7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 2:04 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

IR sensors are changing the channel on multiple cable boxes

tailorrmade

I've had the slingbox solo for about a year now and it has worked beautifully.  I just moved into a new home where all my cable boxes are located in the same closet (for convenience and aesthetics).   I hooked everything up and mounted the IR emitters directly over the sensor on my cable box and attempted to change the channel through the slingbox . . . Every box in that closet responded to the slingbox emitter.

IS THERE ANY FIX FOR THIS???

I have Verizon FIOS service and the boxes that I have are Cisco CHS 335.  They DO have a 1/8" IR input sensor on the back of the cable box and I was wondering if I use a cable with 1/8" tip on each end, would that communicate with the cable box and fix my problem.  Obviously I can't use the slingbox and manipulate every TV in my house while I am away.  There should be a simple fix for this . . . .

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

thanks

• Re: IR sensors are changing the channel on multiple cable boxes
          keith.sling Apprentice

Hello tailormade,

Thanks for using our answers forum! I understand your predicament. You have multiple identical cable boxes in the same closet therefore the IR signal is being received by all of them. There are a couple of things that you can do to remedy this. First of all, the reason that the Slingbox is changing all of the channels is because all of the boxes are using the same IR coding. You may be able to change the remote address of the other cable boxes as the Slingbox generally uses address 1 or 2. I would advise contacting your cable provider to find out if this is a possibility with your particular boxes. Another thing I can suggest would be to set the other cable boxes to RF (radio frequency) rather than IR (infrared) this will prevent the Slingbox from communicating with the boxes that are set to RF. And lastly, although this may not be aesthetically pleasing, you can affix the IR sensors directly to the cable boxes of which you do want the Slingbox to control with electrical tape as this will block the signal form reaching the other boxes.

Hope these suggestions help!

Regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

tailorrmade

Thanks for your responses.  There are a few issues with your suggestions though.

1.  The reason they are in the same closet is that they are being controlled through baluns with IR transmitters attached to the front of the other boxes.  I don't know if changing the IR code or the frequency type would alleviate my problem more than it would cause others.  This is also why this confuses me so much because there are IR signals being "thrown around" in that closet all the time.

2.  I do have the IR transmitter taped to the TOP of the cable box so the "eye" points downward at the IR sensor.  If they "eye" were flat, I would definitely tape it directly to the front of the cable box.

keith.sling Apprentice

Hello tailormade,

Alright, well it sounds like covering the sensor with electrical tape may be the only option then. This isn't a typical Slingbox set up scenario. I know it won't be aesthetically pleasing but what I meant when I suggested taping the IR Emitter was to actually use the tape around the "eye" itself so as to block the signal from being sent to the other boxes, does that make sense? I've spoken with others with similar set ups as you are describing here and that is what they have done with success.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

The Sling Moderation Team

alanrichey42 Master

What the moderator is saying is that these Verizon devices all use the same IR codes to carry out actions.  I assume you have seen that any of your physical remotes pointed into the closet will have the same effect.

To be technical, they use an IR protocol called G.I.Cable with no parameters.   Now, the majority of AV devices use other IR Protocols that allow you to add a Device Code, so you can control different devices using the same protocol.   The IR Protocols used by DirecTV and Dish Network understand this problem and both have settings in the device where you can specify slightly different codes that should be used, known as Remote Addresses.  DirecTV use addresses 1-32 and Dish Network use 1-8.  So by switching each box, and it's associated physical remote, to different addresses you can stack multiple boxes and control them individually without interfering with the other boxes.   This is also possible to do through the Slingbox.

Unfortunately, Verizon boxes do NOT have this facility, so there is nothing Sling (or I) can do to help.  Your only option is a hardware fix to 'hide' the IR signals from adjacent boxes.  Maybe large pieces of cardboard above and to the sides of each box to block the signals?    Or place the IR Blasters inside cardboard tubes taped to the front over the sensor ?