8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2013 1:38 PM by asta72 RSS

Sling Player Issues

jfriedrich

Hi guys,

I am using the latest firmware build...it's hardwired.  Just to get that out of the way...It's the wd tv live hub...

So:

1. Pressing the b button shows me an incorrect public ip the slingbox is connected to.  It's correct on the webplayer.

2.  The streaming rate is all over the place.  I have plenty of bandwidth on the upstream to support the full HD quality setting.  It's stays at around 4000 for the web player.  On the wd, it bounces all over resulting in stuttering.  Obviously a player issue.

Pass this on the the firmware guys, I am sure other people are experiencing the same thing...

Thanks.

I have posted this also on the wd forums to see what is the cause....

• Re: Sling Player Issues
          jfriedrich

Hi guys,

Any resolution to this?  As mentioned, the wd player is all over the place for streaming rates versus the web player AND the quality is definately LOWER than the web player...

I have opened a ticket with wd in regards to this and am curious if you are seeing the same thing on your end...

Thanks.

callanish Apprentice

What kind of distance are you between the Slingbox and the WDTV Connected device, and what streaming protocol are you running on the P.C ( SNATT, TCP or RELAY) Running the forced 'Relay" on a connected device can cause those streaming numbers to be all over the map.

Perfect example; SNATT on a P.C gives me double the speeds of a TCP connection using a box 5000 miles away from my connected device. A 5mb upload from the slingbox to a 60mb download on the connected device side gives me around a 2.3mb stream using SNATT on the P.C. Where as, that stream protocol switches to Relay on my connected devices and I'm lucky if I'm hitting a 1.1mb stream with Relay and 1mb on TCP. The difference is 'Relay' is less stable with a connected device at greater distances. I've seen my stream all over the map under relay creating a lot of pauses, but my TCP stream remains solid. You can actually see how erratic your stream is on your connected device using 'relay' by checking out the live stats on the wdtv hardware. It will show you those 'relay' numbers streaming all over the place.

So, my question is are you running a TCP protocol (TCPWAN) on your connected device? My connected devices are pretty stable when running TCP rather than Relay. The signs I had were similar to yours. No problem on the webplayer, but erratic bandwidth issues on all my connected devices. Changing the router to a more stable, but not as fast, TCP stream fixed my problem.

If you are running TCP on the router, then the problem obviously isn't streaming protocol related.

jfriedrich

Hi,

Thanks for the response...

So, here is what we have running as a test setup.  The slingbox 350 is hooked up to a Cisco 3825 enterprise router.  I have a different isp connection hooked to my wdtv for test purposes, hence, a different subnet.  So, sorry for my ignorance, but where would I find / change the TCP versus relay settings on the connected device ala wdtv?  Also, as mentioned in the post, why the difference in video quality from using the webplayer versus using the wdtv player?  The webplayer is also connected to a different isp for test purposes to see the difference in quality...

I appreciate your input on this as I know it would clear up alot of questions that are similar on the wd forums...

Thanks again for the help.

Jason.

jfriedrich

Hi,

Also to add to this discussion...sorry you mentioned running tcp over the router rather than relay?  Can you elaborate on this?  We also tried a consumer netgear router to see if we were missing something in the Cisco IOS that needed to be changed and had the same result.  Very erratic playback rates on the wdtv and smooth on the webplayer.  Also, as mentioned, way more compression artifacts on the wd versus the webplayer...

Thanks again.

jfriedrich

Hi,

Also, distance wise, about 80ms between sites for ping.  Not much congestion doing a tracert...

Thanks.

jfriedrich

Hi,

One more point, we tried hooking the 350 direct to the isp, no router, and same result.  Try it, I still think it's a player issue with the wd....

Thanks.

callanish Apprentice

When I mentioned different streaming protocols, I was pointing the finger at the settings required within your slingbox router in order to receive a certain type of stream from the slingbox to the connected device. What I was originally trying to find out was what type of stream you were running in the first place. The WDTV live's red (B) button or CTRL ( hold down ) and click the screen on the P.C and that should bring up the stats on the stream. Is it TCPwan or is it Relay or in the case of using your P.C, is it SNATT? There's no way to change the stream type on the WDTV live itself; it's all done at the router end hooked up to the slingbox.

My original school of thought was that these new connected devices haven't been the most stable at streaming from day one. There was a reason for why the original Slingcatcher required a TCP stream and in my opinion that all came down to stability, but TCP never provided fast enough speeds at longer distances. When the new connected devices were introduced, they weren't forced to use just TCP, but they weren't using SNATT exclusively either ( My understanding is it's a Flash issue for why they won't run SNATT ). Frankly, I can't run Relay on any of my connected devices ( Sony Google TV, two Logitech Revues, one WDTV Live and one WDTV Play connected to 3 different slingbox's) without either getting disconnected or something crashing the app. The speed changes are far too wild on Relay.

When I originally installed my 350, I went through the original web interface setup believing I had a TCP stream and that port forwarding was working, but after hooking up one of my connected devices remotely, it turns out I was running 'relay', so I had to remotely access my router and manually port forward / port map the settings to 5201 in order to see a TCP stream. Up to that point, my WDTV live could hardly maintain a stable stream, thus the lower video resolution settings and all over the map speeds, so that's why my first reaction to your situation was that your router isn't correctly port forwarding the stream and the WDTV box isn't working with 'Relay" all that well which was my original problem . Even with a TCP protocol, all my connected devices run their video resolution down one level in comparison to my P.C which shows up as a noticeable difference in picture quality. Still don't know why, as they are both running at the same streaming speeds.

The answer to your question is probably way above my pay grade, and the problem could still be pointed at the WDTV, but my general thinking was that if you get back to slingbox basics, verify that you're getting a TCP stream to your connected device, then you can rule out any streaming protocol issues. If you're running "Relay", one way to possibly eliminate the issue, which was how I solved my original problem, was to verify your port forwarding settings. From my experience, you can't take the sling web setup for granted saying you're successfully setup for remote viewing. In my case, it happened to be not true. With an 80ms ping, you've got no latency problems. I'm getting numbers close to 200ms, which is the reason for why a 5mb TCP upload speed becomes 1 - 1.3mb on the receiving end.

All problem signs still point at the WD as the cause, but if you aren't running TCP, it couldn't hurt to check the settings on the router to see if it makes any difference in the stream stability.