2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2013 5:23 PM by craig.sling RSS

Watch Slingbox In Another Room In Same House Without WiFi

seanz

Hey,

Strange question but basically I wanted to set it up so the slingbox is plugged in down stairs to my DVR. Someone up stairs can watch either through laptop, phone or another device without eating all the bandwidth on our network up as we use that for other stuff. Is it possible do use without effecting the Internet speed if connected to the router via a local network or similar?

Would also like option to watch out and about when nessacery but mainly for sending up stairs. What's best way to send signal/control without using bandwidth up over the Internet?

• Re: Watch Slingbox In Another Room In Same House Without WiFi
          eddieflecher

I called support today and they could not tell me if this was possible.

Anyone?

• Re: Watch Slingbox In Another Room In Same House Without WiFi
            craig.sling Novice

Hello seanz,

Thanks for the great question. With Slingbox a router is needed. Without the router we can not even see the Slingbox over the network either over the web or not. You would want to connect the Slingbox to a router and the computer or mobile device to the same router. This would be the most effective way of watching the Slingbox. With this configuration the Slingbox would first connect over the Internet and than if found on the same subnet it would start streaming over the local network and not eat your bandwith. If you are outside of the home this would not be the same result.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team