9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 10:02 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

how to add skin for a custom remote

schindt Newbie

Seems that custom remotes can now be (more or less) added together with their custom skins ( https://community.sling.com/message/82012#82012 ).

Hello Sling moderation team,  would prefer that during setup a custom .spr file could be added together with a custom .bin file, independently from any manufacturer.

So now I tried to add the custom remote (and its skin) of the Telekom Media Receiver MR303. My idea was to do that by selecting a supported device like from Verizon, Comcast or DirecTV. And then just selecting 'custom', uploading the .bin file and replacing the .spr file afterwards. This worked fine with my Dreambox DM8000, but not with the Telekom receiver - with that one it still loads the default remote skin.

How could I get rid of the default remote skin?

• Re: how to add skin for a custom remote
          alanrichey42 Master

I can probably do it by tweaking the BIN file.   What should I select during the setup to give the image you want ?    Which BIN file works with the device ?

schindt Newbie

The following bin file is working http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11570.

I am trying with 'Cable TV Box', 'Comcast' and then 'custom', for some reason no Comcast.spr file is loaded. Doing the same with setup for the Dreambox, Sling's standard Dreambox.spr file is loaded when uploading the .bin file.

alanrichey42 Master
                  I am trying with 'Cable TV Box', 'Comcast' and then 'custom', for some reason no Comcast.spr file is loaded.

That is how the system is supposed to work.  That BIN file uses my personal 'handle' of 2010, and that links to the default remote.   If you want to link it to a Comcast remote the BIN file has to be rewritten using a Comcast code and also the button codes all have to be remapped to the image   I assume the Dreambox BIN file has a Dreambox code..

But I cannot do anything as you didn't answer my question about how I can get the right Comcast remote to display (there are quite a few different ones)

schindt Newbie

I didn't use any special device but 'custom', which leads me just to the step where I can upload the bin file. I think we could take any device but the Dreambox, since this is already used with the component input. Maybe you could tweak that Telekom bin file to 'act' like a Comcast DCT6412.

alanrichey42 Master

Difficult.  There is no Green button, no Skip+ button.. and nowhere to put a lot of the functions.

Apart from the obvious buttons (Arrows/OK, Play/Pause..., Numeric buttons....)  how do you want the rest of the buttons mapped ?

schindt Newbie

With the Dreambox remote from Sling there are buttons missing as well, I am still wondering why it worked with this one.

Went through most of the devices now but not sure which one I could use.

alanrichey42 Master
                                  With the Dreambox remote from Sling there are buttons missing as well, I am still wondering why it worked with this one.

I thought I had explained this before.    if you are installing a Custom Remote then it all depends on what 4 digit code you use for the BIN file.    The Slingplayer downloads the BIN file (Which ONLY contains the IR Codes that each button should send to the device) and then it looks at the 4-digit code.  If it recognises it as being linked to an existing image they have produced (for example C0483 is linked to the Silver Comcast Remote image, S1123 is linked to the Sky HD remote image, V1111 is linked to the TIVO S3 remote image and so on....)   If I have built a Custom Remote then I tend to initially use 2010 as my code.  Slingplayer does not recognise this code so uses the default image.

Now if you are installing a Custom Remote for your Dreambox 800 then I assume the 4-digit code is NOT 2010, maybe its S1206, which is linked to the Dreambox Remote Image ?

Went through most of the devices now but not sure which one I could use.

Build your own image then    https://community.sling.com/thread/8533?tstart=0

schindt Newbie

I remamed your S2010.. bin for the Telekom receiver remote to C0483_PL.bin. So now the Silver Comcast Remote image is loaded, but I cannot replace it with my own image. A soon I connected to the Slingbox, my own .spr file will be owerwritten. Looks like I have to do some tweaks in my .spr, but what?

alanrichey42 Master
                                          I remamed your S2010.. bin for the Telekom receiver remote to C0483_PL.bin.

Odd, normally you cannot rename a BIN file you have to run RemoteMaster to produce a new BIN file with the new code.  Or is thst what you mean ?

cannot replace it with my own image. A soon I connected to the Slingbox, my own .spr file will be owerwritten. Looks like I have to do some tweaks in my .spr, but what?

Make it Read-Only.