6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2014 11:51 PM by chadsdsmith RSS

Galaxy S3 output to HDTV

ACC4829682

I have a Slingbox 500 all set up and working great.  I use it through PCs and Macs, an Android tablet and my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone.  It works beautifully and I really like this product.

When I'm traveling, I like to connect my tablet or phone to an HDTV so I can watch the Slingplayer on a big screen.  This works great with my tablet (Asus tf300t), but I'm having an issue with output from the Galaxy S3 phone.

I can connect the phone to the TV without problems (using the OEM Samsung 11-pin MHL adapter).  I get a full 16:9 display, audio, etc.  But when I watch HD content through the Slingplayer, it doesn't display in 16:9.  It looks closer to 4:3 (maybe a bit larger) and the quality looks degraded.  The video on the phone is still fine (16:9, good quality)-- it's just the image on the TV.

A couple bits of information for reference:

- I'm using the component connection.  My cable box doesn't seem to allow anything through HDMI from the Slingplayer.

- When I watch videos on the phone through the Youtube app, they display in 16:9 on the TV with good quality.

Anyone have any insight on this?  Any way to fix it?

I'm happy to provide any further details if needed.

Thanks,

Scott

• Re: Galaxy S3 output to HDTV
          ACC4829682

Friends at Slingbox-- anyone have feedback on this?

Thanks,

Scott

craig.sling Novice

Hello acc4829682,

Thank you for posting on the answers forum. I would like to help you with you HD issue. I do have one Question for you. Are you streaming the HD channels on HD quality? If your streaming the device in SQ and trying to see a HD picture it will cause it to drop the picture to a SQ picture.

I hope this help.

Thank you,

Sling Moderation Team.

chadsdsmith

since the op did not respond, I will because I am dealing with the same issue. When I use the mhl connection on my galaxy s3, I have a full 16x9 aspect ratio on my phone, but the mirrored image on my hdtv is 4x3. I can use the zoom fuction on my tv to fill the screen, but that is not optimal for the overall picture quality. You tube and other apps and games fill my hdtv just fine, but this one and netflix (same problem with netflix...4x3 on hdtv, 16x9 on the phone) both seem to be limited at the developer end. This is with all content I view on the slingplayer app. Any help is greatly appreciated.

avwuff

I am experiencing the same problem using MHL output on the Galaxy Note 2.

Here is a photo of the problem:

http://www.avbrand.com/personal/20131118_224354.jpg

Here you can see that the image on my phone is 16:9 and the image on the TV in the background is 4:3.  Switching to "SD" mode solves the problem, but does have lower quality.

This is in the most recent version of the Slingplayer app as of right now.

-av

mdemond

I am having this issue with my galaxy note 2 connected with mhl adapter. My Pro HD is connected by component and I'm watching hd content. The phone is in hd mode (not sd) and the mhl output to my hdtv is squeezed into 4:3. The phones screen is displaying 16:9 just fine. Switching the app to sd fixes the aspect ratio but then the image resolution suffers.

Trust us slingbox, there is an issue here.

chadsdsmith

I thought I would update this thread with a recent experience following the recent update to the slingplayer app. Now that the app has an auto quality setting, my s3 will now dipsplay a full 16:9 aspect to an mhl connected tv. It might take a few minutes, but after getting a quality signal, it will flash to full screen with what appears to be a much higher resolution than before, so thank you slingbox for finally fixing this issue!!