37 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2010 9:15 AM by alanrichey42 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

remote

bostonmv

my remote control is different today. why. and how can i get back my comcast remote control?

• Re: remote
          alanrichey42 Master

OK, the word 'different' doesn't give us much to go on.  Unfortunately we aren't psychic    But as a first attempt to help, I will hazard a guess that you are showing the generic remote instead of a nice pretty Comcast one ?  Have you tapped on the Menu/Remote button at the top of the remote.  You might find the Comcast one as a selectable option.

rusharound

@alanrichey42

I have the same problem as the original poster, but the solution you suggested didn't work.

To repeat:  My remote is now the generic one.  I want the Comcast one.  When I select the drop down at the top of the remote, the only other option is a slightly stilized remote, but not one that looks like the Comcast remote that everyone seems to have. 

Do you have any other suggestions?  What other information do you need to help me ?

bostonmv

i figured out the answer. i just went back to setting up your slingbox instead of watching your slingbox. then kept clicking continue until i got to the section for selecting your remote and clicked on comcast remote and voila it was back. and its been there ever since!

alanrichey42 Master

That was going to be my suggestion if you said it was a supported Comcast box.  Honest

eferz Expert

Its too bad rusharound and bostonmv aren't the same person.  Hopefully, rush will get the idea from boston.

rusharound

Hi.

I should have mentioned that I already tried the "set up" approach.  When I choose DVR....

Picture 6.png

Then Comcast...

Picture 7.png

I get the following options:

Picture 8.png

The actual cable box is an Explorer 8300.  When I choose it, or any other, I get the following remote control:

Picture 9.png

When I try others, including the "Other" option, I get no funcitonality -- or -- the same remote pictured above.

Any other ideas?

eferz Expert

rusharound wrote:

The actual cable box is an Explorer 8300.  When I choose it, or any other, I get the following remote control:

When I try others, including the "Other" option, I get no funcitonality -- or -- the same remote pictured above.

Any other ideas?

http://www.vdn.ca/DATA/document/Explorer%208300.jpg

I don't understand what is your issue.  I have the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 and the picture above IS the what the physcial remote looks like.  Besides, it is more important that the Slingplayer's virtual remote supports the same functionality of the physical remote.  The aesthetics are relevant.

eferz Expert

Just thank the stars that you don't have to deal with the true generic  remote that's provided by Sling Media that a lot of people have to use.

generoc.jpg

bostonmv

well it worked for me when i clicked on "configure your slingbox" instead of "watch your slingbox"

also the comcast remote does have more features then the generic...the 'a' 'b' c'  buttons, for example,which you need for dvr functions

eferz Expert

Is it possible that the functionality of the other buttons are listed in the "Connect | Remote Keys | Custom##" ?

How about a picture of the comcast remote?

eferz Expert

Found this website (http://www.comcast.com/corporate/customers/customer_support/remotes.html) with the different Comcast Remote controls

Need To Find the Code to Program Your Remote Control?

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the Remote Codes. If you  don't have Acrobat Reader installed, you will need to download it now.

Comcast Digital Adapter Remote (DTA)

View  manual

Comcast Universal Remote - Red OK/Select Button

Comcast Custom DVR 3-Device      

View manual

Comcast Universal Remote - Gray OK/Select Button

View manual

Navigator M4078

Navigator M4078

View manual

AT&T 200

View manual

Enterprise ENT 6412

View manual

Millennium 4

View  Manual

Scientific Atlanta    

* Not all equipment available in all areas. Please call Comcast for  equipment availability in your area and additional details.

rusharound

You guys are great.

My problem hasn't been solved yet, but I really appreciate you sticking with me.

The issue is the remote that Comcast gave me (i.e. the only one I have) looks like this:

comcast_remote.jpg

And, as you say, the generic one that keeps popping up does not have all the same buttons.

Also, I'm on a Mac, so when I go in to change my settings, I'm choosing Slingbox Setup Assistant from the Help Menu. 

Picture 10.png

I do not see the "configure" menu option you speak of.

Next thoughts?  If you want, I will be on Skype - name is Rusharound.

Rush(Around)

alanrichey42 Master

Just as an experiment, when you run the 'Setup Video Sources' try

Type:  Cable Box

(and your ZIP/provider)

Manufacturer:  Comcast

Model No:       Other

The scroll all the way down the codes and select 'Custom' then enter C1283 in the new 'Custom Code' window,

Any good ?

If the right remote appears but the buttons don't work, what is the Manufacturer and Model number of your Cable box (If you told us before, sorry, but in this screen I can't go back and check)

Al

rusharound

Hi Alan -

When I selected Cable Box --> Comcast --> Other, I get this screen:

Picture 13.png

That is, I never get the chance to enter my zip code or C1282.

I tried all nine codes.  Only one works (i.e. the power button cycles the power), but the resulting remote control is missing a number of buttons:

Picture 14.png

vs:

comcast_remote.jpg

Other thoughts?  This shouldn't be so difficult(?)

alanrichey42 Master

Sorry, forgot to mention you need to do this in the standalone version of Slingplayer,   I am guessing you are trying it with the web-based player ?

eferz Expert

8400_b.jpg

I still don't understand.  All of the buttons are accounted for, the only difference is that the SA8300  remote skin has an additional button "Src".  It's the same remote with a different skin.  The only difference in the label of buttons is "List" = "My DVR"

rusharound wrote:

comcast_remote.jpg

Other thoughts?  This shouldn't be so difficult(?)

Yes, it's extremely difficult if Sling Media hasn't already created an skin of the exact remote.

alanrichey42 Master

rusharound wrote:

Hi Alan -

When I selected Cable Box --> Comcast --> Other, I get this screen:

Picture 13.png

That is, I never get the chance to enter my zip code or C1282.

It goes in the 'Alternative Code' window

alanrichey42 Master

I'm off to bed now 

But if the buttons did not operate your box correctly then here is a proper Custom remote tailored judt for you.

Put the C1283_PL.BIN file into your /Applications/SlingPlayer/Contents/Slingbox Setup Assistant/Contents/Resources/SBAV/ (Note that The Contents dirs won't show up unless you do a "Right-Click -> Show Package Contents" when navigating into an app's "Contents" directory.)

Then repeat the Video setup procedure.

Al

eferz Expert

Alan, don't forget that Sling Media's SA8300 remote's IR codes might not have all the buttons properly recorded.

I just remembered you created the one I'm currently using wihch can be downloaded from :    http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/wp-content/forum-file-uploads/alanrichey/Scientific-Atlanta-Explorer.zip

rusharound

We are so close!

I put the file where you told me to and restarted the app, revisited the setup wizard, and most of the buttons work.  ...except for "My DVR" which appears to be greyed out.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all your attention you two.  I appreciate it.  - Rush

eferz Expert

Try these two, they using the same IR codes, but the filenames will bring different skins.

rusharound

My apologies for describing this latest situation inadequately.

The button is greyed out and pressing it does not do anything.  That is, the "my dvr" button does not work.

Isn't my need (using a Comcast-issued DVR and getting the Comcast-looking remote) this rare? Do most consumers go through all this?

Appreciative as always,

R

eferz Expert

Right, the files are included with my post.  They both enable the button functionality.  Just each code / filename is associated with a different skin.

rusharound

Okay.

I unpacked the zip and loaded both files in the same area as previously instructed.  It's still not working.

Picture 16.png

C1283 behaves as previously described ("My DVR" is greyed out and does not work.

C1282 looks like this:

Picture 17.png

Listening for next step.

alanrichey42 Master

rusharound wrote:

My apologies for describing this latest situation inadequately.

The button is greyed out and pressing it does not do anything.  That is, the "my dvr" button does not work.

Isn't my need (using a Comcast-issued DVR and getting the Comcast-looking remote) this rare? Do most consumers go through all this?

Appreciative as always,

R

Edit:  I missed the last 2 posts while I was writing this

OK, I'm back now.  Let's take a breath and look at this situation.  My apologies that you are being bombarded with multiple files from 2 sides, it is just that we are both keen to help.  But I accept it does lead to some confusion,

Right, let me explain what is going on.  The Scientific Explorer 8300 box is a very common box and comes with it's own remote.  In your case Comcast have decided to use it for their DVR, but also decided they would issue with a special 'badged' Comcast remote.  Now, SlingMedia didn't know about this, so when you select Comcast and 8300 they assume you are using a standard SA8300 box and display that remote.  And although you don't need to know this the internal code for that remote is C1282.

Now, what I am trying to do is to map those Scientiic Atlanta codes onto your Comcast Remote, and the internal code for that remote is C1283.  So that is why I have been sending you the C1283 file.  (and eferz has been sending you both)

It appears that I was 99% successful and it all works except the My DVR button, and the reason that doesn't work is that the SA 8300 does not have a 'My DVR' function so I did not map anything to that button.  It appears that Comcast have put something on that button, but I have no idea what it is.  As a first guess, the SA 8300 does have a 'List' function, and the Comcast Remote does not, so I wonder if that is what they are using.

I have attached a new C1283 file that maps the 'List' function to the 'My DVR' button.   Is that right ?   if not, what EXACTLY happens on the real remote when you press the 'My DVR button.

Cheers

Al

eferz Expert

Strange.  My comcast file mapped "List" to the "My DVR" button too.  Is it possible the new file didn't replace the old one?  Anyways.  Now that your awake, I leave it up to your very capable hands.

rusharound

Hi Alan -

Thank you for the run down.  I have indeed been curious to know all the background here - your message helped me understand.  Great stuff.

I tried the "my list" button on the standard SA8300 remote and it did in fact pull up the "MY DVR" button.  So your hunch to map those two together appears to be sound.

So I was surprised that when I downloaded, installed and overwrote the old C1283 with your newest version that it produced the same outcome:  the MY DVR  button is greyed and clicking on it produced no result.  It's almost as if I was still using an old version?  I'll recheck my steps, but can you double check that the latest C1283 posted has the new mapping you described?

Oh, and one other thing I hope you can explain - are you employed by Slingbox?  Why else would you both spend the time to help one consumer (me) with his problem.  I'm grateful.

Rush

eferz Expert

Neither Alan nor I are employed by Sling Media.  I believe that both Alan and I participate on these forums as a hobby, and as the goodness of our hearts.  In fact, these custom remote files aren't supported by Sling officially.  Before we figured out that we can manipulate the filename/codes to associate it with realistic skins, we all had to deal with the Squarish Sling generic Remote which I posted earlier.

rusharound

I'm grateful for your hobby!

Unfortunately, I hope you'll keep with it, because I just reconfirmed that I installed the latest version (I did) and the My DVR button is still greyed out

Picture 1.png

and pressing it still does not do anything.

Perhaps useful:  When I depress the other button the actual button color changes (to indicate that it's been pressed).  This behavior does not happen with the My DVR button on the custom remote you made. If you want to watch on Skype, I can do a live screen share.  My name there is Rusharound.

Also, I'm attaching a copy of the file that's installed.

eferz Expert

That could mean one of two things.  Either it isn't a real button or there's nothing assigned to it.  The problem with these realistic skins is sometimes the buttons are laid out slightly different.  That probably why both Alan and my Comcast remotes didn't work as we planned.    At this point, I would ask you to go to this site http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/how-to-turn-on-slingplayer-slingbox-remote-debug-information .  To enable remote debug, so you can tell me the information displayed while hovering over the button.  But, I'll lave you to Alan since he's far more experienced at this than I am.

rusharound

Got it.

Do you have the instructions on how to turn on debug mode on a mac?

R

eferz Expert

Sorry.  Don't listen to me. I was saying that's what I would do if I was helping you.  At this point, I don't have a computer on.  I'm responding to you through my iPhone while I'm in bed.  Apparently, I got struck with yet another night of insomnia. Probably doesn't help that my rss feeds keep going off. Lol

alanrichey42 Master

Just ignore him 

You don't need to turn on debug mode, I know EXACTLY what is going on.   But with so many posts I am now losing track of the latest situation.

As I understand it the file I sent last night is not working, but I accept that might not have been the proper one.  So how does the one I sent this morning work ?  That definately has the 'List' function mapped to the 'My DVR' button.

Cheers

Al

alanrichey42 Master

rusharound wrote:

So I was surprised that when I downloaded, installed and overwrote the old C1283 with your newest version that it produced the same outcome:  the MY DVR  button is greyed and clicking on it produced no result.  It's almost as if I was still using an old version?  I'll recheck my steps, but can you double check that the latest C1283 posted has the new mapping you described?

Oh, and one other thing I hope you can explain - are you employed by Slingbox?  Why else would you both spend the time to help one consumer (me) with his problem.  I'm grateful.

Rush

I would never guarantee anything .  The attached is definately the right one.   If it still doesn't work I have come across situations where the file seems to be 'cached; so try configuring the remote for something completely different and then try the C1283 to force a refresh.

And as eferz said, we have nothing to do with Sling Media.  We are just 2 boring old ***** who hang around this forum, I guess we really should 'get a life'