5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2010 6:01 PM by UKenGB RSS

slingbox audio not working

chrispeich

so my audio is not working with my pc or my Iphone. Just hooked the slingbox up yesterday . Anybody experience this. I had to upgrade firmware before starting so I am not familiar with previous issu

• Re: slingbox audio not working
          UKenGB Newbie

I now have this problem. For the last few weeks, the SlingBox has not been working, due to a failing power supply unit it now transpires. But with a new PSU and able to connect and stream video it's looking good - but literally, just looking, there is NO audio output:-( I've updated the firmware and tried both the Mac application and also via the browser, but still no audio.

I know the connections are good and the SB is receiving audio because it is being passed through to the output from where I can hear the audio, but no sound is being streamed. Obviously I've checked that I am not muting the sound somehow and all other apps are able to output audio on the Mac as they should. Only SlingPlayer (or FireFox) is silent.

I was delighted with this unit for the first few months, now I want to throw it out the window. Does ANYONE know why a SB simply stops streaming audio. Will it help if I SHOUT at it? Threaten it? Kick it?

Bryanod Novice

Because its the same for both a pc and ipod  I would Check the following

If is passing thru audio I agree its getting audio  What input is that?  Is it the same in the slingplayer.  svideo and composite share the same audio input.  So can you have that mixed?  Also some devices when set to HDMI out will stop the anolog out as well.

Post the info screen. Is there a audio bitrate?   

UKenGB Newbie

The SB is connected to the analogue stereo (RCA jacks) output of the satellite (Sky) box only. I have never used the S/PDIF digital input on the SB so this audio failure concerns the analogue signal only.

If I connect the analogue stereo output of the SB (pass thru) to another device I have an audio signal there so I KNOW that the SB is receiving the stereo signal at its stereo inputs which means that this audio failure is an internal SB problem. But I don't know if it's a hardware or software problem. However, given that the audio is passing thru OK, I'd guess it's the latter.

I don't have a handy S/PDIF signal to try that.

Sling have washed their hands of the entire problem and refused to help as it's more than 3 months old and I'm using it in the UK. Not that this has any real bearing on the fact that it's not working though of course. Not a great recommendation of the company I have to say.

Bryanod Novice

there are 2 rca analog inputs

6-5-2010 7-36-56 PM.png

The pass tru will still work on either check the slingplayer input

player.png

The green arrow works for composite and s video.  If you plugged  on the red arrow you video input can only be configured for component

For give me if your already aware. The pass thru will still pass thru but not sling audio if its not like above

UKenGB Newbie

Brilliant. It's always nice to be shown as a complete *****:-(

Having had so much trouble with this box and indeed even swapped it out for another one briefly, once I figured it had been the power supply, replaced that and connected this one back up again, all the time fiddling around the back of the unit with no direct line of sight to the actual connections... Yup, I'd got the audio cables in the wrong connectors. Now they're back in the correct sockets, the audio is again fully functional.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Sometimes, that's exactly what's required :-)