10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2011 4:50 AM by emasagung RSS

Can we connect 2 slingboxes on same Router

dream Newbie

Can we connect 2 slingbox on same router.

If yes what settings we should do in Modem page for port forwarding

• Re: Can we connect 2 slingboxes on same Router
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Dream,

You can have more than one Slingbox on your network.

For local viewing at home, no further changes are required.  Just hook it up and run Setup Assistant in the normal way.  You should be able to see both Slingboxes in the Directory.

For remote viewing, you have to make two changes:

- On your Slingbox, you need to select a different port.  The default is 5001, I'd suggest using 5002 for the second Slingbox.  Do this from setup.slingbox.com.

- On your Router, set port forwarding up just like the first one, except use Port 5002 and point to the IP for the second Slingbox.  Do this from your router's config pages.

That's it.  You might need to add your second Slingbox to the Directory if it doesn't show up.  On the Web Player, click Slingbox Directory then Watch a different Slingbox.  You can also go to accounts.slingbox.com and do it there.

Hope this helps,

- Az

dream Newbie

generally when we forward the 5001 port we do it by 192.168.1.237 regardless of what is the current ip of slingbox.

So now when we have 2 slingbox attached to a router how can we map same 192.168.1.237 IP to 5001 & 5002 port I dont think this will work.

Please let me know if I am wrong

So now when we have 2 slingbox attached to a router how can we map same 192.168.1.237 IP to 5001 & 5002 port I dont think this will work.

Good point !  You're correct, that won't work.  I didn't mention anything about that because it'll probably take care of itself, and if it doesn't it is a very easy fix.

Here's the deal:

- Slingbox obtains an IP address on your network automatically using DHCP, or you can manually specify a static IP during set up.  Your choice.

- If you leave it alone and let things work automatically, you should not end up with an IP conflict (because of DHCP).

- You correctly noted that Slingbox seems to like the x.x.x.237 address.  I don't fully understand that.  If it becomes a problem, give them a static IPs.

- When everything is installed and configured each Slingbox will have its own unique IP and port assignment, and your router will have two port forwarding entries: One for 5001 pointing to Slingbox #1 local IP, a second for 5002 pointing to Slingbox #2 local IP.

- When viewing locally on your network, the Slingbox Directory in your Player will automatically detect both Slingboxes.  Click on the one you want to watch and that's it.

- When viewing remotely over the internet, the Directory keeps track of your Slingboxes a little differently.  The Web Player, Windows full Player app, and certain versions of SlingPlayer Mobile use a central list of your Slingboxes that is tied to your online Sling account.  This is so you don't have to configure each player.  Just log in when prompted and your Directory pulls down the list.  You can manage that from the directory or at accounts.slingbox.com.  Note that Player versions that don't support the online directory list (like the Mac Player) still work but you have to manually add new Slingboxes.  No big deal, just a few extra steps.

I prefer-- and have had great results-- with using static IPs on Slingboxes from the start.  I think it's a definite bonus if you have multiple Slingboxes.   Here's how I set mine up:

By default, the DHCP block on my Linksys router had 50 addresses starting at 192.168.1.100.  I changed that so DHCP started at 192.168.1.110, and I used 192.168.1.100-109 for static IPs.  Two Slingboxes, my network printer, a media server, a network hard disk, and 5 extra for the future.

Note that I did it the hard way.  I didn't need to move the DHCP block, and any valid address on the subnet that is outside the DHCP block and not already assigned can be used for static IPs.  I did it this way because it's easy to remember.  100-109 is static, 110 and higher is DHCP.

Hope this helps,

- Az

dream Newbie

I think its working fine

I simply did this

forwarder port 1 5001 for 1st sling 192.168.1.237

2nd Sling 5003 192.168.1.237.

Its working fine

Hey, that's good news !

I'm a little surprised since both ports are pointing to the same IP but if it works, it works.    Glad you sorted it out.

Happy trails,

- Az

Bryanod Novice

Its possible that your set up is working but its not actually doing what your intending. No 2 network devices can use the same ip.  Only 1 sling is actually 192.168.1.237.  Your can check this by opening a dos prompt and typing arp -g.   On your lan both sling boxes can use port 5001 because each will have a different ip. On your Lan 1 sling will be 192.168.1.237:5001 the other will be 192.168.1.238:5001  From the wan side 1  sling will be (your wan ip):5001 with a port forward to 192.168.1.237:5001 the other would have to be (your wan ip):5003 with a port forward to 192.168.1.238:5001. Your port forward of 192.168.1.237:5003 can't be done if a sling is already configured for 192.168.1.237:5001. 

dream Newbie

Hi

I am facing a issue with my setup

I have 2 slingboxes connected to one modem

To one Slingbox I give IP 192.168.1.252 and port 5004

to 2nd slingbox I give IP 192.168.1.253 and port 5005

It works fine when I power off and again replug 2nd sling box is unable to connect it does not show Network light( I think some collasion occurs)

When I remove one slingbox and switch on other the Network light comes UP. It means some IP CONFLICT occurs, can anyone help how to resolve IP conflict.

Thanks

emasagung

Hello All,

Im also having problem connecting 2 slingboxes into the same router. Although this 2 slingboxes showed up in the directory list, but 1 could not be view for internet viewing.

It's frustrated because I just recently bought slingbox solo!!

I am using 2wire 2701 router from att, can somebody help me?

Thanks in advance.

Rgds,

EM