9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2013 4:34 PM by jamesmccourt RSS

Slingcatcher not working overseas

Anniel Newbie

Recently I bought a Slingbox Solo and tested it in UK and it was fine. Now I am here in the Caribbean and the Slingcatcher will not work due to network error. I have a chap at home in UK who has spent ages making sure the set up is OK. But still I cannot use the Slingcatcher. My helper is reasonably savvy so if someone who knows how to deal with the problem, I can forward replies to him. My Slingcatcher has never really worked well and I was hoping that buying the Slinbox Solo would mean an end to my problems. Sadly that is not the case.

Grateful for any assistance you can give.

Ann S

• Re: Slingcatcher not working overseas
          jbondsr1 Newbie

Just a couple of questions:

1. Were you able to access your Slingbox Solo in UK from another PC/portable device from outside your home (or wherever the slingbox is connected)?

2. From your location in the Caribbean, can you test access to your slingbox from a PC using the web player or old desktop software? Do you get any network errors?

I just want to eliminate their being any issues with internet/router configurations in the UK and Caribbean before looking at the Slingcatcher as being the problem.

jamesmccourt Novice

Hey,

Almost 100% sure it will be the router settings in the UK (assuming you can watch your Slingbox Solo remotely via 'Watch' on your computer?). The SlingCatcher must have a TCP ONLY (not UDP or any mixture of the two) feed from the router in the UK. Often this has to be set manually on the router.

You have to go into your router while on your home network (that's a different process for every brand of router but usually easy) then identify all of the devices wired into the router and find the Slingbox Solo- then make a note of its IP address. You need to make sure port 5001 is open for the Slingbox Solo (that is the default so should be).

Then, go to 'port forwarding' and select TCP for the Slingbox Solo (either by using the IP address or port 5001 to identify it). This is the only type of feed a SlingCatcher can read. After that the SlingCatcher should work fine. Do be aware that if there's ever a power cut in the UK you may have to set the router again.

You can check your current feed by hitting ALT, SHIFT and ‘I’ on the old stand alone Slingplayer on your computer (scroll down the list to view the type of feed) or on ‘Watch’ by hitting Ctrl and left clicking in the video box- both of these must be done while the television feed is playing. You will see a TCP, SNATT or RELAY feed. Only TCP will allow the catcher to work. If it doesn't say that the UK router needs setting correctly.

Hope that helps!

J.

Anniel Newbie

Jbondsr1,

Yes, my friend back in the UK is able to access the slingbox from his home so it works there.

I can access the slingbox from my iPad and laptop but the speeds are not good enough and i get constant buffering. I do not get any neteork errors.

jamesmccourt Novice

Then it sounds as if your upload speed isn't good enough in the UK- hence the buffering.

If your friend goes to your home, logs on to your wireless router and tries www.speedtest.net it will give you the speeds. Usually Fibre Optic is much, much better than regular broadband. For example; Orange broadband offers upload speeds of around 700-900 Kbps but Virgin Fibre Optic offers 2500-2900 upload speeds. With Fibre Optic the picture should be far clearer and you shouldn't experience any stuttering.

Download speeds don't matter for a Slingbox....it's the upload.

J.