8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2012 9:51 AM by Ramboxman RSS

Video Buffer Change location - SSD C: to Hard Disk D:

markusrow

Does anyone know how to change the location of the Vidoe Buffer file to a different disk drive?

I have an SSD C: drive which should not be repeatedly and continuosly written to because it only has a limited lifetime with respect to Write Cycles.  Great for loading OS and Slingplayer really fast, but not for paging files and buffer files.

I looked in the registry but could not find anything. Windows 7

Thanks

Mark

• Re: Video Buffer Change location - SSD C: to Hard Disk D:
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Marcusrow,

Interesting question.  I don't know the answer but I'd enjoy finding out.

I'm curious, can you install and run the app from D: ?  If so, does the buffer follow with it ?

I'd like to try it myself but my Windows box died a few days ago so I'm Mac-only until I get the replacement parts.

- Az

markusrow

Hi AZ

If I reinstall or move the program folder to the D drive, then loading the app becomes slow, which defeats the object of buying an SSD drive.  I did some more searching, looking for recently created files and finally found the Video Buffer files.

AppData in Win7 apparently replaced the previous Win versions' Documents and Settings folders.

They are located in this directory on Win7  -

%USERPROFILE%/AppData/Local/Temp/SlingCordings/{875?????........}/

They are named Slingrecfile_#00.smf .. Slingrecfile_#01.smf and so on to Slingrecfile_#60.smf.  So 61 files.

SlingPlayer 2.0 creating usually one per minute of average 1.3 MB per file.  This is will wear out my cheap SSD which does not have TRIM.

The files get re-used in rotation, so that file number 60 is not the last file, just file no 60, thus only the last file like any other only 1/61 of the time.

Since they are re-created and there is no registry entry.

The AppData location is specified in registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User    Shell Folders

Value  Local AppData = %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local

I changed it to = D:\AppData\Local  but SlingPlayer 2.0 still uses the original location.  So obviously is not using the registry key for location of Local AppData, but hardcoded the Temp directory as a subdirectory of %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local.  Not very friendly!!

No luck.  On the plus side I did find out how to move all the other cache files for Explorer etc to the D: Drive.

Any thoughts?

Mark

Thanks for the details Mark, that's some handy sleuth work you did. 

Since the temp dir is hardcoded for %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local and the Player doesn't pay attention to the registry key, I can't think of a way around it.  Admittedly, I know very little about Win 7 yet.

Sling set up a feature request section on the board, looks like you've found a good candidate to add to the list.  You can find it here.

I hope someone else can help you find a workaround !

Happy trails,

- Az

markusrow

Hi Az

Got It.  Slingplayer 2.0 Video Buffer is using

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment

Value = TMP

Data = %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

changed this to D:\AppData\Temp, and working perfectly.

I will add the request to the list as you suggest.

Mark

Sweet ! 

Thanks for sharing your findings Mark, that's good info.  I appreciate the time you invested.

- Az

Ramboxman

Changing this setting affects Amazon's UnBox Video downloader and Dropbox, any other workarounds?

Terewan

You can create a junction if you only want to specifically change the location where the video buffer files are stored. Essentially, you're creating a symbolic link to fool the Slingplayer application into thinking the files are still being stored in their original directory, but they're actually being stored elsewhere.

Follow these steps:

1) Create your target directory where you want the buffer files saved. In my case, I used "d:\AppData\SlingCordings"

2) Make sure Slingplayer is closed and then delete the original SlingCordings directory (located at "c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\SlingCordings")

3) Download the Junction utility (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768) and put it in your root directory.

4) Open a command prompt (make to do so as an Administrator). Go to the directory where you put the Junction app and then type the following:

junction "c:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Temp\SlingCordings" "d:\AppData\SlingCordings"

That should do it.

It worked for me. Hopefully, it works for you.

Ramboxman

Thanks, Just installed windows 8 on a new Samsung SSD drive and use Sling alot in the background for news and stocks and your method with the juction worked perfectly.  Just be sure to have the correct drive letter in the new path unlike me who could not figure out how to remove incorrect junction and ended up reimaging from Aconis and this time got it right! Also realized I had a windows old and remove like 21.6GB so it was not a total waste of time.  I had to reinstall windows 8 after a week of troble shooting and still not sure what happen since it is running solid now and for the most part I used the same programs, I thinking that the app data folder being moved could of cause issues so for anyone running Windows 8 be sure to use junction for Slingplayer and not move you app data in the registry.  Also juction works great for iTunes especially if you backup to your pc since it will greatly eat up your current partions size. I am not installing iTunes until the newest version comes later this month suppose to be a redisgned lets hope it works this time better on windows.  One last thing I wish Slingplayer for PC was still being supported since I hate the browser plugins and use sling primarily on my PC in my office. Come on Sling, I am trying to keep our friendship but some things really tick me off with you guys.

Thanks to all...