3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2013 3:01 PM by fano3 RSS

Kindle Fire HD and port forwarding?

fano3

I cannot view my Slingbox Pro HD on my Kindle Fire HD when I am away from my home network. I get a message that it is not set up for Internet Viewing.  I know this is not the case because I can view my stuff from my Macbook when away from home.

I spoke with support at Amazon and they said Slingbox blocks the IP address and limits you to your home network IP adresss. Can anyone here verify this is true?

I then spoke with Slingbox support and they said it cannot be viewed outide the home unless I do port forwarding.   Would anyone by chance be able to explain/help me do this?

Really want to be able to view my Slingbox on my Kindle when away from home.

Thanks.

• Re: Kindle Fire HD and port forwarding?
          keith.sling Apprentice

Hello fano3,

Thanks for reaching out to us here. I do apologize for any inconvenience you're experiencing while trying to view your Slingbox away from home. I would advise manually configuring (port mapping/forwarding) your router for the best viewing experience when you are not at home. You will need to do this from a computer on the same network as the Slingbox at the home location, just go to setup.slingbox.com. You can use our Network Setup Assistant which will provide you with step by step instructions of the manual configuration. If you find that your router make and model are not listed through our Setup Assistant, you can also use portforward.com for guidance.

Here are a couple of articles from our support site with more information on port forwarding:

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

fano3

Thanks Kwhit.

I'm away from home at the moment but I'll try when I get home.  One thing I should mention, when I tried to use the Network Setup Assistant to configure, it did not have my router so I picked the closest one. When I clicked Launch, it went to a dead page.

I guess I figured that since it worked on my MacBook, internet viewing was set up and I would be able to view on my Kindle Fire.

fano3

So to add a little more information to this in case anyone can help. I spoke to Slingbox support and they tried to fix the problem.  They were great and took control of my cpu remotely to resolve the problem. However the tech said it looks like the problem lies with the hub I have connected in between the router an the box.   She was able to set everything up but said the hub kept dropping and clearing out the information she set up in the Port Forwarding section of my router and modem.  

I still cannot view my stuff on my Kindle from another location outside my home network.  However now I am getting the message that I'm not connected to the internet....when clearly I am.

Anyone else using a hub on their setup and if so having any issues? Or can provide some kind of fix?

Thanks.