13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2013 9:21 AM by sdiego101 RSS

SlingBox 500 Slow Motion Delayed via PC and Fast Motion Spurts via iPhone

JazJon Newbie

Hey all,

I just got my new Slingbox 500 today.  I can't get it to play anything smoothly so far.

Why would the video playback be in SLOW motion. (delayed more and more the longer you watch it, watch the bar get further ahead) via PC?  (Firefox or Chrome is the same) My Lapotp is a SSD i7 super fast Windows 8 machine.   Even if I pick the lowest quality setting, it's the same

Video Example:http://youtu.be/sEU_9U20TE8

Why would the video playback be super FAST on iPhone SlingPlayer?  (super fast, pauses, supe fast, pauses)

Video example: http://youtu.be/q6BMoeAhBrc

This is on my home gigabit & wifi 5gz N  network so bandwidth isn't an issure.   The Slingbox AND laptop is connected via ethernet.

I tried resetting the Slingbox back to factory defaults and trying again.

The input is my DVR via HDMI.

You can see network status when I hit Ctrl + Click Video to pull up the properties window near the end of the second video above.

I see a lot of complaints of strange slow motion video in the forums.  Is their a fix for this? (or known problem?)

I'll most likely call sling support tomorrow but wanted to post details here.

• Re: SlingBox 500 Slow Motion Delayed via PC and Fast Motion Spurts via iPhone
          JazJon Newbie

Ok so I called Sling support, and the tech kept insisting I use Component instead of HDMI.  It's almost as if they are enticing customers to buy this for HDMI but then convince them to use Component after you get it.  (ok, well whatever works)

I'm using a Mini PC with Intel 4000 HDMI running Windows 8 Media Center.  (and a special HDMI splitter that takes away HDCP)

As a test, I'll see how Component streams.  I don't have any Component devices, so I just ordered the HDMI XBOX 360 cable.  Once I get that I can test to see if the SlingBox streams compoment smoother than HDMI video.  I might be able to barrow one from a friend later tonight as well instead of waiting until Tuesday.

If it’s successful………

I just ordered the MonoPrice HDMI to Component & R/L Stereo Audio Converter (MYCH01 / Product ID: 8125)  Monoprice discontinued it a few weeks ago, but you can still find it via google shopping search

As I said I have a special HDMI splitter, so I'll put splitter output #1 into the TV and splitter output #2 into this new HDMI to Component converter.  I'll then put the converted Component output into the Component input of the slingbox.

If the Component test is NOT successful…………

I’ll return this 500 and exchange it for a new one on Amazon. (or maybe I should just get the 350 then?)

tcaradonna Novice

It seems ridiculous, but yes, despite creating a Slingbox with HDMI, they will always defer to using component.  They cannot endorse using any product or setup that defeats HDCP (not their fault).  So what we are attempting here is "off-label" and grey use.

I think you will be pleased with the quality results of component.  As you know it's an analog format, but that doesn't imply it can't handle HD.  I'm still using my Pro-HD getting 1080i and I'm quite happy with the results.  Also, as you probably know, there is no HDCP for component, so no encrypted signals.  The problem is getting your signal to component.  I don't know anything about the cable you bought, but perhaps with your splitter-->HDMI to component cable setup, you can defeat the HDCP.  Essentially what you'll have is an HDFury3.

And I agree, you might as well have a 350 or Pro-HD.

Back to your original problem, is Slingbox saying that your imput setup is the cause of the poor slingplayer performance?  That sounds like a lot of rubbish.

Anyway, keep us posted.  Thanks!

JazJon Newbie

I'm just confused on who exactly is happy with the HDMI input?  My 1080P HDMI is HDCP defeated yet it's choppy/weird.   Maybe low res 1080i HDMI users are good to go.

Well the Monoprice HDMI to Component & R/L Stereo Audio Converter (MYCH01 / Product ID: 8125) is no longer in production and Monoprice removed their product page.   I tried to order one form ebid (found via google product search) but the guy just emailed me saying he was out of stock.   eCRATER says they have them in stock so I just placed an order, hopefully it's not another false inventory.    It looks like only 1 has been sold on eBay in the past few weeks, and I don't see any in stock currently.   As soon as I get one, hopefully it's as easy as converting one of the HDMI outputs of my HDMI splitter into 1080P Component and the SlingBox will be happier with that to stream smoothly.

I guess I'll just keep the 500 for now even if I end up not using the HDMI input.  I like the mega IR blast out the front, and returning it for the 350 would be a hassle.  Maybe Sling will tweak the firmware further to optimize non-HDCP 1080P HDMI PC sources like mine.

I don't need the SlingProjector so don't care that the HDMI Splitter I use severs that option.  I use AirServer (AirPlay) app on my HTPC
                  http://www.airserverapp.com/

Stand by for further progress reports.

tcaradonna Novice

Moome EXT-FULLHD v3 (comes with Component Cable adapter & both  digital/analog audio out, don't be folled by VGA dsub connector)

http://www.moomecard.com/

or

HDFury3  or HDFury4 (both come with Component Cable adapter & both  digital/analog audio out, don't be fooled by VGA dsub connector)
                http://www.hdfury.com/

I think for either of these 2, they already do HDCP stripping, so no need for a splitter.  Interestingly, the HDFury products are marketed thru Amazon in Japan, yet for some reason not in the US.  And Japanese corporations are fanatical about DRM.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/HDFURY-HDFURY3BL-HDFury%E2%85%A2-BlackEdition/dp/B0053OGXSG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359851385&sr=8-1

My main Slingbox is in Japan, and I may have to buy one in the near future because "they" might disable the component out on my DVR.  (Yes, they can do this with firmware updates to my box.)  Already by law they can't sell any STBs/Tuners/DVRs etc that have component out on them, since about 2010.