5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2014 1:45 PM by janottoa RSS

350 won't allow edit on my sling account, asking for administrator password on desktop when attempting to edit settings

jomobco

I just added a slingbox 350 to my stable.  I have 2 Pro's and 1 now dead pro HD (power cord, resistors, who knows?).  The 350 was to replace the less than a year old HD that took a dump. 

I've reset the 350 multiple times.  I cannot get in either online or on my desktop sling software to edit the network settins and change anything other than the name.  I've turned firewalls off, configured ports, reset again and yet it won't let me in.

On my sling account I can hit watch, settings and it shows no advanced settings like it does with my other 2 boxes to get into the automatic set-up.  When I go to my slingbox directory online my other 2 slings have edit and remove boxes.  The 350 only shows a watch button like I'm a guest.  

When I use my desktop software on my Mac I can edit my other 2 boxes but the 350 wants an administrative password which I've never set even after multiple resets.  Admin does not work.  admin does not work.  Administrator does not work, etc. etc. etc.

Why is this box such a PITA comparted to my others? 

John

• Re: 350 won't allow edit on my sling account, asking for administrator password on desktop when attempting to edit settings
          Lynsey Newbie

Hello jomobco,

Sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time with your new Slingbox 350. Can I ask what network settings it is that you're trying to manually configure? The Slingbox 350 was designed to automatically configure everything during the setup process so you do not have to. When it comes to accessing your Slingbox 350 via the desktop SlingPlayer, you will not be able to as the newer Slingbox's (350 and 500) are not compatible with the desktop software and that is why you're getting the admin password incorrect message. You will need to view, update and make any changes to your Slingbox 350 on our web site at newwatch.slingbox.com

Below are some links to better assist you with updating any network setting and where to find the Slingbox's network details for your Slingbox 350.

I hope this information helps you and if you have any further inquires please feel free to reply!

Thank you,

Sling Media Moderation Team

• Re: 350 won't allow edit on my sling account, asking for administrator password on desktop when attempting to edit settings
              jomobco

I've changed the IP address which the slingbox took however it was now a router setting instead of something you can set on the device which complicates things for me but it's done.  However with the new IP address and a port forward to that address of a number other than what you want of 5201 shows that the slingbox simply skips along up the number chain from 5201 each time you reset it or it reboots.  Prior to my last hard reset it was at 5216 even though I had the port forwarded well above that.  It's sort of hard to port forward to a dynamic port on the sling.  I'd like to be able to use the port 5201 for other things besides this (VOIP, Server, Etc).

It's very disapointing that you do not support or even allow the newer 350 and 500 boxes to connect to the desktop software.  Plenty of my viewing is done within my own network and nowhere on any of your press releases or advertising do you highlight this change of service.  I know you didn't make that call but it's very disapointing to have to use a browser to view this new sling.  Please pass that up the chain.

So how I can assign a static port of my choice on the sling to forward to?  I use an Airport Extreme router without UPNP. 

Thanks,

John

Lynsey Newbie

Hi John,

Thank you so much, not only for your reply, but your feedback as well! It is greatly appreciated as we always take our customers concerns into consideration. When it comes to setting up your Slingbox 350, it will always try to open port 5201 and work its way up the ladder depending on what ports are available on your router. There is not a way to set up a higher port and it automatically default to that when the Slingbox is reset, unless you assigned all your other ports that you do not want the Slingbox to use to something else. I do understand why you're trying do it this way and I want to apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. However, if your setup is successfully complete at this time you shouldn't have a reason to reset your Slingbox, but if need be you will have to reassign the port you want to your Slingbox.

In regards to the desktop SlingPlayer not being able to connect to your Slingbox 350, I again want to apologize that you're frustrated with that as well. However, with your preference in streaming from within your home network, you can still do this with the Slingbox 350 and 500. To do so you will still need to connect to our web site but once connected to your Slingbox, you can stream your Slingbox in the pop up window (last icon in the upper right of your screen) then you will be streaming from your home network only. I hope that this information resolves your issue and concern with streaming within your home network

If there is anything else that I might be able to assist you with, please let me know.

Thank you,

Sling media moderation Team

janottoa

Good to know. After looking in several hours to find howto configure my new Slingbox 350, with static IP, password and so on, at least I got the answer. For this reason I am returning this awful product to the seller. I do not want to see any tv in a slowly browser.

I did have Slingbox solo, and this is a much better box. Do not know anyone want to have these newer products, made like any Apple system, you can no do anything with then, you cannot use them local, because you need to streem througth internett. So, now they can sit and spy on you like the American does. I do not want to have products like this!!!!!!

DOWN WITH SLINGBOX!!!!!!