7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2013 3:47 AM by ginlemon RSS

1080p input not supported

ginlemon

Hi There

I'm a little baffled at the lack of 1080p60 and/or 1080p50 component video input support.

Here's a summary of what works and what not:

1080i 50Hz  --> OK

1080i 60Hz  --> OK

1080p 24Hz  --> OK

1080p 25Hz  --> red screen (!)

1080p 30Hz  --> OK

1080p 50Hz  --> "The connected video signal is not supported"

1080p 60Hz  --> "The connected video signal is not supported"

Clearly, 1080p inputs are mostly either 50Hz or 60Hz, so the main feature advertised ("1080p support") is not working.

I have this issue since Jan 19 - no feedback ever received from Slingbox support.

Does anybody have a clue?

Alex.

• Re: 1080p input not supported
          OvCollyer Apprentice

Curious as to whether you ever got this working, or can we assume the 350 doesn't support 1080p as advertised?

Maxcats Novice

I read this thread too which provided some answers.

https://community.sling.com/message/77067#77067

What are you sending into your Slingbox 350 at 1080p?

OvCollyer Apprentice

Well I've not tried it yet, but I was hoping to convert the 1080i/50 output from my STB to 1080p50 using an HDFury4 and then feed this into the Slingbox.

I saw the thread you linked to and there was a post at the end saying he/she could stream at 1080p50/60 but this thread contradicts that so I wondered if anyone else had got it working, whether the issue was source-specific.

(As a side note, the reason for this seemingly pointless move is that it may give a wider selection of streaming resolutions at 50fps.

1080i/50 only streams at 50fps when set to 1920x1080, otherwise it's 25fps

720p50 streams at 50fps for all resolutions

What I'm wondering is if 1080p50 will behave like 720p50 in that all streaming resolutions will be 50fps, but I'll get the benefit of being able to manually select 1920x1080, 1920x544, 1280x540 and 640x480, compared with just 1280x720 and 640x480 when streaming from a 720p50 source)

ginlemon

Hi There

I have an Iscan Duo feeding HDMI to an  HDFury 2, which then feeds into the Slingbox 350. I can realiably control the resolutions that are being produced by the Duo, and I've seen the HDFury at work in other circumstances with zero issues. As such, I'm confident the issue is with the Slingbox.

I haven't been able to  get the Slingbox to accept 1080p50 or 1080p60. There's clearly a bandwidth limit set at 1080p30 (equivalent to 1080i60), whether this has been set intentionally or not remains to be seen.

I was waiting for slingbox to release the new firmware prior to repeating my tests.

How do you measure the output stream resolution?

Best

Alex.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Right, thanks for the info.

In the web player you can bring up a stream info Window, including the resolution, by clicking on the video while pressing control (or similar).

OvCollyer Apprentice

By the way, what is your opinion of the iScan Duo's video processing?

Specifically, have you ever tried applying it to a Slingbox stream ie at the viewing end? I'm curious as to how the mosquito noise reduction, edge enhancement etc works when given heavily compressed video such as that produced by a Slingbox.

ginlemon

The iScan Duo is a wonderful machine. It's best in video processing, are the upscaling/calibration features that allow feeding the best image possible to your tv set. In my experience, though, poorly encoded content remains poor, even if fed through the IScan Duo.

In my setup, the Slingbox should sit at the dual output of the IScan Duo, hence getting the very same that is fed to my main TV screen. The IScan is configured to always produce a 1080p image matching the input frequency (which in my setup could be 24Hz, 50Hz or 60Hz depending on the source - mostly 50Hz).

I haven't tried hooking up the Slingbox as a source device to the IScan Duo. When using the Slingbox video output directly I expect a pass-through signal, so I won't get the actual streamed content. If wanted to feed the Slingbox stream into the Duo, I'd need an additional device (such as a WD Live) to decode the stream and produce a video output signal.

I have a WD Live sitting all alone in my setup, so I might give it a try one day. I don't expect wonders, though, as the video stream produced by those devices (such as Slingbox) is optimized for transmission and video quality is somehow compromised (=good only if seen on a small screen such as a portable device or a laptop).

Alex.