7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2013 7:45 AM by Lynsey RSS

Connection keeps dropping

rjschick92

I have recently been having a problem with my Slingbox that I have owned for over 2 years with no issues until now. I am able to connect to the Slingbox but after about 5 minutes of streaming the connection drops and I am unable to connect again for about 10-20 minutes. The same thing happens over and over where I can connect but then the connection drops. I have tried all the troubleshooting stuf - resetting the Slingbox, resetting to factory settings, unplugging the router and the Slingbox, etc. Same thing happens. Please let me know if you have any idea what the issue is. Never had a problem before 2 weeks ago.

• Re: Connection keeps dropping
          Lynsey Newbie

Hi rjschick92,

Thank you for posting in our on line forums!  So I see you stated that your Slingbox randomly drops its network connection after streaming for a few minutes. I am sorry for the inconvenience. When you done a  hard reset on your Slingbox did you go into the setup portion of our site and reconfigure your Slingbox? What are you upload and download speeds at the Slingbox location as well as the remote location where you're trying to view the Slingbox from? Have you tried to stream any other type of video's, for example, YouTube or Netflix and if so did you loose the network connection? Have you only tried streaming from one device or more? Also, have you tried a different Internet browser? I would also like to know if the lights on the front of your Slingbox blink or stay solid when the connection is dropped? Below are some troubleshooting steps that I would like for you to try.

I hope this helps! However, If none of these troubleshooting steps help, please feel free to reply and it would be greatly appreciated if you included answers to my questions above so i can better understand your setup and connection.

Thank you,

Sling Media Moderation Team

rjschick92

Thanks for the response. I'll try to answer your questions below.

When you done a hard reset on your Slingbox did you go into the setup portion of our  site and reconfigure your Slingbox?

Yes, I set up everything again. I am able to connect and watch for a short time but the problem is that I soon lose connection every time.

What are you upload and download  speeds at the Slingbox location as well as the remote location where  you're trying to view the Slingbox from?

I'm not exactly sure how to figure that out. If you could let me know, that would be great.

Have you tried to stream any  other type of video's, for example, YouTube or Netflix and if so did you  loose the network connection?

At my location (away from Slingbox at home) I have no problem with streaming videos on my computer.

Have you only tried streaming from one  device or more?

One device - TV cable box.

Also, have you tried a different Internet browser?

No, I usually watch with the SlingPlayer application. It's been no different with Firefox though.

I  would also like to know if the lights on the front of your Slingbox  blink or stay solid when the connection is dropped?

Both lights are solid.

Below are some  troubleshooting steps that I would like for you to try.

Thanks but I've looked at those already. I'm trying to figure out whether it's a hardware problem with the actual SlingBox or Slinglink devices or a home internet/router issue.

Lynsey Newbie

Hey rjschick92,

Thank you for replying with all the information I needed! At this time I am really interested in your upload and download speeds at both the Slingbox and the remote location. To find out what your speeds are, you can go to speedtest.net and you will see what looks like a laptop and within the laptop there will be a "Begin test" button that you will click on. When you click on the "Begin test" button it will run the test which usually takes a minute or two and will give you your upload and download speeds. I want you to try this at both the remote location as well as the Slingbox location and reply with what the speeds are for both locations. I want to rule the Internet speeds out so I know what other troubleshooting steps I might need you to do.

Also, when I asked "Have you tried streaming from only one device or more" I was wondering if you've tried streaming the Slingbox on anything other than your PC like a tablet, smart phone or even a different PC. If so, does the network connection still drop and if you haven't tried another device could you please? Once you do the speed test please reply with those upload and download speeds so I can take a further look into this issue for you.

Again, I want to thank you for your quick reply and let you know that I appreciate all the detailed information you provided!

Best Regards,

Sling Media Moderation Team

lscamafi

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same issue with 2 slingboxes (PRO HD & SOLO)

I've had these 2 slingboxes for 3 years and both started dropping the connection with the code W201 6 weeks ago

Both are in different locations and the speed for those 2 locations is 2MB download/500K upload (average)

I've tested from several computers, several browsers and locations on the other end all of them with the same result

I'm frustrated becosse I'm away from the sites where my slingboxes are located

Please help!

rjschick92

OK, I did the tests.

Slingbox location:

Download: 28.10 Mb/s

Upload: 3.97 Mb/s

Location where I am trying to connect to the Slingbox:

Download: 39.2 Mb/s

Upload: 49.0 Mb/s

As far as using the Slinbox on another device, I will try to do that soon.

rjschick92

Good news, I was able to maintain a connection the other day without it dropping after resetting the Slinbox again. I wasn't watching in very high quality, but I was able to use the Slingbox with no problems. I'll let you know if I have any further problems but hopefully things will be working OK from here on out.