27 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2011 7:20 AM by jacksonland RSS

Tivo Remote Problem

kbrowne

I use a Apple computer with SnowLepard.

I tried to set up the Solo to communicate with my Tivo.

I was unsuccessful in getting the remote to work.

The Buttons for Volume and Mute are interactive (light up as your mouse goes over) but no other button on the remote even shows it is responding to my chicking of the mouse.  It's as if the remote is not functional.  This lack of interactivity made me assume that this may be a software issue and not a hardware issue.

I adjusted the IR senders and choose multiple TIVO types in the setup but nothing seemed to want to talk to my Series 2 Tivo unit.

I hooked it up instead to the Cable Box Tuner and it works fine and the remote works.

But I want to use it with my TIVO.

Any recommendations as to how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Tivo Remote Problem
          alanrichey42 Master

This is odd as I have never known anyone not get the built-in Tivo remote to work.  I would have said your IR Blaster was not firing, but as you say that everything works fine with your cable box that cannot be the answer.   I'm on holiday at the moment, but if you want me to try and build a Custom Remote let me know.

galvanizer

I also had a problem with my Tivo remote after being forced to download an upgrade on slingbox.com. Only the volume and mute button would work and there was no channel changing either on my iphone or on computer...........so here's the solution that worked for me.

Press the reset button on back lower right side of the slingbox using a paperclip and press and hold for at least 10 seconds until you see a red light flashing on the front of the slingbox. Now go back to your computer and go to: http://slingaccounts.slingmedia.com, log in  and you should see your slingbox account - click on the remove button, then go back to www.slingbox.com and click on setup your sling box, you should see your slingbox on the network click on it and go to the configure button and follow directions..........I hope this helps.

Renee and Tre

kooka

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my tivo remote.  Only the mut button works.  Picture is great, but can't change the channel.  This has happened before, but usually after a couple hours it starts working again.  This time it doesn't look like it's going to reset.  I can't see rebooting and adding my account every time this happens...  I'm remote when the problem happens, so I can even get to my sling box....

alanrichey42 Master

Before you do a reset just try running the video setup routine (you can do that remotely).  That might be enough.

kooka

The remote started working again 2 hours later.  This has previously happened three times before, and I didn't do anything to the browser or slingbox.  I just left the browser open with the sling video going and the remote on the screen  The slingbox is working, the remote is sending the right signal for the mute function, but tno the resty of teh buttons. I diddn't touch anything or make any changes... I have to believe this is an application issue with sling box on their servers.  They need to fix this ASAP.  You can't even use the sling box unless the remote will change channels....

alanrichey42 Master

Actually I would think it is highly unlikely to be the application.    I've been frequenting Slngbox forums for a long time now and I don't  recall hearing about this intermittent symptom before.  I would think it is much more  likely to be hardware related, maybe your IR Blasters are going 'soft' ?    Next time it stops working you need to get someone at the SLingbox to check them out with a digital camera, you  should be seeing a healthy white flash.  A red flash or no flash will  prove they are on the way out.

kooka

So I figured out what the issue was.  In the late afternoon, the sunlight comes into the room and effects the blasters.  If I close the drapes, the remote works no problem.  The person above was probably experiencing the same problem. I'm pretty sure the blasters are working correctly and are inthe right place. On the new HD tivo box, I was unable to identify exactly where the remote receptor was on the box.  I used a flash light and have seen them a hundred times.  I called tivo and the tech thought the tivo emblam was the receptor..., so I think the blasters are in the right place......   How do you check the blasters with the camera.  Do you look through the view finder and use the remote or do you need to snap a picturte as you use the remote Thanks.

alanrichey42 Master

Just watch them through the viewfinder.  Modern digital cameras actually 'see' down (up?) into the IR Spectrum.   You should see a healthy white flash.   Try it on an ordinary remote so you know what you are looking for.

jacksonland

Just setup a Slingbox Solo and am having the exact same problem with my Tivo Series 2. The volume and mute work; they appear to control the browser program on the computer. Everything else is greyed-out and not responding. Haven't found a solution yet that works.

eferz Expert

Typically that means the remote file that was uploaded to the Slingbox got corrupted.

You should go through the reseting the video source and setting it up again.

jacksonland

Yeah, I went through the setup from scratch, twice again, and did a hard reset on the Slingbox. It must be in the computer's software, otherwise, why would the remote be greyed-out?

I don't think that the Slingbox would control the software on the computer (greyed-out remote), isn't it the other way around, where the computer controls the Slingbox, then we just get the audio/video signal, only, coming back to the computer?

The video and audio are playing just fine, I just have to go into the other room and use the actual Tivo remote. Even if the blasters weren't working, that wouldn't make the on-screen remote greyed-out, right?

BrandonC Novice

jacksonland,

The remote being grayed out has nothing to do with you positioning the IR emitter in the correct place.Disregard any of that info. Your post is in the Mac forum. You using a Mac or Windows? They are of course very different programs.

I would suggest you create a new topic, in the correct forum with exaclty what version of Slingbox you are using etc.

jacksonland

Just fixed it. Here is what I did... I had been setting the Slingbox Solo up with my iMac with Firefox and Snow Leopard. The remote was always greyed-out.

I just went through the setup for a third time, but, this time on a Windows XP machine. The remote was NOT greyed-out and worked.

I then went back to my iMac and, wow, the remote is no longer greyed-out, and it works.

Something about the Mac setup software must not have been right.

Thanks,

Bill

kooka

Make sure the blasters are in the right place.  They should be to the left of the green light on the tivo box pointing on to the smooth black plastic.

pilotstevek

I also had the same problem but got it to work by waiting a couple of hours.

I was using my Apple OS X Snow Leopard machine and Firefox browser to set up my TiVo Series 2 DVR for my Slingbox Solo. At first I selected the Series 2 remote and it appeared everything was clickable, but pressing the on-screen buttons didn't effect my DVR. I started trying other TiVo remotes but got the same result. I then found this thread in a google search so it gave me some hope that it was possible. I kept trying to set up the Slingbox and eventually retried the standard TiVo Series 2 (PVR) remote and experienced the non-clickable/grayed-out buttons for everything except audio functions (mute, vol. up, vol. down). At this point I was pretty frustrated and decided just to watch something without using the remote and eventually went to bed (leaving the connection stream open, just turned off the tv). The next morning I tried it again by connecting from my iPhone and everything worked! I also tested on my Firefox browser and it worked as well.

jrfruth

I had the same problem:

Tivo Series 3 setup, all buttons except volume and mute were inactive.

Once I did setup via the SlingPlayer app (instead of the web setup) all worked great.

-J

BigRedDog

FWIW, I had same problem on Mac.  The remote would display, but the buttons were "greyed out" and no IR signal was sent to the blaster (I have an IR detector) when the greyed out button was pressed (as one would expect - just noting that to clarify it is not a blaster issue). Running SL, but don't think that is the issue.  The IR blaster is setup and working correctly.

Did "input setup" on the web app via Safari/Mac, showed that it downloaded the IR set... but it didn't work correctly.  Also worth note, checked (according to online support) the current firmware version and the webapp said it was correct/current.

Anyway, found this thread, logged into Sling Software on Win7 machine.  Said it was downloading an update.  The update wouldn't show until I restarted the Windows app.  When I did restart, it said the firmware was out of date and downloaded the current version.  From there, I re-setup the Tivo Input, and it worked correctly first time through.  Now works correctly on the Mac also.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for those above me that posted.

richsadams

I experienced the exact same problem.  Here's my setup:

• TiVo Series3
                                            • Slingbox Solo w/Component Video (YPbPr)
                                            • MacBook Air 11.6"
                                            • Mac OS X v10.6.5
                                            • Apple Airport Extreme Router
                                            • Safari Browser

No matter which TiVo Series3 remote I selected all of the buttons except volume/mute (which are part of the web program) were grayed out.

THIS WORKED: I finally installed the first TiVo remote listed - TiVo DirecTV (default) (Satellite) - and that worked!

I actually went back and tried the TiVo Series3 remotes and found the keys now lit up and would highlight if I moused over them, but no response from my TiVo.  I switched back to the TiVo DirecTV default remote and things were good again.

I also have Windows 7 Ultimate setup via Bootcamp and installed Sling in Firefox.  In that setup I picked the TiVo Series3 PVR remote and it worked the very first time. 

I'm still using the TiVo DirecTV remote but would like to use the correct Series3 remote so if anyone figures this out...please post and TIA!

EDIT: See my next post for info about how the Series3 remote actually started working.

Message was edited by: richsadams

alanrichey42 Master

Give this one a try

Al

richsadams

Thanks very much for that.  Unfortunately the Slingbox Solo doesn't support the SlingPlayer for Mac.  I have to use Slingbox.com.

Using the DirecTV remote works fine, so it's not a big deal.  I'd just like to use the correct remote for the Series3...mostly esthetics I guess.

Once I'm sure this will work in "the wild" I'm going to install the SlingPlayer App on my iPad.  Hopefully that will allow me to use the correct remote...but hey if not, it's not the end of the world. 

Thanks again though.

EDIT: Wait, I see that SlingPlayer is "not supported" but may work.  So I'll go ahead and download it, see how it goes and report back.

Okay...it appears that the SlingPlayer is working okay AND the Series3 remote is also working (the only button that doesn't appear to work is "Slow" but I can live with that.)

Well, lo and behold I gave Slingbox.com a try again and the Series3 remote is now there...and working!  Woot!  ("Slow" works as well FWIW).

So that was a very strange road to travel to get it to work properly, but it's working so I'm going to stop complaining now.  Thanks very much for the assistance! 

Message was edited by: richsadams

kbrowne

This worked for me on my series 3 Tivo

But it had 1 bug.

The Up Down Right Left navigations buttons were not synced to the correct location.

Left was Down for instance.

Maybe this was unique to the series 3?

THanks though.

This issue is manageable and I can now use my Tivo with my slingbox.

- K

alanrichey42 Master

I have seen that a couple of times as well.  I don't think it is the Series 3, I think it is one or more of the manufacturers who switched the codes, either intentionally or accidently.  If you want me to fix yours just let me know.