app for the Roku and add it to their list of connected devices?  Still an epic fail!

bhaffar

I think they do it that way having to use a mobile device because Slingbox collects a fee for use of the app to install instead of creating a truly free channel

OvCollyer Apprentice

I kind of agree actually - I think if you have a Roku connected to a wired connection it'd be far better to stream directly to that, rather than via wireless to your iOS device then bounced back to the Roku. It doesn't strike me as a very solid way of doing things, wireless signals can fluctuate, battery life for the iOS device might be an issue, and if it's like Apple Airplay as soon as you close the iOS app then the stream stops. What happens if the phone rings, or I want to check email - I guess the stream breaks, right? I'm assuming it works like the Apple Airplay - if I'm wrong and it works differently then great. But I did a test yesterday with Airplay and my router showed the stream - once Airplay was switched on - still went to the iOS device, I.e. it wasn't doing something smart like authorising the Apple TV to connect to the stream directly.

However, being able to control the channels etc using an iOS device is a decent idea.

I think my ideal scenario would be:

- an app along similar lines to the other connected device players, for Roku, but without the bugs and with fast response to channel changes. Make it work with the normal Roku remote though.

- then make the iOS app (or a separate 'Slingbox control' app) optionally able to act as a remote control - essentially make the whole iPhone/iPad screen contain all the buttons on the virtual remote, most likely relaying the commands to the Roku app which then passes them onto the Slingbox

jwbelcher Newbie

I tend to disagree. Having your phone become the remote control allows for much more complex user input.   The Roku remote is very limited and would become tiresome using just a d-pad / ok button to input all remote control functions.   I have to think this will be much more stable / usable than the flash based apps on other 'connected' devices.

OvCollyer Apprentice

I think if the stream is going straight to the Roku then that is the biggest improvement and pretty much gives me the same as my ideal scenario anyway, although I am curious as to how things work if you return to the home screen on the iOS device - what does that do to the stream?

If the stream is broken when you use another app then you're effectively tying up the iOS device, hopefully it's not the case though.

Still, until they add proxy server support to the iOS app then it won't be much use to me anyway. Ditto if it doesn't stream 50/60fps - even the other connected devices do that.

jwbelcher Newbie

The roku does want to keep an open connection to the device that launched it.  However, Android and iOS do behave different when backgrounding.

Disappointingly if you background the app on iOS, and return to the home screen, the Roku immediately disconnects.  However, if your on Andriod, it will background and move the app to the notification bar.  You can then use your phone for other stuff while the Roku streams.

I've broken the stream by walking out of proximity of my wifi network.  It seems to hang the Roku and then need to click the home button on the Roku remote.

Also, transferring video back to the phone works fine too.

bhaffar

I have two slingboxes in my house one is the old Slingbox tuner and the other is the Slingbox solo the Roku channel does not work with the Slingbox tuner but does work with my Slingbox solo even though both boxes work on my sling player iPhone app

billsteiner Newbie

Installed the new SlingPlayer App on my Android phone then installed the SlingPlayer App on my Roku 3 and then started the SlingPlayer App on my Android phone and my Roku. Once the phone app connected to one of my Slingbox's, a Solo, I seleced the Roku and all I got was the following message:

Download SlingPlayer For Roku

The SlingPlayer app for Roku must be downloaded before you can continue. Please download the app and retry.

I tried another SlingBox, a ProHD and got the same results. Both Slingboxes are at another location, does that matter?

Any suggestions?

Beryl

Not working on my iPad 3 w/latest iOS and app.  The Airplay icon is present (and works w/ATV) but not the Roku icon.

Working on iPhone 5S w/latest iOS and app but only with the Roku 3.  The Roku LT (with latest firmware) doesn't appear.  (I see in an earlier post that the LT is not yet supported.)

I don't see the Roku icon on my Nexus 7. 

The WD Live implementation is much better so far.  Hopefully things will get better with the Rokus.

jwbelcher Newbie

Check out http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000582.html

No tablet apps are supported yet (iOS or Andriod) - phones only.

Also this covers the supported Rokus - some LT models are now while others are coming late Nov.

However - dont believe this ::

Sometimes the video going to the TV via the Roku stops, or doesn't look very good. Why might that be happening?

Remember that the video  signal is being streamed from your smartphone ... to your Wi-Fi router  ... and back to the Roku streaming player.

I have used about 15 MB of bandwidth after streaming about 10 hours of video to my Roku today.  The app seems to hand off video via DIAL.

billsteiner Newbie

Roku 4200X running software version 5.2 Build 3267 with Slingplayer App version 1.0.31. Downloaded the latest iPad Slingplayer App and the iPad Mini running the most up to date ios does not even see the Roku.

My Nook running Android 4.2.2 see's the Roku but will not connect. The Roku has a triangle next to it and when selected says:

"Download SlingPlayer For Roku

The SlingPlayer app for Roku must be downloaded before you can continue. Please download the app and retry."

Samething happens with my HTC phone running Android 2.3.5

billsteiner Newbie

Interesting, my HTC Inspire 4G running Android OS, v2.3.5 (Gingerbread) and SlingPlayer v2.7.1 attempting to connect to a Roku 4200X running software version 5.2 Build 3267 with Slingplayer App version 1.0.31 does not connect. It shows the Roku on the phone but when I select it I get the error message.

I went to my daughters house, who does not have a Roku and started the Slingplayer app on my phone and noticed that there was no ability to select a Roku. I am assuming that at my house the HTC/SlingPlayer app does see the Roku since it is shown, so maybe the problem is the SlingPlayer app on the Roku.

ACC5203657

I waited a very long time for the Roku sling player. Now that it has been released I am still waiting for one. What was released is just a cruel joke.

1) Why the heck does it require an iPhone?

2) If it requires iOS, why not the iPad?

3) It doesn't respect the names of the Roku boxes. Mine are NOT named Roku 1, Roku 2, and Roku 3. Mine are named Roku Bedroom, Roku Basement, and Roku Great Room. Those are names that when I see them on a list, I know which one is which. Your scheme requires that I just try them all until something happens.

4) Nothing happens. The channel launches and it sits there telling me to run the app on my PHONE! I do, and after trying all three Roku boxes on the list, only one doesn't fail outright, and on that one nothing happens, it just sits there telling me to use my phone.

Do you want this to work? Do you want to sell more Slingboxes? Then make the app you created for the #1 streaming platform on the planet actually work. No phones!!!. Make it work just like Netflix or Plex. For the time being I use a WD Live in one room and a Netgear NeoTV in the other. Both of those suck overall and their sling player is even worse, but they at least work. Aero and Skitter don't require a phone to work on Roku.

Maybe I am crazy for thinking that I could watch the Slingbox on my other two TVs as well as it works in a web browser.

Cheers,

Jonathan Gourd

Beryl

Thanks for posting this. It may help many others avoid the frustration of trying out this new Roku "channel" only to find it not working. I thought it was just my configuration (iPad, iPhone, Android tablet, multiple Rokus, Apple TVs, and WD live) but now I know that the Slingplayer rollout on the Roku is flawed for others.

Too bad Slingmedia didn't have a lot more beta testers before releasing it.  I volunteered to assist earlier but wasn't selected and now I'm not available to help them debug this.

bhaffar

While I agree this Roku release is less than stellar, I do believe we are heading in the right direction and at least now we have "something" albeit it's not great, but it's something and that speaks volumes to me.  We can only hope it will get better with future updates as they figure things out.  As for now, yeah, the current roku solution/implementation sucks donkey balls but in all honesty I never thought we were going to get anything to begin with (all those years begging for support) and it seems like someone finally listened to our pleas.  And you're right, they should have beta tested this more and I think this was hurried out just to get something out there in time for the holiday shopping season to help boost sales, But, better late than never, right?

jwbelcher Newbie

I think the main issue is that many expected the UX from other connected devices be ported to Roku.  If this would have arrived first on Chromecast, the no-UI experience would have been expected and better received.  From a Sling perspective, you've got to think the development cost is substaintially lower though.  Its quite possible, we'd not have a Roku app otherwise.

I see the new Roku support as very similar to the AirPlay.  Were people this upset when they didn't get a SlingPlayer app on ATV?  While it would have been cool to have a full UX, I'm personally stoked that we're seeing this stuff arrive on other platforms rather than exclusively on 2nd-tier devices like WD TV and Neo.  However, my main use case is travel though, and would prefer Chromecast for portiblity reasons, as I dont plan to use this in a condo or cabin as a full time viewer.

billsteiner Newbie

When I attempt to stream to the Roku 4200X running software 5.2 Build 3267 I see a triangle to the left of the word Roku with an exclamation point in the center of the triangle. If I select the Roku I get the error message about downloading the SlingPlayer for Roku app.

1) Does anyone know if the app the error message is referring to is the app on the Roku or the app on the HTC Inspire 4G phone I am using?

2) Since the Roku shows up, I assume that it is being seen on my network because when I try this at another location that does not have a Roku the ability to stream is not avilable.

Just trying to figure out which of the apps is the problem, the one on the phone or the one on the Roku.

OvCollyer Apprentice

I'd question whether this approach, as it stands, is good enough for a full time viewer.

So I start watching TV using my iPhone and a Roku or ATV. I then want to read my email or surf the Internet - I've really got to break the stream in order to be able to do that? Does it cope if the phone rings?

That alone makes this a non-starter in my book, for serious viewing, unless you buy a dedicated iPod touch or something purely for this purpose.

I just hope they see it through and improve it via the feedback they'll get. If so, they might be onto something. Undoubtedly they'll get more by virtue of Roku's relative popularity when compared with WDTV, NEO etc, it's just that every connected device player they've ported so far has had very little post-initial-release attention. There is a history of Sling bringing stuff out and not fully developing it (the best big screen player of all - SlingCatcher - being the prime example).

ekbsrk Newbie

Well put Ov.

Im a boxee slingplayer user, and while its not perfect, it works without having to tie up my phone or tablet. I was hoping for a roku client to move on from boxee, since we all know one day it wont work anymore....

For full time viewers, the airplay type solution is not helpful, or practical.

However for single use, say at a friends house, and for travelers, i think the airplay solution is great. But to truly make your product stand out against upcoming tivo/directv competition, i think you need both.

Personally i see it as a way to force people to purchase the mobile apps, which isnt fair. If i have no intention of  ever watching tv on my phone, and only on my tv, why should i be forced to purchase this app?

jwbelcher Newbie

Agree, this and AirPlay are best suited for personal viewing given the tie-in with your smartphone.  You'll not share your smartphone as a remote control for other family members.  Like you said, a dedicated iPod touch would be needed to truely scale up to household use.

Btw, with Sling adding Blockbuster (yes another Echostar brand) to the  500; I have to wonder when they make the 500 rule all the Sling  connected devices.  It'd be an expensive full time viewer, but I'd pick  one up if they brought full feature parity with slingcatcher and the web  client.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Yeah it would seem like a logical move - the SB500 remote is missing a few buttons though I suppose (the coloured ones, for example) so I suppose it would need to work a bit like the other connected device players with the on-screen menu but they ought to be able to produce a pretty solid player on their own hardware.

cookie7199

Sling Player Roku does not work

I own a slingbox 350.

Just went out and bought a brand new Roku 3 a supported device. Then  purchased the overpriced $15 slingplayer app for android at google play  store so I can use it on the roku.

Does not work.

Called in 5 days ago and they are clueless.

After 2 hours on the phone I get we will call you back once tech support figures it out.

Called again today. No status update.

All the forums and google play store itself have people ****** off at slingbox at this app which is premature and a joke.

Why they would make you use your phone to stream it to the roku and not have a standalone roku app is beyond me.
                                                                            The only reason they do that is to rip people off so they pay $15 for  every phone and tablet they own on top of already shelling out $200 -  $300 for the slongbox. Shame on you!

Using this on Samsung Galaxy S3 but the Roku stream button does not show.

Have done all the suggestions on the boards like uninstalling and  reinstalling on both the phone and roku numerous times. Have reset both  as well. Have cleared data as well. Nothing works.

Any suggestions because SlingBox has no clue and seems to not care about customer satisfaction.

I saw an article that said this was supposed to be version 3.0 yet the app shows 2.7.1 yet they say that is the correct version.

Slingbox tech support and customer support are non existant via the forums or by calling.

I can not believe Echostar / Dish Network own this company. Is their satellite service just as bad?

Help?

Update:

still no solution / Fix from slingbox after several days

Roku 4200X running software 5.2 Build 3267

Box it came in says Model 4200R  however

ACC5671088

Any update on the Slingplayer's Channel direct link through Roku yet?  I would imagine that Slingbox is already working on this, just wondered if there was an ETA on it's launch??

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                  Any update on the Slingplayer's Channel direct link through Roku yet?  I would imagine that Slingbox is already working on this

On the contrary, I suspect that having gone down the smartphone route they will not be looking for the extra work involved in making a direct link.  I don't see why they should want to ?

billsteiner Newbie

You’re kidding, right. The current app is racked with problems (read all the comments here) and there support of their software is almost nonexistent so why not build a sloppy direct link.

ACC5203657

They pulled the Slingbox app from the Roku channel store and removed it from my three Roku units. I guess they heard us. I wonder if Engadget knows anything about this?

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                              They pulled the Slingbox app from the Roku channel store and removed it from my three Roku units

It's back up now and I have to say it's working perfectly for me, so I'm afraid I can't suggest anything,

cwagner84

Can anyone confirm that the slingbox channel on Roku is now working correctly?

ACC5203657

Define Correctly. Does it still use your phone, yes. I gave up and got an Aereo account. I can't get cable channels but all I wanted was to watch the news in the morning anyway.

Cheers

boplinger

For me I won't consider this a viable/working solution until you can use the Roku Sling channel without an Apple/Android device.  I'm never going to be ok with having to use another device to complete the solution.  I will continue to use my horrible WD TV Live and my Media Center PC.  As sh*tty as the app is on the WD TV Live at least I can put my Droid down and let it charge and not rely on it's streaming capability to send it to the Roku.  This design model is such an epic fail.  If I wanted this type of solution I would have bought an Apple TV 2 years ago...

WAKE UP SLINGBOX, LISTEN TO WHAT YOUR CUSTOMERS WANT!!!

hjbrager

Could you please share the devices you are using?  I still can't get the Roku/Slingplayer to work.

alanrichey42 Master

Could you please share the devices you are using?  I still can't get the Roku/Slingplayer to work.

A Roku 2400X running Version 5.3 (Build 3049), and then an iPhone 4 running iOS 7.0.4 and an Huawei G300 running the latest JB Cyanogenmod Custom ROM.

Interestingly, when I ran it all up this morning I had the same symptom as everyone else, with the Icon not appearing on the volume bar.  But I ran an iphone app called Fing, which gives you a status report on the LAN, and found about half of my 24 wireless devices, including the Roku, were not showing up.  It appears the 'lease' had run out overnight and the router had not reconnected them.  A quick reboot of the router and everything was back to normal, including the icon.    Just a thought.

Beryl

It still has limited support. It's does not work with my Roku LT, for example. 

billsteiner Newbie

Still doesn't work with my Roku 3 and HTC Inspire4g.