22 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 9:23 AM by Avichad74 RSS

cant connect to your slingbox because . . .

hacplaya

when I am trying to watch tv trhromy slingbox hd pro i can now only do so if i am on my home wireless. Not from anywhere else. This has not happened all the time.I am getting the message ''cant connect to your slingbox because it is not connected to the internet . . .' but I know that it is. Anybody had this problem and know what to do ?

• Re: cant connect to your slingbox because . . .
          ronweyforth

I can't connect with any of my iphone or ipad even when on wireless only connected to my local network.

ronweyforth

Reset my slingbox, and then did the setup. Internet viewing works now.

hacplaya

when you say reset do you mean turn off and on again ? If so I have done that a few times with no joy

Lynsey Newbie

Hi hacplaya,

Thank you for posting in our on line answers forums! To do a hard reset on your Slingbox you're going to want to hold the reset button on the back of the Slingbox for 30 seconds (time it if possible as anything under will not be effective). Once you have both a solid network and power light after the reset is complete, you will then need to go to setup.slingbox.com to reconfigure your Slingbox and reset up Internet viewing. If that does not resolve your issue, I want you take a look at the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps listed within that link.

Please reply with any further questions you have.

Cheers,

Sling Media Moderation Team

hacplaya

Thanks.

I will try that later. 

golf

We are in the philippines and have been using our sling box for years.

We recently purchased a series 9000 Samsung internet tv 75" and can not connect to it as it requires a plug in to operate.

How do we download the plug on the internet tv or is it just not possible.

We have been using the sling box for years and have had many years of enjoyment with nit.

Vivian McCarthy

Lynsey Newbie

Hi golf,

When it comes to the Internet TV's you will not be able to download the SlingPlayer plug in as it is not compatible with the Internet TV's. If you want to view your Slingbox on a TV then you can look into purchasing what is called a connected device. There are a few out that have the SlingPlayer plug in already installed. Please see the link below for the connected devices that will allow you to view your Slingbox on a TV.

I hope this helps!

Thank you,

KenThorne

This reset works for me but the real question is why must I do this every 30 days or so, very frustrating!

Lynsey Newbie

Hello KenThorne,

You're correct, you should not have to do a hard reset on your Slingbox that often. Usually a hard reset is only needed in cases like you changing your router, or your Internet service provider or if your router becomes reset or unplugged, as all these cases will assign your router a new IP address and the Slingbox will keep trying to connect with the old one until a reset and reconfigure is done. 

Is there is not anything else connected to the network that gets booted off line as well? When this happens  are you still able to access the Internet? If your router does reset on a regular basis then I would look into getting what is called a static IP address, this way when your router reconnects it is assigned the same IP address and you would not have to reset your Slingbox.

If it is not an issue with your router, then I would suggest at this time you contact us at 877 GO SLING (467-5464) so we can further troubleshoot this issue.

Best regards,

hacplaya

I did connect after the reboot.

The problem is that virtually every day I have to turn the slingbox off and then on again.

I have 2 slingboxes in seperate locations and both always have both lights on but I get the same "cannot connect ...." message from both all the t

They are connected to diffeent makes of routers, one iis a BT Homehub and the other is a Speedtouch, so it is unlikely to be a problem with compatibility I would think.

Very frustrating as I cannot do what I should be able to.

Lynsey Newbie

Hi hacplaya,

I do understand that it is very frustrating. Did you try all the troubleshooting steps in the link I provided above? I will include it again below. If you have already done the reset and reconfigured your Slingbox then at this time I would focus on the power cycle portion of the article. Also, when you done the reset, did you hold the reset button down for 30 seconds? You want to time that process as anything under 30 seconds will not be effective. Also, when you're finished with the reset and have a solid network and power light you will need to reconfigure the Slingbox at setup.slingbox.com and if you have already tried the reset then I want you to go ahead and try the power cycle of the Slingbox and the router at this time.

If you have walked through all the troubleshooting steps on that article then I suggest that you call ion as well for further troubleshooting steps. You can contact us at 877- GO SLING (467-5464)

Best Regards,

Sling Media Moderation Teams

jelly

I seem to be having the same issue connects with firefox but none of the webplayer controls works.Windows IE just hangs.tried diffrerent machines

trevie1970

I not able to connect to the Sling box too, I think its to do with the ActiveX component. It was working fine until I updated the Web Driver and now the IE just hangs and Google chrome just reports that the programme is not responding, which is consistant on two machines. not able to use a previous version of ActiveX as the system will only refer to getting a update if so... just have to wait until a new ActiveX patch is released. I just wish people would thouroughly test their applications before releasing them.. GRRRRR... After writing this, It seems to work, if you change from the UK to the united States server. this seems to solve the problem.

Avichad74

I am having the same problem. My slingbox was working fine yesterday and now it just stopped. I opened my sling player on my iPad and it wouldn't connect. I closed the player and reopened it. It now says there is no slingbox in my account. How did it delete the box by itself? I am out of the country for another few days. How can I get my slingbox back in my account? My slingplayer on the iPad keeps saying no slingbox in your account. I didn't change anything. Watching it fine one day then it is gone the next!